Heritage Owners Club

My New 150CM Ultra Just Arrived - Not 100%

Hodbad

well, I did say that in the first reply

"it is normal to have a visible seam there, as the maple cap comes down below the binding in the cutaway"

but there is a sliver of wood ( maple ) where it either got scraped off, or missed during spray...not a huge deal in my opinion, but on a brand new guitar definitely a faux pas & I would talk to the store/mfr

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm. awesome looking guitar, but I don't think that's an "ultra". Usually those have gold hardware, and possibly upgraded other things. The top looks to be a standard top. I have pretty much the same guitar, right handed in sunsetburst.

It does look to be a very nice guitar.

Also, as others have said, it looks like someone over taped or over scraped around the binding. I've seen it on guitars before. I've got a bit of it on my Gibson SG SUPREME where the back color meets the top coolor. I wouldn't worry about it, and again, it's just the nature of things being hand made sometimes.

I say enjoy it, and play it well! definitely talk to the dealer you got it from about that whole "ultra" thing though. If it's an ULTRA it should say ultra. on the sticker inside the control cavity.

Basically, H-150CM Ultra=H-150 "with ultra top, gold parts, and HRW pickups" (from 2005 price list). At that time, the HRWs alone were an extra $160.00 each. You should at least get some money back because you didn't get the pickups that you ordered. The Duncans will sound great, but you didn't get what you ordered. The problem is the dealer sold something that doesn't exist anymore. I'm curious about another angle. Check the back of the headstock for the serial number. Look up the letter prefix to see when your guitar was made.

Wow , 24 posts and nobody has noticed that's the top wood showing underneath the binding in the cutaway. My Les Paul (and I'm sure every Les Paul/H-150 with a maple top) has the same thing. The maple top is a little thicker in the cutaway so the binding doesn't fully cover it and a little shows through underneath. I'm surprised nobody here knew that.

Anyway, beautiful guitar - enjoy!

I saw it right away...and I did know that, but how could you not know that for a number of years, LPs were made with a wider binding that hid that seam?

I saw it right away...and I did know that, but how could you not know that for a number of years, LPs were made with a wider binding that hid that seam?

Just a few examples. It's quite common. Not sure if vintage Les Pauls had this or not, or if it's just the RIs.

2648_p36467.jpg

cutaway.jpg

251_p55893.jpg

vwx0XskJl87aW4SisWJAdagV3.jpg

CutawayBinding.jpg

original.jpg

cutaway-1.jpg

LP295GTCB1_FC.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I hope that I haven't discouraged any non Heritage owners from considering buying one of these incredible instruments, and as I said in the first post , it's a keeper and isn't going back over the pond. I have fallen hopelessly in love with her. The dealer issue will work itself out I'm sure, I spoke to Ren and he is digging out the production records, to close the matter once and for all. Anyway life must go on , and I've just placed an order for a H555, but through Jay Wolfe this time , he gives me a lot of confidence and I'm sure it will be 110%

Welcome to the forum Hodbad. That's a beautiful VSB. It seems to have a little more color to it than many of others I've seen that are more yellow.

I spent 8 months living in Basel during 2010. It's a beautiful country. One thing I noticed was that prices for guitars in Switzerland are about double what I'd expect to pay here in the U.S. So, I have a feeling you made out pretty well ordering on-line.

I have a couple of Ultra's. One is a Millennium Std, the other an H-150 Dlx. Neither have the binding issue you have. No doubt my maple caps are a bit thinner at the edges. I'd chaulk it up to these guitars being largely hand made as opposed to using automated CNC equipment. That may not be much consolation but even so, I think you have an distinctive instrument that will be envied by many of your Swiss friends.

Look forward to seeing more from you as time goes on.

Cheers Blu

Yep prices in Swiss are a little eye watering, usually list price plus a premium, and most US dealers won't ship out to Europe for new Gibsons and Fenders. Couldnt believe my luck in finding Heritage, such a great history, and tradition, I'm converted ! And spreading the word.

Ok think this will be my final post on this one, Ren checked the records and tells me it was made as an Ultra, the issue with gold hardware seems to be that 150s come with nickel chrome hardware unless otherwise specified, and that's from the horses mouth. Thanks for all your comments and advice, I learnt quite a lot along the way and you guys were brilliant, now I have a long agonising wait for the 555 (possible nick name "almost the beast")

cheers guys

The best i can tell ya is that this is the nature of 100% handamde intruments sometimes. The important thing is...How Does It Play?

thats what matters most!

