Heritage Owners Club

Another shipping horror story- NGD

MartyGrass

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mark, I will pray for you and your family today and often.

News like that makes a damaged guitar and a loss job really meaningless.

Those marks on the neck, I've seen on other guitars. I call it "case rash", but I've never actually had it happen to a guitar I own. Can't believe they shipped it in just the case, though I think the binding chip and the finish issues aside from the neck were pre-existing. I don't see how a case could have caused the binding to chip.

The pickup ring probably broke on it's own due to high or low temperature. It seems that Heritage often just takes the stock rings and puts them on without sanding them to match the top contour. That means it's only a matter of time before they crack. I've got new rings for my H150CM to replace the cracked neck pickup ring. I'm just too lazy to get out the sandpaper and do it right now.

Those marks on the neck, I've seen on other guitars. I call it "case rash", but I've never actually had it happen to a guitar I own. Can't believe they shipped it in just the case, though I think the binding chip and the finish issues aside from the neck were pre-existing. I don't see how a case could have caused the binding to chip.

The pickup ring probably broke on it's own due to high or low temperature. It seems that Heritage often just takes the stock rings and puts them on without sanding them to match the top contour. That means it's only a matter of time before they crack. I've got new rings for my H150CM to replace the cracked neck pickup ring. I'm just too lazy to get out the sandpaper and do it right now.

Yea, I know it's kind of a Heritage right of passage to have a pup ring break. I have had two that have broken.

Yoder's cracked and I ordered a curved set and replaced it.

Greeny's bridge is cracked and I am too lazy. PLUS that guitar sounds so good that I am afraid to touch anything on it. So on Greeny it is going to stay on the guitar and I am going to mentally label it as mojo. The guitar's top has so much mojo ozzing out of it that the pup ring broke!!!!

Really sorry to hear about your bad news. Prayers are with you that things will improve for your son-in-law.

My son-in-law is a big Lance Armstrong fan and gathers inspiration from him. He undergoes pre-op CTs today and surgery Monday morning.

His parents are in the UK getting their passports together. His mum will probably help out with him until he's back on his feet and my daughter can manage the twins herself. That will be a while.

We remain upbeat.

Yea, I know it's kind of a Heritage right of passage to have a pup ring break. I have had two that have broken.

Yoder's cracked and I ordered a curved set and replaced it.

Greeny's bridge is cracked and I am too lazy. PLUS that guitar sounds so good that I am afraid to touch anything on it. So on Greeny it is going to stay on the guitar and I am going to mentally label it as mojo. The guitar's top has so much mojo ozzing out of it that the pup ring broke!!!!

Looking back at the pictures that Marty posted before, I think I can see a crack on the ring. Also the pickup was barely at the level of the ring, so it's no surprise it fell in.

I would wager that maybe in 2 years, I'll have finally gotten motivated to sand the rings and get them on the guitar.

Maybe.

Anyway, that's all chump change in light of the other news. Best of luck to your Son-In-Law. Hopefully they caught it early. I have a friend who has been living a medical nightmare for the past 7 years involving cardiomyopathy, transplants, burkitt's lymphoma., and it just sucks.

Guest HRB853370

My son-in-law is a big Lance Armstrong fan and gathers inspiration from him. He undergoes pre-op CTs today and surgery Monday morning.

His parents are in the UK getting their passports together. His mum will probably help out with him until he's back on his feet and my daughter can manage the twins herself. That will be a while.

We remain upbeat.

There is a great book titled "its not about the bike" written by Lance. Your SIL may have already read it, but it was very inspiring for me to read. Its about the whole cancer ordeal that Lance endured.

Looking back at the pictures that Marty posted before, I think I can see a crack on the ring. Also the pickup was barely at the level of the ring, so it's no surprise it fell in.

The pickup issues are simple.

I just talked with a PayPal rep. The case looks very straightforward to him. I may have to get an estimate for repair to submit to them, which the seller would have to cover. That's fair.

