Heritage Owners Club

Fulltone Fulldrive MOSFET?

Has anyone tried one of these? Guitar World listed it as one of the top pedals for blues guitar. With its abilities to add just a little hair to a lot of dirt and a foot switchable boost for solos, it seems like an all in one pedal for me. For those who have or had this what did you like or not like about it?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I've had just about every version of the Fulldrive 2 ever made - Mike has made so many through the years. That said, I don't own one now. I found it a pedal that tended to get lost in the mix allot for me - just didn't cut through. My favorite version was the TR100 which was limited run of 100 of the original (pre-flat mid) FD2.

Check out the Home Brew Electronics (HBE) ParaDrive Detroit, same flavor, very tweakable, and the boost works whether the drive is on or not, I don't think all the versions of the Fulldrive do although the newest might. I really liked the Paradrive but it landed somwhere in between the OCD and Direct Drive that I already had on my board so was kind of redundant.

Yep, it is the Fulldrive 2...

What I was saying was I'm not sure the original FD2's were MOSFET. Mine had the push/pull knob for whatever it was suppose to do. Nice blue color, tho'. At one time it went into OD overtime. Full blast gain, no control the amount ... it was just on FULL! Sounded pretty darned good, but not what it was supposed to do. Mike fixed it. I still didn't like it.

Kuz and Yoslate both had 'em in the chain at the barn. the best guitarists I know all have 'em on the board. I was planning a purchase, then a friend of mine who's a mod on the BYOC forum made Centaur clone, and I went that route. Same reasons...Just a touch....not a modeled sound, but a hair of boost when thoughtfully used with the amp volume, can create real magic.

Kuz and Yoslate both had 'em in the chain at the barn. the best guitarists I know all have 'em on the board. I was planning a purchase, then a friend of mine who's a mod on the BYOC forum made Centaur clone, and I went that route. Same reasons...Just a touch....not a modeled sound, but a hair of boost when thoughtfully used with the amp volume, can create real magic.

Yep, that's my old one. I think it's a Gen 1 model. Might be a Gen 2. Rob makes it sound good. Didn't know John had added one to his board. Then again, I wouldn't know what ANYONE added since I didn't get to go ...... grrrr!!!!

Yep, that's my old one. I think it's a Gen 1 model. Might be a Gen 2. Rob makes it sound good. Didn't know John had added one to his board. Then again, I wouldn't know what ANYONE added since I didn't get to go ...... grrrr!!!!

if i recall Rob's (yours) wasn't the Mofset version, and John's was. I'll shut up now and let the dudes speak for themselves.

:icon_rr:

This is one of my favorite guitarist's pedal board... Its a few years outdated now, but I like his tone before he became endorsed by PRS...

pedal_board.jpg

He's got a Fulltone Supra-Trem, EH Holy Grail, and a Frampton Amp switcher. Wah is just a plain GCB-95 Crybaby. The other pedal is just a TU-2 tuner.

This is one of my favorite guitarist's pedal board... Its a few years outdated now, but I like his tone before he became endorsed by PRS...

pedal_board.jpg

He's got a Fulltone Supra-Trem, EH Holy Grail, and a Frampton Amp switcher. Wah is just a plain GCB-95 Crybaby. The other pedal is just a TU-2 tuner.

yep...man after my own heart..a little verb, and a little boost. I add a tremolo. that's it.

Go for it. they're a common pedal. bet you can pick one up at a GC sale, or used. I see them all the time

I've been using that pedal for 10 years and have both the MOSFET and non-MOSFET versions (I keep the MOSFET turned off anyway). It's a great pedal but like any distortion unit, it colors the sound. If you don't like that sound, there's not a lot you can do. I'm not sure it's the best unit for lower output single coils; the OCD is probably better for that.

yep...man after my own heart..a little verb, and a little boost. I add a tremolo. that's it.

Go for it. they're a common pedal. bet you can pick one up at a GC sale, or used. I see them all the time

Considering the pedal is like a souped up tube screamer (so Fulltone claims), I just might. But that would mean selling my Bad Monkey and my Joyo Ultimate Drive. Both fantastic, yet inexpensive pedals.

any guess as to who that board belongs to?

