Heritage Owners Club

New Humbuckers : Wolfe video

FredZepp

Published on Apr 25, 2012 by wolfegtrs

So, this Pal of ours in Kalamazoo has been researching Humbuckers for years, gathering intel through discussions with an old fellow that worked along side Seth Lover in the 50's. Our K-Zoo Pal Bill H. sent these prototypes to Heritage (in the hood) to install them in this beautiful H150CM Cherryburst for us to evaluate. We are "well" impressed and hope to offer them in some of our Heritage's soon. Details include AlNiCo 5 magnets, original PAF spec wire & back plate & basically a modern clone of the original Humbuckers we all love. Here we have Mr. Royal (Purple) Hayes taking the H150CM w/ the experimental HB's through it's paces. Thanks Bill, Royal & Heritage. It's cool to have, a guitar AND pickups made in Kalamazoo again, after many decades of wandering the tone desert.

Wolfe Guitars has 2 locations:

* Jupiter, Florida @ 561-746-2209, and

* Brentwood/ Nashville- Tenn. @ 615-730-7532

(Amps- for clean- Mike Marsh black face Princeton Reverb replica amp with Weber 12"........and for overdrive - Analog Outfitters ORGANic 15 watt head with ValveTrain 2 x 10" cab.......and a Fuchs Plush Cream overdrive pedal near the end of the vid. ORGANic 15 played without pedal at 1'st))

Thanks Fred for posting, but honestly, with just the video camera's mic recording the audio (for me) I find Wolfe's sound clips almost worthless.

There is just too much compression and distortion for me to hear what anything sounds like. They need to make clips like Gregor Hilden does using a real mic'd amp. It is a shame because Wolfe's really are trying and produce a large number of sound clips.

As Kuz says, it's difficult to get a real feel for how they sound given they way they've miced the noise....

...but the neck pickup certainly reminds me more than a little of the HRW neck pickup on a 170 I owned until recently.

Have to agree, the guitar sounds much like other demos of 150s. The sound starts to clip and is then compressed by the camera mic, especially noticeable on accented or louder notes. It makes all the 150 demos sound similar, regardless of the amp or pickups used. Great playing and a great demo.

Kid doing the demo has great hands! I get where John's coming from, but that is a fine sounding 150, relative to other similarly recorded demos. Whether that's largely amp, p'ups, lumber, or hands (clearly some combination, of course) is certainly open to debate....

I was going to say pretty much what John said; beat me to it. To do a real comparison, especially with the method used, we would need to see the same set up, same day, same kid playing the new Heritage pickups AND the HRWs. Then, at least, even with the current medium we'd be getting a closer comparison. And yeah, the kid can play!

Guys that is my son playing and thank you for the compliments. If you have any specific question he would be glad to answer them to the best of his ability. He is a true tone seeker so shoot.

Welcome to the HOC , Super..

Nice vid, of course.

that guy is a great guitar player!!

I totally agree, the sound sucks on all those clips, why even bother when the camera mic overloads so easily

just get a mic and record it properly, it's not that hard to stick an sm57 or rode NT4 in front etc...NT4 would have to be out further but might give better results....then just slap it over the video

+1 on greg hilden...although you're gonna need a proper teddy bear mic stand :D

Archived