Heritage Owners Club

Compressors

tsp17

I have the Keeley 4 knob, but almost never use a compressor. I'm an OD, low to medium gain type of player and the compressor doesn't bring much to the mix for me. I sometimes wonder if I just don't know how I should be using it, but it is on my board just in case. If I ever learn some chicken picking I'll be using it.

I have the Keeley 4 knob, but almost never use a compressor. I'm an OD, low to medium gain type of player and the compressor doesn't bring much to the mix for me. I sometimes wonder if I just don't know how I should be using it, but it is on my board just in case. If I ever learn some chicken picking I'll be using it.

Im in the same boat. I hear others using it and like it but I never like what it does to my own sound or playing. Ive tried to understand it. Maybe its time to take another look.

Guest HRB853370

Keeley 2 knob v. Keeley 4 knob v. Wampler Ego v. Barber Tone Press v. MXR.

looking to even out volume without sacrificing dynamics and touch.

Thoughts?

Boss CS-3

Keeley 2 knob v. Keeley 4 knob v. Wampler Ego v. Barber Tone Press v. MXR.

looking to even out volume without sacrificing dynamics and touch.

Thoughts?

I've owned a bunch of compressors. Sold all of them. Keep buying more. Keep selling them. They never seem to give me Live what I hear playing without the band. If you can get one cheap enough could be worth trying. But at $150 - $200+, I can buy other things with that. Just my $0.02USD.

I've owned a bunch of compressors. Sold all of them. Keep buying more. Keep selling them. They never seem to give me Live what I hear playing without the band. If you can get one cheap enough could be worth trying. But at $150 - $200+, I can buy other things with that. Just my $0.02USD.

looking for a used one to try out. You can get a Boss CS-3 on ebay for $50 or less. I'll head over to GC this week to demo whatever they've got.

I've got a cs-3, thinking of having the JHS mod done, per Tulk's recommendation. I've tried to incorporate it as well, and the noise is just too much, although I like what it's doing to the sound. If the mod quiets it as it claims, that would make this a very serviceable pedal at a fraction of the cost of Keeley's/Barbers etc.

I've got a cs-3, thinking of having the JHS mod done, per Tulk's recommendation. I've tried to incorporate it as well, and the noise is just too much, although I like what it's doing to the sound. If the mod quiets it as it claims, that would make this a very serviceable pedal at a fraction of the cost of Keeley's/Barbers etc.

Good to know, thx. I need one as quiet as possible, so I'll pass on the Boss unless modded.

This may not be too helpful, but I never got along with compressors. I like to be in control of the dynamics and seem to loose that with compressors.

This may not be too helpful, but I never got along with compressors. I like to be in control of the dynamics and seem to loose that with compressors.

You absolutely lose the dynamics with a compressor. For chicken picken, especially with pick/fingers hybrid picking it balances out the volumes, and that's the only application I've found for them. I can't play lead for shit with one because it seems to sterilize my playing and make it all sound the same.

As for application, and the reason I tried working it in....Lowell George played a slide with a bone stock Strat into a compressor into a Dumble OD. Very unique sound, particularly the attack. Im a huge LG/LF fan. Took a class once and was actually told to have one in class at all times. For those that don't know, George played slide primarily.

" I said she's cold...."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmG8sdaeCYk

I'd rather have a fat boost then a compressor myself...

Hmmmmm...., I feel a Tim pedal coming on.

I've got an OD pedal that I like,(Plush Valve Job) but maybe a Tim would give me the double usage of a boost and subtle OD. I do think I want the richness and focused sound of the compression though. I think.

Another option might be the Tumbleweed compressor/boost pedal that Fargen makes. Anyone tried one?

Compressors never quite worked for me either. Got a Diamond Comp when I had a 12 string. It was right for that sound, and I can recommend the Diamond highly. Good as it was, I found no use for it after trading the 12 string.

MD

Just placed an ebay bid on a Diamond.

Best compressor in pedal form for guitar on planet earth, in my opinion, is the Empress.

Check out the video if you get the chance. Listen to more than just the first example, because they start with strong compression. The lower ratio's are more in line with my personal taste. FWIW

http://proguitarshop.com/empress-compressor.html

Archived