Heritage Owners Club

Tube tests, long and ongoing

big bob

This is the start of my tube combo shoot out

Amp = champ circuit with larger transformers.

Cab= weber 2x12 with two 100 watt weber axis ( fane copy)

1st test

Recto = 5u4

Power = Mesa el34

Pre= 12ax7 china

The amp runs noisy with this set up... Background hum even with no guitar attached.

Really early tube breakup, think 2/3

Fizzy/fuzzy sound works nice with the Dano distortion pedal.

Hard to get a clean tone... No headroom really at all.

Not as much volume as I would have expected.

Test 2

Recto = sylvenia 5y3gt made in USA

Power= Mesa el34

Pre= 12ax7 ma in china

This is the start of my tube combo shoot out

Amp = champ circuit with larger transformers.

Cab= weber 2x12 with two 100 watt weber axis ( fane copy)

1st test

Recto = 5u4

Power = Mesa el34

Pre= 12ax7 china

The amp runs noisy with this set up... Background hum even with no guitar attached.

Really early tube breakup, think 2/3

Fizzy/fuzzy sound works nice with the Dano distortion pedal.

Hard to get a clean tone... No headroom really at all.

Not as much volume as I would have expected.

Test 2

Recto = sylvenia 5y3gt made in USA

Power= Mesa el34

Pre= 12ax7 ma in china

Has some operation noise/hum at the loud end of the acceptable range for me

Breakup comes at about 4/5 grainy sound, get too grainy/fizzy maxed

Nice sound quality, more top end, great mids, more bass

More headroom than test 1, takes pedals well but gets fuzzy with dirt pedals fast!

Test 3

Recto = new version sovetck 5 y3 gt made in Russia

Power = el34 Mesa

Pre = 12ax7 made in china

Has some operation noise/hum at the loud end of the acceptable range for me

Breakup comes at about 4/5 grainy sound, get too grainy/fizzy maxed

Nice sound quality, more top end, great mids, more bass

More headroom than test 1, takes pedals well but gets fuzzy with dirt pedals fast!

Test 3

Recto = new version sovetck 5 y3 gt made in Russia

Power = el34 Mesa

Pre = 12ax7 made in china

Pretty much the same as test 2 however this has more operational noise/ hum

And more overall volume with just a little earlier breakup

Just a little fizzer.. Not as smooth when the amp is set clean.

Next test will be

Recto= 5u4 magnavox made in USA

Power = JJ 6l6 gc

Pre= 12ax7= made in china

Pretty much the same as test 2 however this has more operational noise/ hum

And more overall volume with just a little earlier breakup

Just a little fizzer.. Not as smooth when the amp is set clean.

Next test will be

Recto= 5u4 magnavox made in USA

Power = JJ 6l6 gc

Pre= 12ax7= made in china

Loud operational noise/hum and it fizzy like a bug zapper

Breaks up about 4/5

Has a lot of top end chime, and a big bass

Mids are there but not outstanding

Pedals make the operational noise too loud.

This mix has the most volume so far but not useable volume

More headroom than the el34

Next up

Recto = 5y3gt sylvenia made in USA

Power= JJ 6l6

Pre= 12ax7 china

Loud operational noise/hum and it fizzy like a bug zapper

Breaks up about 4/5

Has a lot of top end chime, and a big bass

Mids are there but not outstanding

Pedals make the operational noise too loud.

This mix has the most volume so far but not useable volume

More headroom than the el34

Next up

Recto = 5y3gt sylvenia made in USA

Power= JJ 6l6

Pre= 12ax7 china

Very little operational noise. What is present is a nice whooshing sound... Bug zapper is gone

Breakup comes at about 7/8 and is crunchy

Lots and lots of headroom, very chimie lots of top end

Thin mids clean but come back nice and rich with pedals.

This combo is great with pedals it can still be clean and clear with just reverb, but gets nice and crunchy with od and distortion

This is the loudest combo so far, usable all the way through the spectrum. I would guess about 12 watts but sounds as loud as my 40 watt Marshall that runs el84s

I like this combo..

Next

Recto= sovtek 5y3gt

Power= JJ 6v6

Pre = 12ax7 china

Very little operational noise. What is present is a nice whooshing sound... Bug zapper is gone

Breakup comes at about 7/8 and is crunchy

Lots and lots of headroom, very chimie lots of top end

Thin mids clean but come back nice and rich with pedals.

This combo is great with pedals it can still be clean and clear with just reverb, but gets nice and crunchy with od and distortion

This is the loudest combo so far, usable all the way through the spectrum. I would guess about 12 watts but sounds as loud as my 40 watt Marshall that runs el84s

I like this combo..

