Heritage Owners Club

What is the best overdrive pedal?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just some OD's I've owned through the years (in no particular order):

LOL

At least another dozen (probably two) that I can't remember right now.

Trust me, there is no best overdrive. It depends on what you want, how you use it, what guitar/amp you are using it with, how your guitar/amp are set, are you stacking it or using it standalone, etc., etc., etc. There is no one best overdrive.

I recently sold a few stomps to twwo guitarists in the same band.

I was at a gig where they were and one said to me "when you hear how these thing sound you are going to want them back"

Dont ask me how but these guys got great....freaking awesome sounds out of stomps that just didnt work with my playing/guitar/amps/speakers/plectrum/lead.

They were using my ex Wampler Ecstacy, OCD, Zen, Suhr Riot. and Timmy.

The one that stood out was the Wampler Ecstacy. Through the Fender Deville 212 he had the best sound, better than the other guys Bad Cat. My my, it was a thing of pure rock and roll delight. I had never heard him sound that good. He had the biggest smile when he stepped on that thing.

As they were handing over the cash to me after the gig they gave me the oportunity to back out of the sale and I did pause for a second!

I know these are well liked stomps and others have great success with them, they just didnt work for me in any way. I found them too fizzy or flat or just wrong. I tried gigging with them but always wished I had bought my usual stomps that I like so I could get them off my board.

The thing about it is what actually works for me and works very well are two stomps that are not well received by a lot of people, one being the Visual sound Jekyll and Hyde and the other a very cheap Danelectro Transparent OD. They work through my gear and with me playing.

Its similar to how some people can make a JCM800 and 412 sound harsh, thin and buzzy and someone else can make them sound solid and huge.

What's the best overdrive pedal?

Answer: The last one you bought. In my case, that would be the CMATMODS Super Sigma Drive. There's ablsolutely none better...until I buy it.

If ever you want to know what the best amp, strat or LP is, I've got answers for those too. :icon_tongue:

+1

I hear great things about the Suhr Shiba. The clips sound great as well.

Is it an overdrive or a higher gain distortion pedal?

OD. Really nice warm tones. Works well with either SCs or HBs. I use it mostly for the harder, rockier tunes we do. Probably Suhr's take on a TS, like so many others. But it works.

Digitech Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive

It's cheap and it is amazing sounding.

I sold my Tubescreamer after I picked this guy up. imho, it is cheaper (< $100) and sounds better. Very nice range of sound (it has a switch to change voicing) and with the EQ system you can cover a huge range of sounds. Basically, if you can't find an overdrive sound you like you didn't spend enough time with the settings.

Digitech Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive

It's cheap and it is amazing sounding.

I sold my Tubescreamer after I picked this guy up. imho, it is cheaper (< $100) and sounds better. Very nice range of sound (it has a switch to change voicing) and with the EQ system you can cover a huge range of sounds. Basically, if you can't find an overdrive sound you like you didn't spend enough time with the settings.

I was just watching a video of the CM2 compared to the Bad Monkey..

My personal favorites are the Ibanez Tube Screamer series and Zendrive.

+1 on the Tube Screamer..it's the only overdrive that has never left my pedal board..And they are cheap to boot!! But I'm a half deaf Hillbilly.. :icon_sunny:

The best overdrive pedal is the one that sounds the best, to you.

LOL..Good Point Katy!!

Bought new and have been using it since 1984: Boss SD1.

I have a Maxon OD9 and an OKKO Diablo that I use the most.

I also have a vintage ProCo RAT pedal but I do not use it that often recently.

Overdrive pedals do nothing alone, they need an amp.

Maxon OD9 sounds great with Fenders and Marshalls but RAT sounds great with Vox.

OKKO Diablo has this Dumble tone that works great with Fender Amps.

Here is a nice example of Gregory Hilden.

Hi,

I was hoping that you might have responded to my 5 questions so I could suggest what I feel might work best for you. In the absence of that, I will suggest an overdrive pedal that I feel works very well as a clean boost to a low-medium overdrive with both Fender Blackface (scooped mids), Fender Tweed or many Marshall amplifiers (more pronounced mids) not knowing what type of amp you have, the style of music and I will assume you need a pedal that works with both single-coil and humbucking pickups 9e.g. low and high output).

Like many contributors to this post, I have been down the overdrive rabbit hole many times seeking a particular tone. There really is no "best" just some that match up better with your equipment and style of play. This is why there are so many out there. One pedal that I feel works quite well has been around in differing versions for about 15 years and it is based on a circuit originally introduced over 30 years ago.

