Heritage Owners Club

One or Two Piece Backs on Solic Body 150/157's...What's up?

Gitfiddler

Some of the H150 or H157 solid body gits have single piece backs and othes have a two piece back.

Is there a reason for this difference?

Strength?

Availability of matching Mahogany?

Builder preference or ease of construction?

I prefer a single piece back, especially if the finish is lighter and shows the wood grain.

It just depends on the piece of wood. The gang at Kzoo doesn't seem to consider one a premium ... if you order , you might get 1 piece or 2 piece unless you specify.

When Ren was asked about this, he seemed to kind of shrug it off. If it matters , then order it as your preference.

And for the player, if it is an especially light resonant piece of mahogany would you eliminate it because it has to be in 2 pieces...? Some would .. others might not care.

I believe that all of my 150's are one piece , but the 157 is two.

It just depends on the piece of wood. The gang at Kzoo doesn't seem to consider one a premium ... if you order , you might get 1 piece or 2 piece unless you specify.

When Ren was asked about this, he seemed to kind of shrug it off. If it matters , then order it as your preference.

And for the player, if it is an especially light resonant piece of mahogany would you eliminate it because it has to be in 2 pieces...? Some would .. others might not care.

I believe that all of my 150's are one piece , but the 157 is two.

Does Ren ever give a straight answer? :icon_smile:

My 150 has a 2 piece and my 157 is 1 piece back. :icon_scratch:

It's all about costs. One piece is going to cost you more....

Not true, they cost the same.

On my custom orders I specified "One Piece Body" and there is no cost difference. I feel there could be some sonic differences but I won't go into that.

If you don't custom order, then you have to ask the dealer or the seller if it is one piece or two piece.

All my guitars are one piece bodies (hey, if it is the same cost, why not) except for Yoder, who I bought from a seller who thought it was a one piece body (it is an incredibly matched two piece body).

Jonas Gustasson Guitars builds boutique guitars that selling street price for $10K and up. He often uses two two bodies on his guitars if he feels it is more appropriate for the build. I don't know if you can specify a one piece body from him or not, but the guys that buy his guitars don't complain about it.

here is a fun read:

http://blog.feinviolins.com/2011/05/violin-one-piece-vs-two-piece-back.html

"This is just a representation of the nicer violins made by Stradivarius, not the total number of violins

he made.)

One Piece Stradivarius Violins: 20

Two Piece Stradivarius Violins: 30

So Stradivarius, our go to guy for all things violin, could not decide either.

"

here is a fun read:

http://blog.feinviol...piece-back.html

"This is just a representation of the nicer violins made by Stradivarius, not the total number of violins

he made.)

One Piece Stradivarius Violins: 20

Two Piece Stradivarius Violins: 30

So Stradivarius, our go to guy for all things violin, could not decide either.

"

I don't think I have ever seen a one-piece violin body.

Archived