Heritage Owners Club

Alex Skolnick on the Ampkit's Budda Superdrive 30 model: indirect Heritage content.

Not until they make an adapter that is noise-free and durable... That's the biggest problem with them. They get noisy and break easily..

AmpKit Link.

Peavey makes it. It is an active input and kills the crosstalk issues that the iRig had. That is it's greatest selling point right now.

Alex is using one in this video (the white thing plugged into his iPad) and is also using it at a live event where he and his bassist was using the iPad live for his Trio. It is clipped to their music stands.

I had been turned off to these for that very reason until the AmpKit link came out.

AmpKit Link.

Peavey makes it. It is an active input and kills the crosstalk issues that the iRig had. That is it's greatest selling point right now.

Alex is using one in this video (the white thing plugged into his iPad) and is also using it at a live event where he and his bassist was using the iPad live for his Trio. It is clipped to their music stands.

I had been turned off to these for that very reason until the AmpKit link came out.

I had it and returned it... Still very flimsy...

it may be....but if it is good enough for AS, then it is more than good enough for me as I am sure his gear gets knocked around more than mine. ;)

Alesis is also about to release their Amp Dock for the iPad. All that just tells me there is a real trend towards the iPad. The tone is obviously in there, now ways to get it more accessible to your average live guitarist is underway. I have reading for some time now aboutactive session artists using them. Guess there is a reason for it.

it may be....but if it is good enough for AS, then it is more than good enough for me as I am sure his gear gets knocked around more than mine. ;)

Alesis is also about to release their Amp Dock for the iPad. All that just tells me there is a real trend towards the iPad. The tone is obviously in there, now ways to get it more accessible to your average live guitarist is underway. I have reading for some time now aboutactive session artists using them. Guess there is a reason for it.

Apogee and Line6 have also gotten into this too with the Jam and Mobile-In respectively. The only bummer is that if you get an IO device you dig and isnt the Line 6 device, you won't be able to use the Mobile POD software with it.

I seriously doubt he uses a tiny plastic part on a live show.

Seen it. There is video. You can see it clipped to his mic stand below the iPad. Bassist is doing the same.

;)

Thing is, he isn't the only one. This may be a one off for AS, but there are people that use the iPad regularly with devices such as the Ampkit Link and iRig.

I wasn't particularly fond of the iRig. That was indeed too noisy.

The Line6 one... I am just not wild about. It can be used with other programs but the Line6 app will not use other IO devices. ...and I have not read great things about that IO device.

Apogee Jam is supposed to be pretty good. It better be for that price and for their reputation.

Anyways, this is just one of those things where it is fine if someone doesn't want to use such a thing live. I get it. It is definitely different. I remember when the POD came out and it was laughable to your average guitarist to use those live. By all means don't use anything you don't feel comfortable with. I am not at all trying to say that your lack of confidence is unfounded. I am just saying I don't have the same lack of confidence. Some apprehension? Sure. It is new. The tone is there. People who are dependent on their gear using it is there. I am good. The only thing I would be concerned about is that I really, really like simplicity. I do like that my amp is a one trick pony. I know a bit of mod'ing will get it that extra bit of flexibility and articulation I like. I am FAR more likely to go that route than honestly getting the iPAD thing going.

Some cap and coupler upgrades, trying out some different tubes and getting some honest to goodness Eminence Patriots in there.

Hey guys - I work for Agile Partners, and I hope I'm not intruding. I don't intend to spam, but there is some great commentary, and some open questions I would like the opportunity to help with. I also happen to be the one that shot all the vids posted thus far.

Another point to add is was there any noise reduction, compression, or other behind the scenes editing on his demos?

Not one bit - Alex was kind enough to record those directly on the iPad. Afterward, I exported the session file (uncompressed WAV) and laid that over the video without any mastering. I was especially thankful we did it that way, because the in-room mic recording we used was destroyed by a ceiling fan :)

Seen it. There is video. You can see it clipped to his mic stand below the iPad. Bassist is doing the same.

That vid was part of a show at WWDC (The Apple developer conference). AST came to play for us (with guest drummer Scott Amendola). It could have sounded better, but management at the location was threatening to throw us all out if it got too loud.

Not until they make an adapter that is noise-free and durable... That's the biggest problem with them. They get noisy and break easily..

To be completely noise-free on the iOS device, you need to use the 30-pin connector, like the Alesis or the Apogee devices - or the LiNK HD, coming very soon.

This is Alex playing through the LiNK HD prototype in January - his audio is an un-touched board recording, with a little of the room mic mixed under it.

Alex does not use AmpKit live in concerts, but that's our challenge. I hope to walk in one day with the "next thing" that pushes os over the edge for that. He has been super-cool, and likes what we do (and obviously we love what he does). Every time we have something new, he's one of the first people we talk to - it's been a pleasure to work with him.

Thanks for chiming in Bradley. I saw the show had some sort of name but had no idea what it was. Thank you for clearing that up.

OS issues do you speak of that you feel need to be pushed over the edge? I ask as I don't own own an iPad and, honestly, a good amp sim into something like the Tech21 would probably be a driving reason behind me getting one.

Thanks for chiming in. I'm looking forward to a gig worthy connector as either a backup or a primary device for places I can avoid the use of an amp.

That's what we want to see too.

OS issues do you speak of that you feel need to be pushed over the edge? I ask as I don't own own an iPad and, honestly, a good amp sim into something like the Tech21 would probably be a driving reason behind me getting one.

The OS for any of the iPad series is plenty powerful enough. The hurdle up to this point has been using the iPhone/iPod/iPad audio jack for signal in/out. It's noisy, and there is a window for frequency response (we designed the original LiNK to overcome that). LiNK HD will have zero noise, and no frequency window - so we're hoping this will bring play as close to the real thing as any have ever been.

• 2 weeks later...

The OS for any of the iPad series is plenty powerful enough. The hurdle up to this point has been using the iPhone/iPod/iPad audio jack for signal in/out. It's noisy, and there is a window for frequency response (we designed the original LiNK to overcome that). LiNK HD will have zero noise, and no frequency window - so we're hoping this will bring play as close to the real thing as any have ever been.

Awesome! I'll be looking forward to it since I bought all the amps/pedals when I had the original LiNK before.

Awesome! I\'ll be looking forward to it since I bought all the amps/pedals when I had the original LiNK before.

I\'ve been waiting on this. To get the HD LiNK, I will lose the functionality of the Alesis Amp Dock (save money too). The Alesis may not sound as good as this LiNK. Just have to wait and see and weigh the pros and cons.

Awesome! I\'ll be looking forward to it since I bought all the amps/pedals when I had the original LiNK before.

Using the AmpKit? I\'m getting that and JamUp. Not sure if the LiNK HD will work with JamUp but I hope it does so I\'d have make a choice with software too.

Archived