And Mr. TboneSullivan, I don't want to languish in regret as you realize that none of this would have happened if you had sold me the Millie back. :icon_sunny:

Best of luck with the guitar issue, Mark, it's a shame it had to happen to such a significant and beautiful instrument.

My best wishes to your son-in-law and his family, hopefully things will end well there.

crap, when I saw the title of the thread I news exactly what it was...at least the headstock/neck isn't broken though

what a shame, that is an especially cool guitar as it is the first production millie!!

what kind of moron ships a guitar like that

thoughts & prayers for your daughter & son in law, hopefully they caught it early

Thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.

Although less significant, I repaired chipped binding on an old les paul I sold with epoxy from home depot and it turned out pretty good. Granted, the guitar had a relic'd look already but I was suprised how well it bonded/blended and straight white would probably be easier (multi color would be harder) but I am sure the luthier's out your way can do a great job if anyone can.

Wishing you the best.

Speechless. I am truly speechless that an individual would treat such a magnificent historical guitar with such disregard. I saw this guitar on ebay was was deeply tempted. I hope you can achieve a satisfactory arrangement with the former owner and restore it to its proper glory because clearly he/she does not deserve this fine guitar.

My best to your family.

This whole matter gives me a mission. I took the Millie to Aaron Cowles for a repair quote to pass on to PayPal. I got to chew the fat with two great luthiers and see some of their great work. By coincidence, both of them saw this Millie at its completion at Heritage. I guess the guys there showed it off. That was 12 years ago.

Today I went to Heritage to get another quote. So I got to chat with Ren and Billy. Tomorrow Jack will do the quote.

I told Ren that in his years he must have seen many guitars shipped just in their case. He said not really, just a few.

I got to see some of the Heritages nearing completion. I wish they gave out samples.

In the big scheme of things, there's no point getting worked up over an eBay dispute. In a year it won't matter either way. And it gives me one more story to bore everyone with.

This whole matter gives me a mission. I took the Millie to Aaron Cowles for a repair quote to pass on to PayPal. I got to chew the fat with two great luthiers and see some of their great work. By coincidence, both of them saw this Millie at its completion at Heritage. I guess the guys there showed it off. That was 12 years ago.

Today I went to Heritage to get another quote. So I got to chat with Ren and Billy. Tomorrow Jack will do the quote.

I told Ren that in his years he must have seen many guitars shipped just in their case. He said not really, just a few.

I got to see some of the Heritages nearing completion. I wish they gave out samples.

In the big scheme of things, there's no point getting worked up over an eBay dispute. In a year it won't matter either way. And it gives me one more story to bore everyone with.

Yes, and yet one more reason to venture to Mecca. You are so lucky to live so close to the factory. If I lived nearby my butt would be in the poor house...surrounded by a bunch of cool Heritage gitfiddles.

Your outlook on this is admirable. Best of luck getting redress. You and that Millie deserve the best.

+1.... Maybe even 2! Best wishes, Mark!

Best to your daughter and son in law. My wife is a 2 time cancer survivor and it makes the days a little sweeter. Being young and strong is an advantage. Support from family and friends is key and it sounds like they have the family part wired. I hope he does great.

Updates:

My son-in-law had surgery yesterday. It looks like the cancer (seminoma) was completely removed. With any luck he'll need no more treatment and will be fine. The twins now have heartbeats and look good.

I got my paperwork from Heritage for the damage assessment and quote from Heritage. Jack did this. He's been doing this sort of thing for 50 years he tells me.

It's all up to PayPal now.

Guest HRB853370

Updates:

My son-in-law had surgery yesterday. It looks like the cancer (seminoma) was completely removed. With any luck he'll need no more treatment and will be fine. The twins now have heartbeats and look good.

I got my paperwork from Heritage for the damage assessment and quote from Heritage. Jack did this. He's been doing this sort of thing for 50 years he tells me.

It's all up to PayPal now.

Thats awesome, prayers were answered. And at the end of the day, this Ebay snafu will all get worked out and you will have a nice guitar with cool some stories to go along with it!

Archived