The pedal is a Red Snapper by a company called Menatone:

http://www.menatone....ed_snapper.html

Brian Mena is the pedal designer. It is a very smooth, "open" sounding, uncompressed overdrive. It is based on the original Boss OD-1 circuit from the late 1970s. Unlike a Tubescreamer, it clips asymmetrically. It has two very useful EQ controls to control the high-frequency and one to control the distortion focus point within the mid-range which makes it more of less aggressive (different than just gain). What I like about this pedal is that your amp still very much sounds like your amp. It melds very well with any amp that I have tried it with. It is not cheap, nor is it crazy expensive ($180). It is available through a number of online dealers now:

http://www.menatone....09/dealers.html

Here is a demo from Youtube:

Aside from the Red Snapper, I have experience with the following other overdrives/boosts if you are interested:

• Analogman King of Tone V4 (overdrive/boost)
  • Barber Electronics B-Custom Cool
  • BJFe Honeybee Overdrive
  • Hermida Zendrive
  • Ibanez TS-808 Handwired
  • Jettergear Gain Stage Red
  • Lizard Leg Flying Dragon (boost)
  • Maxon OD-9 (with Analogman Silver Mod)
  • Maxon OD-820 Overdrive Pro
  • Paul C Audio Tim (overdrive/boost)
  • Skreddy Screw Driver
  • Xotic Effects RC Booster (boost)

As others have said, there is no "best" overdrive pedal. We are fortunate to live in a World where we have many options today. Many pedals are updated takes on the older pedals (Boss OD-1, Ibanez TS-808, MXR Distortion +, Proco Rat, Dallas Rangemaster or Colorsound Overdrive etc.). Some are original, but many are alterations on the classic pedals (in some cases much better IMO). You need to match one to your guitar, amp, style of play and musical genre to really find one that you are happy with.

My closing warning about this rabbit hole is that it is very easy to get sucked in. Each time, it is a relatively small investment. But like the frog in the pot of water heating up slowly; before you know it, you have spent the money equal to another amp (so beware!).

Good Luck,

Bob

A couple questions before I answer...

1) Single coils, Humbuckers or both? Both but more often HB's.

2) Amp set to clean or already on its own OD Clean.

3) What style of music do you play Blues.

4) Do you like your amps EQ/tonality or do you want to alter it with the overdriven tone? Overdriven tone

5) What amps will you use it with (some pedals work better with Fender BF, some better with Fender Tweed and Some better with Marshall etc.) Fender

Sorry I missed your post. Thanks for the long response above.

Bob

....I was hoping that you might have responded to my 5 questions so I could suggest what I feel might work best for you...

Some of the scenerios you're asking for may not apply to many of us... Some just use an overdrive as an overdrive on a clean amp....

Hi,

I was hoping that you might have responded to my 5 questions so I could suggest what I feel might work best for you. In the absence of that, I will suggest an overdrive pedal that I feel works very well as a clean boost to a low-medium overdrive with both Fender Blackface (scooped mids), Fender Tweed or many Marshall amplifiers (more pronounced mids) not knowing what type of amp you have, the style of music and I will assume you need a pedal that works with both single-coil and humbucking pickups 9e.g. low and high output).

Like many contributors to this post, I have been down the overdrive rabbit hole many times seeking a particular tone. There really is no "best" just some that match up better with your equipment and style of play. This is why there are so many out there. One pedal that I feel works quite well has been around in differing versions for about 15 years and it is based on a circuit originally introduced over 30 years ago.

The pedal is a Red Snapper by a company called Menatone:

http://www.menatone....ed_snapper.html

Brian Mena is the pedal designer. It is a very smooth, "open" sounding, uncompressed overdrive. It is based on the original Boss OD-1 circuit from the late 1970s. Unlike a Tubescreamer, it clips asymmetrically. It has two very useful EQ controls to control the high-frequency and one to control the distortion focus point within the mid-range which makes it more of less aggressive (different than just gain). What I like about this pedal is that your amp still very much sounds like your amp. It melds very well with any amp that I have tried it with. It is not cheap, nor is it crazy expensive ($180). It is available through a number of online dealers now:

http://www.menatone....09/dealers.html

Here is a demo from Youtube:

Aside from the Red Snapper, I have experience with the following other overdrives/boosts if you are interested:

• Analogman King of Tone V4 (overdrive/boost)
  • Barber Electronics B-Custom Cool
  • BJFe Honeybee Overdrive
  • Hermida Zendrive
  • Ibanez TS-808 Handwired
  • Jettergear Gain Stage Red
  • Lizard Leg Flying Dragon (boost)
  • Maxon OD-9 (with Analogman Silver Mod)
  • Maxon OD-820 Overdrive Pro
  • Paul C Audio Tim (overdrive/boost)
  • Skreddy Screw Driver
  • Xotic Effects RC Booster (boost)

As others have said, there is no "best" overdrive pedal. We are fortunate to live in a World where we have many options today. Many pedals are updated takes on the older pedals (Boss OD-1, Ibanez TS-808, MXR Distortion +, Proco Rat, Dallas Rangemaster or Colorsound Overdrive etc.). Some are original, but many are alterations on the classic pedals (in some cases much better IMO). You need to match one to your guitar, amp, style of play and musical genre to really find one that you are happy with.

My closing warning about this rabbit hole is that it is very easy to get sucked in. Each time, it is a relatively small investment. But like the frog in the pot of water heating up slowly; before you know it, you have spent the money equal to another amp (so beware!).

Good Luck,

Bob

I may still be in the rabbit hole. I've tried a lot of OD/distortions, and I think sometimes we are looking for something "better", that sounds like something we already have. I have gotten to the point that I'm just trying stuff to see if it may be better, and it usually isn't. I think I have what is called an "addictive personality", and gear is just one more addiction. :help::man_in_love_mini:

Archived