Heritage Owners Club

Which Bigsby should I get for this guitar?

MartyGrass

17" archtop that's 2 1/4" deep. I need it in gold and don't want to drill the top. I also would like to have the handle come forward enough to be between the pickups for a short reach.

It looks like a B6 would do it. But I want to be sure before I buy it.

Thanks.

Here it is.

BzkYdRQEWkKGrHqFh8Ew5OtIwq9BMWndiy4Tg_12.jpg

So you'd think that since I live in Kalamazoo I could simply drive to the Bigsby factory and get my answer. But I really don't know where it is.

I asked Ren Wall and he seemed too tentative with his answer on the phone.

I could get up off my lazy butt and bring it to Heritage, but I thought I'd start here.

I think they are still made in the Kalamazoo area. I heard two stories. One the plant is in an industrial park out in Parchment and the other that it on on E. Kilgore St. in Kalamazoo. I could confirm neither.

http://www.bigsby.co...resources/faqs/

It is most likely a "job shop" or private contractor that does old style sand die casting.

That sure is a beautiful guitar.

Guest HRB853370

Here it is.

BzkYdRQEWkKGrHqFh8Ew5OtIwq9BMWndiy4Tg_12.jpg

So you'd think that since I live in Kalamazoo I could simply drive to the Bigsby factory and get my answer. But I really don't know where it is.

I asked Ren Wall and he seemed too tentative with his answer on the phone.

I could get up off my lazy butt and bring it to Heritage, but I thought I'd start here.

Fred Gretsch owns the name, so I am thinking they are made offshore now. Just a guess.

That guitar is beautiful Mark. I am just cringing at the thought of a Bigsby on it though.

I understand that reaction. On the other hand, a hollowbody with a Bigsby on it really does sound good with just a little vibrato. And the Bigsby can be removed easily.

Guest HRB853370

I understand that reaction. On the other hand, a hollowbody with a Bigsby on it really does sound good with just a little vibrato. And the Bigsby can be removed easily.

No drilling?

No drilling?

Probably but on the rim only. The original TP comes off, the holes are filled and dried, new holes placed and the Bigsby put on. The filled holes don't show.

If you want the Bigsby off, you reverse the process.

Great idea Mark. That will be an awsome guitar. I talked with Ren about this last year as I had some questions regarding construction. I was reassured there is no issues and as you said if you do it right, you can go back and forth. I did do the research on putting it on my super eagle with two mounted humbuckers. It turned out that one of the holes in the Bigsby had to be elongated a little if I wanted to go back and forth between the Heritage tailpiece and the bigsby. If I elongated the hole, I wouldn't have to add any new holes. I ended up trading the super eagle and never finished the job. But now, I have an eagle classic in the mix and I, like you, think a bigsby on the thing would be great.

They are made in Kalamazoo (the better ones). I spoke with them via their website and were glad to hear a Kalamazoo guitar was going to get a Kalamazoo Bigsby. Scotty Moore had em on his super 400s. That thinlne is a great candiate for it. Keep us posted.

I think keiths gtr looks killer with a bigsby

you could measure the hole spacing & compare...do they make vibramates for that style? I guess it would just be a plate installed at the heel

B6 would be my choice....I always get B6 & B3 mixed up....B3 is similar but uses a shorter body for a LP sized bout

Archived