Heritage Owners Club

What is the best overdrive pedal?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your best EQ will still be your touch, choice of pick and your vibrato.

You can make even a clean amp sound a bit overdriven with your vibrato and touch.

I also have an addiction for gear but I am getting rid of it slowly.

Practicing, getting more skills and building up your own style will make you want less gear.

I used to use my vintage RAT all the time but I have noticed that it makes sound a bit like Scofield.

I immediately stopped when I realized this.

As a rule to sound more unique, I also forbid my self to transcribe guitar players.

I now transcribe horn players and adopt it to guitar my way.

Even then, it may come out like cliche phrases.

Now, I take a tune ( a jazz standard or something I composed ), write out 6-7 different variations of phrases for every 2 bars.

I try to play it everywhere on the neck. I also try different tempos.

I try to mix syncopation, triplets, quarter notes, eighth notes.

Then I realize, most of the phrases that sounds unique come from those studies.

All of this add up to a certain sound that will be mine.

The drive pedals, amps and guitars are just seducing me to play more.

But, trying out different gear can take so much time and we might easily fall in to the trap of doing just that!!!!

There will be no time to practice new stuff and get better.

Eventually, we will think that we are bored with our new gear.

In reality, we will be bored with playing the same phrases with a slightly different sound!!!

The reason will be the habit/addiction of just trying sounds and not trying new phrases.

Hi,

I was hoping that you might have responded to my 5 questions so I could suggest what I feel might work best for you. In the absence of that, I will suggest an overdrive pedal that I feel works very well as a clean boost to a low-medium overdrive with both Fender Blackface (scooped mids), Fender Tweed or many Marshall amplifiers (more pronounced mids) not knowing what type of amp you have, the style of music and I will assume you need a pedal that works with both single-coil and humbucking pickups 9e.g. low and high output).

Like many contributors to this post, I have been down the overdrive rabbit hole many times seeking a particular tone. There really is no "best" just some that match up better with your equipment and style of play. This is why there are so many out there. One pedal that I feel works quite well has been around in differing versions for about 15 years and it is based on a circuit originally introduced over 30 years ago.

The pedal is a Red Snapper by a company called Menatone:

http://www.menatone....ed_snapper.html

Brian Mena is the pedal designer. It is a very smooth, "open" sounding, uncompressed overdrive. It is based on the original Boss OD-1 circuit from the late 1970s. Unlike a Tubescreamer, it clips asymmetrically. It has two very useful EQ controls to control the high-frequency and one to control the distortion focus point within the mid-range which makes it more of less aggressive (different than just gain). What I like about this pedal is that your amp still very much sounds like your amp. It melds very well with any amp that I have tried it with. It is not cheap, nor is it crazy expensive ($180). It is available through a number of online dealers now:

http://www.menatone....09/dealers.html

Here is a demo from Youtube:

Aside from the Red Snapper, I have experience with the following other overdrives/boosts if you are interested:

• Analogman King of Tone V4 (overdrive/boost)
  • Barber Electronics B-Custom Cool
  • BJFe Honeybee Overdrive
  • Hermida Zendrive
  • Ibanez TS-808 Handwired
  • Jettergear Gain Stage Red
  • Lizard Leg Flying Dragon (boost)
  • Maxon OD-9 (with Analogman Silver Mod)
  • Maxon OD-820 Overdrive Pro
  • Paul C Audio Tim (overdrive/boost)
  • Skreddy Screw Driver
  • Xotic Effects RC Booster (boost)

As others have said, there is no "best" overdrive pedal. We are fortunate to live in a World where we have many options today. Many pedals are updated takes on the older pedals (Boss OD-1, Ibanez TS-808, MXR Distortion +, Proco Rat, Dallas Rangemaster or Colorsound Overdrive etc.). Some are original, but many are alterations on the classic pedals (in some cases much better IMO). You need to match one to your guitar, amp, style of play and musical genre to really find one that you are happy with.

My closing warning about this rabbit hole is that it is very easy to get sucked in. Each time, it is a relatively small investment. But like the frog in the pot of water heating up slowly; before you know it, you have spent the money equal to another amp (so beware!).

Good Luck,

Bob

I really like pedals, pedals are like spices they don't all go together, and you don't use them all the time. If you are looking for something to use all the time that will define your tone than look for a new amp. I have been buying pedals recently and I like to think of them like books. If you have a great library you will be able to nail just about any tone. When I buy a pedal I buy it for it's tone, ie because I like what it offers. I never go out looking for a perticular tone, ie that clapton tone, because I know I will never find it.

just my two cents.

I should also add i was of the opinion that all pedals were good pedals, in that they all have a good tone somewhere in them. I was wrong, not that they all have at least one good tone, but that they are all good. case in point the dan electro dan-echo... the dan echo has one tone that is just super surf-a-lishous.. However the pedal is built like crap.. plastic jacks and pots, cheep junk. I loved mine, it broke.. I could buy another cheep.. but it would just break too.. buy a quality built pedal and save yourself heartbreak.

I really like pedals, pedals are like spices they don't all go together, and you don't use them all the time. If you are looking for something to use all the time that will define your tone than look for a new amp. I have been buying pedals recently and I like to think of them like books. If you have a great library you will be able to nail just about any tone. When I buy a pedal I buy it for it's tone, ie because I like what it offers. I never go out looking for a perticular tone, ie that clapton tone, because I know I will never find it.

just my two cents.