Had one. Sold it to the Prof. Think it was an FD2. Not sure it was mosfet. I wasn't in love with it. Rob seems to enjoy it quite a bit, last we talked about it.

Right, Kenny. FD2, non-MOSFET. Still on the board. It has its operational quirks. It was a little tricky to dial it to taste, initially. The volume pot is push/pull. It affects the first "stage" of the gain: Punched down, Thin and watery; up, it gives me a bit of hair and punch for bluesy leads and R&R rhythm playing. Can't tell by looking from above if it's up or down...and it gets popped down very easily. Don't like the effect of hitting the footswitch for a solo, and having telephone fidelity! Been meaning to take the knob off and put a big rubber washer under it, so it can't be pushed in. I don't play anything requiring the overdrive (second footswitch). But if you like that sort of thing, which just about everyone seems to, it's good.

Had the chance to use a vintage Centaur a couple of times, and as you've prescribed, Kip. They really are terrific.

Where I think this pedal REALLY shines is how David Grissom uses it.... on an amp that is already breaking up. DG uses it with either a Plexi or Bad Cat that is just starting to break up. I think it sounds really good as an pedal to take the amp more over the edge. I feel it is a little mid-scooped especially with the Mosfet settings. It doesn't sound or behave like a TS9 or a tubesreamer to me, it has it's own thing going on. The key to me with the Fulldrive II is setting both channels for low gain and dialing the tone with the tone knob (which usually needs to be turned up to at least 2:00 or 3:00 o'clock.

But again, it has stayed on the board because it doesn't get muddy, even when pushing a distorted amp.

Hmm, good stuff John... I've seen a couple used ones for under a $100... I wonder if I should pull the trigger. I checked out the Joyo line, and they don't have one like this... They do have a Utilmate Drive (I own and love it) which is a clone of the OCD.

If you want, I can try to record some sound clips of my OD pedals compared to the Fulltone II. I don't know if I agree with others here (and that is perfectly fine, really) that the Fulltone II doesn't give a good "just breaking up tone". Actually I use mine in two ways; 1) Is for exactly that just breaking up tone, and 2) To drive a dirty amp more

If I use the Fulltone II for that 1) just breaking up tone, I may also consider my early TS9. But the TS9 is better suited for single coil guitars (in my opinion) because the TS9 is SO midrange dominant. The Fulltone II has it's own "color", but not nearly as much as a TS9/tubescreamer.

AND I personally would recommend the Fulltone II with the Mosfet and boost functions. The Mosfet is creamier & rounder, more like say Larry Carlton tone. I don't use the Mosfet all the time, actually I use the "vintage" functions more for that grittier break up, but it is nice to have both options. And the drive + boost function is great for rhythm then boost to leads.

I will try to make some sound clips on Friday, tomorrow I am a little busy.

Josh, I can make the clips with my Carr Rambler (this will be similar to a Deluxe reverb that you are used to with 1x12 speaker).

I will then make a quick pass with my 150 and then a Strat to give complete sonic comparison.

Just remember me when you make it big!!!

JHS Pedals is a local company. Starting to make it pretty big in the boutique market for their pedals. I use a Morning Glory for my hair/slight OD, and a mini-boost bomb for that just a bit louder thing. :-) Extremely well built pedals. They do mods, as well. One of their biggest selling mods is to the MOSFET FD2. They claim to make the second side useable. I know one local musician (he sits in when he can) that has the JHS mod'd FD2 and he loves it! And this guy is a monster player. Worth checking out if you have an FD2 that you don't care for the boost side.

Josh, I can make the clips with my Carr Rambler (this will be similar to a Deluxe reverb that you are used to with 1x12 speaker).

I will then make a quick pass with my 150 and then a Strat to give complete sonic comparison.

Just remember me when you make it big!!!

Make it big? If you consider making $80 for driving two hours to play a three hour gig making it big... sure, I'll give you some props!

Archived