Heritage Owners Club

Heritage 525 VS G****n 1964 ES-125T: No WRONG Answer...

schundog

..and it's really not fair to make the comparison until the 125 gets some attention from my tech, but here are some of my thoughts.

I played them both through my BillM moddd Fender Blues Junior tonight. First of all, I don't deserve either of these fine instruments. I am truly out of my league. They both exhibited great controllable feedback, and had great Bluesy tone on the neck pickup (only choice on the 125, obviously.) The 125 neck seems somewhat narrow and thin to me. Not uncomfortably so, but not my preferred choice. It has D'Darrio 11s on it, while the 525 is strung up with 10s. Even so, the 525 sounded fuller, ballsier. I'm not sure if that's the Lollars in the 525, the wood bridge or the simple age of the pickup in the 125 or what. The 125 has a wood bridge, while the 525 has a roller bridge. Both have simple trapeze tailpieces. I wouldn't kick either of them out of bed for eating crackers.

I think I was most surprised by how similar they are in body thickness. I assumed the 525 was considerably thicker; not so, as the picures bear out. Sorry, no crappy clips tonight; I'll spare you all, haha. Pics, though.

http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz327/schundog/summer2012119.jpg[/img]"]https://summer2012119.jpg

Lower bout size comparison.

summer2012121.jpg

summer2012120.jpg

summer2012123.jpg

nice pair of guitars!!!

I find some of the '60's Gibson necks annoyingly thin as well...width, that is. although I've never played a mandolin

I'd be interested in hearing clips of those :D

a 525 is on my bucket list....someday

Guest HRB853370

Thats two classy looking guitars you have there! Well, consider that in the 60's, most guitar necks were on the thinner side anyhow. I was playing my 525 today and it has a very beefy neck; quite possibly the beefiest of any of my Heritages or other axes. I love that gitfiddle. Yes Bolero, you need to acquire one. They ain't cheap but they are worth it!

That's the problem with your capitalist society, the availibility of choices has made you soft. The only way you will ever become a guitar master is through pain and discipline. Here is what you must do and do quickly. Get rid of all these fancy guitars, you may send them to me! Go to monster pawn and get a hondo strat copy, proceed directly to the nearest crossroad and wait there for further directions.

That's the problem with your capitalist society, the availibility of choices has made you soft. The only way you will ever become a guitar master is through pain and discipline. Here is what you must do and do quickly. Get rid of all these fancy guitars, you may send them to me! Go to monster pawn and get a hondo strat copy, proceed directly to the nearest crossroad and wait there for further directions.

True Dat, Lance. The Hondo would be more befitting my ability, unfortunately! (You're still not getting my Heritages...)

An ES125 is on my list. I have looked at plenty of them in the shops up in Lawrence. Just can't pull the trigger. I'm a bit jealous that you have one. ;). AND an H525 at the same time. Personally, I would not expect those two guitars to be similar at all, other than the P90 pickups.

Guest HRB853370

Crossroads? And sell your soul to the devil too?

Guest HRB853370

They did make them in the 50's, both in single and double pickup versions. The closest to a 525 is an ES-125TDC. It's a thinline (closer to a 535) but double cut-away and double pickups.

Exactly sykofiddle! I spoke to Jay Wolfe about this and that is what he had in mind when he and Marv envisioned the 525.

What a sweet pair from K-zoo !

Both should be a joy to play through that amp.

Personally , I'd take off the 11's... but that's just the way I am.

Either way.. those are some great guitars on have on the stand to grab and play.

Archived