Yep..Not to minimize your concerns, but if it sounds great, Plug it in and enjoy it!! Welcome to the club!!

• 1 month later...

resurrecting this old thread, just because the build of these guitars is so interesting. Last night in the studio, I spent my fair share of time sitting while others worked, and for most of that time, I played my buddy's '72 Deluxe, unplugged, of course, just noodling. I started to notice the construction, however, and remembered this thread. I let the pictures tell the rest of the story. What's happening here? This seem like a completely different build.

Again, this is a Kalamazoo built '72 Lester Deluxe, bone stock.

c391637e.jpg

a30714e6.jpg

It seems that there are two layers of mahogany, and no visible cap by the neck joint, like the photos in this thread indicate

these two photos are just for fun. Sorry the quality is so bad.

74f6c40a.jpg

7436de55.jpg

Hi there

So first of all I'm left handed, and English living in Switzerland so I just can't pop around the corner to the Heritage dealer to try out a selection of models, I had to trust on a variety of reviews, and buy online from the States. My overall opinion of the guitar is that it is a great instrument both in looks and playability. However there is one minor defect which jumped out at me as soon as I held it, the binding around the cutaway looks scrappy compared to the rest of the body. I'd be interested in your opinions, I'm pretty sure its not upto the standard Heritage normally put out, any ideas what has happended here, almost looks like it

was rectified some how, but I'm no expert.

One other thing is that I was under the impression (maybe wrongly) that the Ultra came with Gold Plated Hardware, this is obviously Nickel. Is there a definative spec for this model or do the specs change from time to time/. Ive figured out CM stands for Curly Maple but not sure what the Ultra title covers.

Anyway its a keeper and not going back over the pond. But would be grateful for your input.

Cheers

Mark

post-6692-0-76464800-1331468255_thumb.jpgpost-6692-0-10056900-1331468275_thumb.jpg

I had a 150 ultra in vsb, and it had the same type of attempt at blending from the maple to mahogany, looked pretty similar to what your does. But there should be gold hardware if it's an ultra as well as hrw pickups.

resurrecting this old thread, just because the build of these guitars is so interesting. Last night in the studio, I spent my fair share of time sitting while others worked, and for most of that time, I played my buddy's '72 Deluxe, unplugged, of course, just noodling. I started to notice the construction, however, and remembered this thread. I let the pictures tell the rest of the story. What's happening here? This seem like a completely different build.

c391637e.jpg

a30714e6.jpg

It seems that there are two layers of mahogany, and no visible cap by the neck joint, like the photos in this thread indicate

74f6c40a.jpg

7436de55.jpg

I'm no Gibson expert but that looks like a pancake body, two piece with a three piece top.

Hi Mark, welcome to the HOC, you have a fantastic looking guitar. Used Heritage guitars are the best value in Europe, but without a doubt, Jay Wolfe is the guy to buy from if you are importing a new guitar. I have a 555 and swapped all the gold hardware for nickel, so there you go, on a personal level I would never have gold. As beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so what? Glad you like yo guitar, it looks superb...

Where in England are you from?

I have come to the same conclusion on buying and have a H555 on order from Jay at the moment, six weeks away and counting down. Originally I came from Chorley just over the hill, but live in Zurich now. Thanks for the welcome

c391637e.jpg

a30714e6.jpg

Looks perfectly normal to me. Les Paul's of that area had a "pancake body" which was too slabs of mahogany glued together. Also, they used thicker binding and were able to cover up all of the top, which has switched back and forth a lot over the years. That is one beautiful guitar. It's very rare to see an original LP deluxe in that condition with the original pickups. Often people bought them and routed them out for full-size humbuckers.

Are you talking about the odd colored wedge between the binding and the body? If so, that's the maple top peeking through. I'm not sure if Heritage ever attempts to cover this, but Gibson occasionally uses a wider binding in that area to prevent the maple cap from showing. Take a look at my Deluxe for example:

P4020022.jpg

Of course, if this is not what you are referring to, then disregard this and accept this woo hoo! instead.

Archived