Heritage Owners Club

Heritage 535 'Alvin Lee'

Kap

good luck, all I can say is take your time..brew some tea/coffee & relax

the first time I did it, it took me over 3 hours :icon_study:

now I can do it in about an hour

the worst part, if you pull the whole harness out to change pots, is getting the jack installed again way down at the bottom of the body.

for changing pups I usually pull the pots as far up as I can thru the F holes but you need to be really careful with the soldering iron, don't want any burnt spots on your gtr!

Yes the possibility of scorching did worry me, as well as the complicated wiring needed with the AL model.

One more try and if I can't do it will have to pay someone, try to find a guitar tech. who can.

Guest HRB853370

And a letter by Bill Paige.. former Gibson guy and was an owner at Heritage..

Cool stuff.

Was? Thought he still is!

Guest HRB853370

So what do you plan on doing with the pickups and pots?

Brents recommendation to him was to keep them. I think that is a smart idea.

• 9 months later...

Yeah, thanks!

Btw: I really wonder why Alvin at least returned to Gibson.

And he's even playing a normal ES-335 nowadays, without that single coil.

But I think he's not a real expert in guitars actually, cause I remember him asserting, his "Big Red" was a '58.

But they only started the cherry finish at '59 :-)

Thanks for the compliments, kidsmoke.

Yes, the fifth poti is the single coil volume. It works normal from 0 up to 9. At 10 there's a kind of "afterburner".

The others do the normal jobs, the switch as well.

Maybe I'll change bridge and tail piece to nickel, as the tuners are, someday.

Otherwise it's absolut perfect.

what a guitar!!!

that's a great photo

I'd be tempted to put a peace sign sticker on there, like Alvin had :D

I've become a huge Ten Years After fan...killer bass, and keyboards as well as the phenominal guitar of Alvin

"recorded live" is one of my desert island discs

Hi Kab, hi bolero,

no, it didn't come with that belt, kab. I conclude, you got the same model included by the first owner?

And, bolero, yeah! "Recorded Live" is great!!!! I bought it three times:

the first one got killed on a party i stupidly took it. And when CDs came out, I, of course, had to buy it again.

But it's worth any cent of those deals.

Because of the peace sign sticker: there was the option to get it with that sticker on. It was even under the laquer.

And I was able to order it with an Alvin Lee signature on the pickguard. Written with a silver lauer pen.

But I waived (?) for all of that.

(Btw: excuse my bad english, for I'm german)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

have you heard the bad news?

Alvin Lee passed away yesterday.

I can't keep from cryin'

R.I.P Alvin

You been such a great mover!!!!!

Yes, sad news indeed. R.I.P.

He brought a lot to the party. If you watch "Woodstock" without being somehow impaired, he's the best thing on there. Everybody else (except maybe Ritchie Havens) seemed to have been VERY shall-we-say-um, "woozey."

Thanks to all, yes I'm chuffed to to have been lucky.

Enough room for a third humbucker eh?.....now there's a cunning plan!

Sorry, it really rubs me wrong when I see "mods" destroy the essence of what a guitar is all about. So I know logic won't help, how about voodoo? I know someone who can make body parts fall off if you do that!

If not that, for sure If you hog out that single coil pup pup future owners will curse you!

There, I feel better now get the router and make a space for an integral tuner, or you "could" find an Epiphone to destroy... nobody will miss it. :-)

Guest HRB853370

Sorry, it really rubs me wrong when I see "mods" destroy the essence of what a guitar is all about. So I know logic won't help, how about voodoo? I know someone who can make body parts fall off if you do that!

If not that, for sure If you hog out that single coil pup pup future owners will curse you!

There, I feel better now get the router and make a space for an integral tuner, or you "could" find an Epiphone to destroy... nobody will miss it. :-)

Hey, our Moderators would never stoop to such a thing!!!

Not that it really matters, but I was just using humour.........(the quote is from the TV show Blackadder).

The Alvin Lee remains "in essence" the same ...no need for voodoo or anything else.

This makes me feel better:

Archived