Next

Recto= sovtek 5y3gt

Power= JJ 6v6

Pre = 12ax7 china

Not really much difference.. Maybe just a little more volume

Just a tad bit of fizz in the breakup

Very little operational noise/hum but fizzy not whoosh

Next up

Recto= 5u4 magnavox

Power = 6v6 tung - sol made in USA

Pre = 12ax7 china

Not really much difference.. Maybe just a little more volume

Just a tad bit of fizz in the breakup

Very little operational noise/hum but fizzy not whoosh

Next up

Recto= 5u4 magnavox

Power = 6v6 tung - sol made in USA

Pre = 12ax7 china

Revision ... Power tube is a 6v6gt

Some operational noise/hum not obnoxious clean but gets annoying with dirt pedals

Breaks up at about 3/4 and is crunchy nice mids and bass.

Breakup at max is way to fuzzy/ fizzy blurry

Has a lot of mids, some headroom, looses chime at about 6/7

More volume than I would have guessed but not all usable.

Next up

Recto = 5y3gt sylvaina

Power = tung-sol 6v6gt

Pre = 12ax7

Lance, I cringe a little bit when I see that Chinese 12ax7 in V1. It's more Cork-sniffer-Fender-y proper

(pffffffft!!!)

to use an American tube in V1, particularly the period correct RCA 12ax7a or 7025 shortplate. Many tubes exist that should sound even better in that circuit than that Shuguang. I do like the scientific approach of changing only one variable at a time. Another Kudo for that one. You will want to get a socket saver for v1 when you start rolling pre's...

You are going to become a tube tone maven because of this amp you have built within the next 90 days, mark my words, everyone. ;) Nice to see someone lose their store bought tone, I suspect in this case it's been gone for years.

You might really go off the deep end if you have a chance to listen to some old round plate coke bottle 6f6 or 6v6's, the OD as well as the cleans are beyond exquisite. And the pulsing with pick attack soft blue glow from a coke bottle 807 or 6bg6ga looks so cool and sounds so good. Then there's the Ken-Rad 6l6g that is such a crunch monster with it's big bottom end...or one of my all time faves in a Champ circuit, a real Tung Sol 5881 with it's singing, complex mids. The real Tung Sol 6v6gt is one of my absolute fave 6v6''s in a Champ circuit.

Revision ... Power tube is a 6v6gt

Some operational noise/hum not obnoxious clean but gets annoying with dirt pedals

Breaks up at about 3/4 and is crunchy nice mids and bass.

Breakup at max is way to fuzzy/ fizzy blurry

Has a lot of mids, some headroom, looses chime at about 6/7

More volume than I would have guessed but not all usable.

Next up

Recto = 5y3gt sylvaina

Power = tung-sol 6v6gt

Pre = 12ax7

Little operational noise/ hum. More pronounced with dirt pedals but not bad.

Breakup clean at about 5/6 and is crunchy, warm mids, good bass

Breakup at max is fizzy

Takes pedals well not as chimie as the 6l6 with more mids

Overall volume can get loud. Not all volume is usable... Would not use past 8/9 just too broken up.

Next up

Recto = sylvaina 5y3gt

Power = JJ 6v6s

Pre = 12ax7 china

Wow... The JJ 6v6s is almost perfectly quiet...

Break up is just a little bit later at 5 and is rich and crunchy..

Not as much chime as the 6l6 but does clean nice

Takes pedals well but gets a little bassie with dirt pedals

Sounds great at about 3/4 with the volume on the guitar cranked

This is a nice combo ..

Next up

Recto = sylvaina 5y3gt

Power 6v6gta general electric USA

Pre 12ax7 china

Little operational noise/ hum. More pronounced with dirt pedals but not bad.

Breakup clean at about 5/6 and is crunchy, warm mids, good bass

Breakup at max is fizzy

Takes pedals well not as chimie as the 6l6 with more mids

Overall volume can get loud. Not all volume is usable... Would not use past 8/9 just too broken up.

Next up

Recto = sylvaina 5y3gt

Power = JJ 6v6s

Pre = 12ax7 china

Wow... The JJ 6v6s is almost perfectly quiet...

Break up is just a little bit later at 5 and is rich and crunchy..

Not as much chime as the 6l6 but does clean nice

Takes pedals well but gets a little bassie with dirt pedals

Sounds great at about 3/4 with the volume on the guitar cranked

This is a nice combo ..

Next up

Recto = sylvaina 5y3gt

Power 6v6gta general electric USA

Pre 12ax7 china

This is my favorite 6v6

Silent operation

Breaks up about 6, nice crunchy deep, has some chime and a wicked rich bottom end

Works well with pedals, gets a little dark with the dirt pedals.

Not as loud as the JJ but more useable volume

This is a nice set up

For all the tests I have been using the 555 with Seth's and the 575 with pails for the clean tone

And the firebird with Tom short pups for the pedals. Pedals include a Demeter reverbulator, a Demeter fatoverdrivulator, and a danelectro fab tone (old big metal body version)

Having run through quite a few tubes these are my ending thoughts

Don't much care for the 5u4 recto, it's loud and fizzy and breaks up super early. It might just be this tube?