I should also add i was of the opinion that all pedals were good pedals, in that they all have a good tone somewhere in them. I was wrong, not that they all have at least one good tone, but that they are all good. case in point the dan electro dan-echo... the dan echo has one tone that is just super surf-a-lishous.. However the pedal is built like crap.. plastic jacks and pots, cheep junk. I loved mine, it broke.. I could buy another cheep.. but it would just break too.. buy a quality built pedal and save yourself heartbreak.

I agree, the Danelectro pedals offer some amazing tone (at least some of them) for the price. But they are very poorly made, even the more expensive ones with metal cases have plastic jacks attached to a PCB, and plastic switches. Sound good don't last. Spend a little more and get something that will last. The only think that might fail in a lifetime of use on a high quality pedal will be the switch, and it can be easily replaced, the plastic switches on the Dano stuff cant be replaced.

just my two cents.

I guess I have a library then...(maybe a book sale soon...:-)

overdrivedisease1.jpg?t=1335034566

I guess I have a library then...(maybe a book sale soon...:-)

overdrivedisease1.jpg?t=1335034566

Some great gear there, what are the Screw Driver and Gain Stage like?

The gain stage is very much like the Zendrive, which is a copy of. Instead of Voice pot like the Zendrive, it has a hard/soft switch which does a similar thing. So it is in the Dumble camp of pedals. The Screw Driver, I mostly use as a treble booster with my Tweed, but it can do anything from a light ovrdrive to actual fuzz if you want it.

While I prefer to get my overdrive sound from the amp (and I'm loving my Ceriatone!), it's always useful to have a selection of overdrive pedals, just in case... One which hasn't been mentioned so far is the Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Classic.

ae00-11957.jpg

A couple of years ago the school at which I was teaching held a charity gig at which mostly student bands were featured. However a staff band was put together to perform a few numbers (to show the young 'uns how it's done!) and to make the changeover easier all bands were using the same backline - some fairly basic gear belonging to the school. I was using a nondescript little Marshall solid state combo and my Twin Tube and I was able to get a great sound.

I got some bids in on a couple new pedals. My name is Trouble and I'm a gearaholic.

Anyway, when I decide (yet again) what stays and what goes I'll put up some new pics.

Bought new and have been using it since 1984: Boss SD1.

The SD1 was my fav crunch pedal, till I got my FB Alpha Drive. I'm keepin' the SD1, though, in case I ever build an additional small pedal board again.

"My closing warning about this rabbit hole is that it is very easy to get sucked in. Each time, it is a relatively small investment. But like the frog in the pot of water heating up slowly; before you know it, you have spent the money equal to another amp (so beware!).

Good Luck,

Bob" Well said Bob!

+1 for the OCD. Always had an overdrive on my board to compare the new with old to see which one stayed. The OCD has been there after a few other pedals have since been tried.

I think it totally depends on the guitar/amp combination and even then will vary depending on song and pickup in use. Therefore, every guitarist should follow Brent's lead and have a minimum of 7 OD pedals on their board (which must include a Timmy, TS and OCD).

I think it totally depends on the guitar/amp combination and even then will vary depending on song and pickup in use. Therefore, every guitarist should follow Brent's lead and have a minimum of 7 OD pedals on their board (which must include a Timmy, TS and OCD).

I actually think using the volume and tone controls of the guitar help reduce the need for so many OD pedals...

I actually think using the volume and tone controls of the guitar help reduce the need for so many OD pedals...

Would certainly agree. My post was a bit tongue in cheek (forgot the wink at the end).

I have a Maxon OD9 and an OKKO Diablo that I use the most.

I also have a vintage ProCo RAT pedal but I do not use it that often recently.

Overdrive pedals do nothing alone, they need an amp.

Maxon OD9 sounds great with Fenders and Marshalls but RAT sounds great with Vox.

OKKO Diablo has this Dumble tone that works great with Fender Amps.

Here is a nice example of Gregory Hilden.

Nice tone on that..Not much overdrive either..Hmmm..makes me think a little bit..Maybe I lean on it too much?

I've gone through a couple....

TS9 Tube Screamer - Altered the amp tone too much for my taste.

Fulltone OCD - Sounded fantastic and Very Transparent. It had stupid huge gain amounts on tap, but I couldn't turn the gain down enough for my needs. Brent has it now.

Xotic RC Booster - Completely transparent. Adds clean boost and/or some drive. Perfect for pushing my Rambler just enough to put an edge on.

Barber LTD - Picks up where the RC Boost leaves off. Nice Low Gain pedal that while transparent by nature still offers some tone shaping. Good for Chicago Blues tones.

Barber Direct Drive - I got this from Brent. Kind of like the mean big brother to the LTD. Still transparent but much more tone shaping abilities. I can make the Rambler sound very "Marshall" like, which is a neat trick. Tons of gain on tap if desired. These last three stack very nicely too. I tend to leave the RC boost on all the time and add one or both of the others as needed. With some up front tweaking, I get the equivilent of a multi channel amp via mixing and matching.

7077403539_35c64275e6_c.jpg

Archived