Heritage Owners Club

Effects and Amps Can't Help Us...

According to this guy, all the technology in the world doesn't make up for a lack of talent... Sort of puts any modeling amp, guitar, or recording device in perspective. You can have the best stuff money can buy and sound like crap, or have the cheapest bargin bin stuff and sound great...

http://www.guitarworld.com/session-guitar-technology-cant-help-you-sound-better-if-practice-what-you-really-need

Guest HRB853370

According to this guy, all the technology in the world doesn't make up for a lack of talent... Sort of puts any modeling amp, guitar, or recording device in perspective. You can have the best stuff money can buy and sound like crap, or have the cheapest bargin bin stuff and sound great...

http://www.guitarwor...you-really-need

I totally agree. Great players need minimal FX to get their sound. Plus, the more FX you have, the easier it is to mask mistakes and lack of talent!

Guest HRB853370

That's why I buy the best guitars and the fanciest efx. Got to cover it up somehow.

Doesn't hurt to have a great band to play with either does it!

I totally agree. Great players need minimal FX to get their sound. Plus, the more FX you have, the easier it is to mask mistakes and lack of talent!

Great players don't 'need' effects to sound great, but most leverage an array of effects to get their very specific tones.

Me too..i know i keep saying this, but Jimmy Page recorded all his guitar parts for the first Zeppelin album using a Telecaster and a small Supro amp..

That's why I buy the best guitars and the fanciest efx. Got to cover it up somehow.

LOL..Me too..

Huh? You talking to me?! (in my best de niro accent...)

yes, grasshopper . . . .

so . . . sell your 140, and all your lovely equipment. Get a cigar box and string it up - I'll bet you can get it cheap, and practice your heart out.

I agree with it. (I mean, look at my signature). I also agree that this isn't new. I will go further to say this is probably the most easily forgotten bit of information that musicians get. I will also say there is something to be said about the right equipment. Notice I didn't say good equipment. Now, I guess it could be pretty easy to say you will have less breakdowns with a JC120 or a Soldano than you might with a Bugera (I say this as they have an atrocious breakdown rate historically which is a shame due to how good they sound). That is where I might assign the term good or bad. Beyond that, is all taste, opinion and, worse, fanboy opinion.

I can honestly say I have preferred the recorded Axe-Fx tones over the similar tones from the real amps they modeled. The difference is slight, but there. That is a perfect example. What I like about the Axe-Fx is how articulate it sounds. What I call articulate the next guy might call harsh. What you average tube fan calls warmth I often call mud but there are tube amps that just sound wonderful to my ears.

yes, grasshopper . . . .

so . . . sell your 140, and all your lovely equipment. Get a cigar box and string it up - I'll bet you can get it cheap, and practice your heart out.

I make my own cigar box guitars...

image001-4.jpg

IMG042.jpg

And I still have my 140...They are perfect for old school delta blues.

All I can say about talent vs equipment that is brief is... all a really good guitar and amp will do for someone who lacks the talent will make that lack of talent sound worse... better. haha.

"That's insane, but he creates a very unique style of music that is hard to duplicate."

That's why he's The Edge.

I found the article refreshing, and unexpected, given that it was published in a magazine whose profits are generated by selling advertising for more and more gear. In my opinion, 95-98% of the "signal path" that influences the musicality and tone of what a guitarist plays is between ears-brain-fingers, and yet we, myself included, devote a wildly disproportionate amount of time to the 5% or less accounted for by gear.

Why? I guess my opinion on that is too political for current board standards. Suffice to say that I love guitars and amps for their craftsmanship and distinctive design, and for their distinctive sounds and feels, but, I have no illusion that new gear is going to make me a better player or even fundamentally change my tone. That comes from talent, certainly, but perhaps more significantly, from work. (and a good thing for me, since I don't have much talent.) My two cents, of course.

I found the article refreshing, and unexpected, given that it was published in a magazine whose profits are generated by selling advertising for more and more gear. In my opinion, 95-98% of the "signal path" that influences the musicality and tone of what a guitarist plays is between ears-brain-fingers, and yet we, myself included, devote a wildly disproportionate amount of time to the 5% or less accounted for by gear.

Why? I guess my opinion on that is too political for current board standards. Suffice to say that I love guitars and amps for their craftsmanship and distinctive design, and for their distinctive sounds and feels, but, I have no illusion that new gear is going to make me a better player or even fundamentally change my tone. That comes from talent, certainly, but perhaps more significantly, from work. (and a good thing for me, since I don't have much talent.) My two cents, of course.

In light of skydogs thread, I need to note one exception to the ramble above: guitars bought in auctions that benefit worthy humanitarian causes absolutely DO improve your playing --it's a karma thing, plugs directly into the 95% between ears/brain(heart) and fingers ...

In light of skydogs thread, I need to note one exception to the ramble above: guitars bought in auctions that benefit worthy humanitarian causes absolutely DO improve your playing --it's a karma thing, plugs directly into the 95% between ears/brain(heart) and fingers ...

+10

Archived