It might be this circuit?

I also think the sovtek 5y3 is kinda noisy.

The sylvaina 5y3 has a nice quiet operation, and a real smooth richness. It's funny because the sylvaina and the sovtek are supposed to be the same tube 5y3 gt, but they look totally different with the sovtek being much larger.

In the power section I like the chime and top end of the 6l6 the best, it also has more overall volume and mo usable volume.

I also think it offers the most clean headroom. The ge 6v6 has a nice rich sound but not as much headroom, with more mids and less top end. The el34 is far gainer than the others and I'll want to experiment with some different brands. I like it but not as much.

Until next time

Cheers

someone correct me if I'm wrong but I've read several times that the rectifier tube has no affect on tone..

Let me elaborate, when I say tone I'm referring to the sound that comes out of the speaker. All of it. When I changed between the 5u4 and the 5y3 there were lots of differences. One had far earlier breakup and far les output, caused more noise, and robed the sound of articulation. Did it change the mix of bottom mid and top, no. But it certainly changed the sound. The 6l6 was still a 6l6, lots of chime and bright punch. But it had far less usable volume before it turned to mush.

I'm rambling, the recto tubes make a big difference in the overall sound, weather you call it tone or not is up to you.

For some tone is just the tonal characteristics of the tube, and does not include things like attack, deterioration, articulation, breakup, sustain... I include all those things in the word tone.

@Hfan...

I read the same thing but man are they wrong, wrong, wrong! When you change to a different rec tube, even a different brand of the same type, that usually causes changes in voltages going to the other tubes from what rec tube was in that socket beforehand. . That causes changes in tone. I did the same things Lance is doing now 6 years ago with a similar amp circuit.. His experiences with rec tubes exactly mirror mine. It's great to see.

ha, Bob that is awesome...build the thing yourself & test it out with all those tube combinations!!

rectifier affects the power supply so yes I'd say it has a big impact on how an amp sounds...some people even put in a switch so you can flip between SS & tube rectumfriers...spongey rectum or hard rectum!!

@Hfan...

I read the same thing but man are they wrong, wrong, wrong! When you change to a different rec tube, even a different brand of the same type, that usually causes changes in voltages going to the other tubes from what rec tube was in that socket beforehand. . That causes changes in tone. I did the same things Lance is doing now 6 years ago with a similar amp circuit.. His experiences with rec tubes exactly mirror mine. It's great to see.

Oky dokey then, I stand corrected, one more thing we can all obsess about :icon_joker:. Guess it is part of the fun of tube amps. I had a foggy idea that they provide heater filament voltage and change ac to dc or was it dc to ac? I was thinking of getting a spare for my deluxe anyway.

ha, Bob that is awesome...build the thing yourself & test it out with all those tube combinations!!

rectifier affects the power supply so yes I'd say it has a big impact on how an amp sounds...some people even put in a switch so you can flip between SS & tube rectumfriers...spongey rectum or hard rectum!!

I dont know, my mesa has a switch for tube and ss rec. Truthfully I dont hear anything in it, but I do feel the difference, I think I do.

A friend who builds amps has a JTM45 type clone or something similar, it also has a switch for the type of rec amongst others. I dont hear the rec tube or ss as a major tone shaping tool on that amp either. Maybe its smoother and a bit more compressed and doesnt have the same attack with the tube rec.

I may have tin ears though.

I dont know, my mesa has a switch for tube and ss rec. Truthfully I dont hear anything in it, but I do feel the difference, I think I do.

A friend who builds amps has a JTM45 type clone or something similar, it also has a switch for the type of rec amongst others. I dont hear the rec tube or ss as a major tone shaping tool on that amp either. Maybe its smoother and a bit more compressed and doesnt have the same attack with the tube rec.

I may have tin ears though.

I consider myself blessed to have somewhat tin ears, adds to greater gear contentment and increased bank balances or as someone else quoted, more Mel Bay and less E Bay.

Well I think its most noticeable when you crank the amp with a non master volume.. otherwise the power section doesn't work that hard and the sag isn't much of a factor

A small amp like this would be an ideal candidate as you won't blow the doors off at full vol

Well I think its most noticeable when you crank the amp with a non master volume.. otherwise the power section doesn't work that hard and the sag isn't much of a factor

A small amp like this would be an ideal candidate as you won't blow the doors off at full vol

I think I might be a person that only notices drastic changes and misses subtle nuances when it comes to stuff like this.

I was serious when I said I may have tin ears. :)

I find stuff like this interesting and like hearing others experience. I like to know what they are hearing and listening to or for.

Archived