Heritage Owners Club

NAD Blues Jr

DavesNotHere

Well, I made a deal on my Twin today. It seems like I've been trying to move it forever, but it's really only been two weeks.

I was looking to sell it, buy a new Blues Jr and have a bit of walking around money.

That's pretty much what happened. In my Craigslist ad I mentioned the only trades I would consider would be a newish Blues Jr or a Heritage guitar.

A guy called today with a Jr. He came over and we made a deal, and I have some walking around money :)

It is in like new condition. It still has the protective plastic on it.

It's a sweet little amp.

He was an older retired guy, and he brought one of the nicest Strats I have ever seen to try out the Twin. It was a ten year old custom shop with a birds eye maple neck. But, when I plugged up the H-150 he said, "Heritage? That's a beautiful guitar, it looks like a Les Paul." Needless to say he got "the talk". I don't know if I made a convert but he seemed genuinely interested.

Anyway, here are a couple of shots of the new Jr.

DSCF1518_zps88765b19.jpg

DSCF1522_zpsaa1087c0.jpg

And there was a butterfly in the butterfly bush.

DSCF1488_zps07b03644.jpg

DSCF1499_zpsb3e3354c.jpg

Congratulations, Dave, and welcome to the Club! Here's some interesting reading, if you are interested in taking that really good and making it a really "great" amp....

https://billmaudio.com/wp/

and...

http://fenderforum.com/forum.html?db=&topic_number=94318&lastpost=2012-09-2009:48:45

Read it all, comprehend it, and we'll see you in 3 years.. :lol:

Little NADs are just as productive as big NADs; the best NADs are Happy NADs - Go NADs! My NADs never had a BJ come across them. Would you recommend BJ NADs for others?

Congrats on your new toy and pocket money!

Congratulations, Dave, and welcome to the Club! Here's some interesting reading, if you are interested in taking that really good and making it a really "great" amp....

https://billmaudio.com/wp/

and...

http://fenderforum.com/forum.html?db=&topic_number=94318&lastpost=2012-09-2009:48:45

Read it all, comprehend it, and we'll see you in 3 years.. :lol:

Do the mods if you can, the amp is fine as is, but to me sounds better after the mod.

Congrats too!

Thanks everyone. I'm loving it so far.

It sounds great with all my pointy Heritages. I haven't been able to dial in the tone for the 150 yet. The sound I'm gettimg from the 150 so far is brown and sounds like a bell.

It's only a couple of years old, so I suspect it's a cream board. I haven't taken it apart to look at it yet.

I'm intrigued by the mods, but I'm going to hold off for a while since it's soundig so good right now.

And my walking around money from the Twin has created a NHD for next week :)

• 3 weeks later...

Watching this thread with great interest. Thinking seriously about getting a blues jr. And mod'ing it for 5881s, tone stack, twin stack, presence, etc.

I liked the stock blues jr I played the other day a lot.

Guest HRB853370

Dave

I have a slightly modded BJ and I love it. How are you liking yours?

A BJ is a BJ, no two ways about it!

Was it a Twin Reverb traded Dave??

Guest HRB853370

What Vintage is that BJr, Dave? Cream board or Green board? Love the tweed.

The green boards are supposed to be an improvement over the cream boards, so I heard. Don't know if there is any truth to it. I never owned a Junior.

^^I think it's the other way around, Slammer. Regardless, I've played both and both sound great to me. I think a Blues Jr. is one of the best values going right now in tube amps. They have a lot of headroom, and take pedals really well.

The green boards are supposed to be an improvement over the cream boards, so I heard. Don't know if there is any truth to it. I never owned a Junior.

The newer models are a little brighter than the older models. MIM Blues Jrs are newer. The 90's blues juniors are USA made..

Guest HRB853370

^^I think it's the other way around, Slammer. Regardless, I've played both and both sound great to me. I think a Blues Jr. is one of the best values going right now in tube amps. They have a lot of headroom, and take pedals really well.

I would love to find one. But you know, I really dont need another amp.

I would like to hear DB's objective take on the BJ versus the PV DB amp. He has owned both.

The newer models are a little brighter than the older models. MIM Blues Jrs are newer. The 90's blues juniors are USA made..

DB,

I think I saw jr.'s from China the other day. Not sure but that's what I think I saw.

y2kc

I would like to hear DB's objective take on the BJ versus the PV DB amp. He has owned both.

Will~ Fender BJ is apples to oranges compared to Peavey's Delta Blues...especially the DB 1-15 speaker version.

They are so different, it could potentially give a former GAS'less person exceptionally troublesome GAS.

I really dig the thick delta tones and syrupy vibrato of the PV. It's got more headroom than the BJ also. I loaded my DB 15 with JJ's and oh man, it sang. I sold it to hep fund the purchase of a Silverface Deluxe Reverb. Otherwise I'd still own it. The Blues Jr. has been modded so much I can't afford to let her go...but she still sings loud and sweet.

If they are made in China now, I wouldn't be surprised.

As fa as comparisons go between the Peavey Delta Blues and the Blues Jr...

Well the tone is very close. The sheer volume and features of the Delta Blues are better, 30 watts versus 15, overdrive channel and tremolo circuitry, the DB wins... The DB overdrive is more usuable then the blues junior, but the junior handles dirt pedals better and doesn't sound as compressed. However the deciding factor for me is the blues junior is repairable, unlike the micro PCB parts of the Peavey. Oops, forgot on major key factor, the blues junior is twenty pounds lighter. I rather like the SRV tones you can get with the Peavey with its monster 15" speaker, the the blues junior wins in the end.... Honestly you can't go wrong with either if size and weight aren't an issue.... Wish the Blues Jr came in a head cab too....

It was my first electric guitar amp, and made a lot of sense for me when I bought it. I sold if after buying a KBP810 Reverb Deluxe from DB. It's ironic that I upgraded from a BJ to a Fender blackface clone and DB sold a great blackface clone to eventually settle on a BJ.

But I have to say that as much as I liked the Blues Jr., I'm much happier with the Reverb Deluxe. Since then, I've added a 1974x Marshall clone and a Guytron GT100 F/V. These are all high quality tone monsters that out-perform the Blues Jr, in almost every way except that they weigh more. However, I also have a pretty unique Mahaffey lunchbox size tube amp that produces some pretty good tone and is only 8 lbs.

Were I you, I'd have Brian build me an amp or pick up DBs Marshall clone before I'd add a BJ to my collection.

It was my first electric guitar amp, and made a lot of sense for me when I bought it. I sold if after buying a KBP810 Reverb Deluxe from DB. It's ironic that I upgraded from a BJ to a Fender blackface clone and DB sold a great blackface clone to eventually settle on a BJ.

But I have to say that as much as I liked the Blues Jr., I'm much happier with the Reverb Deluxe. Since then, I've added a 1974x Marshall clone and a Guytron GT100 F/V. These are all high quality tone monsters that out-perform the Blues Jr, in almost every way except that they weigh more. However, I also have a pretty unique Mahaffey lunchbox size tube amp that produces some pretty good tone and is only 8 lbs.

Were I you, I'd have Brian build me an amp or pick up DBs Marshall clone before I'd add a BJ to my collection.

I would agree with you whole-heartedly....If you were only talking about a non-modded Blues Junior. Having had pretty much all the mods done, along with a Texas Heat speaker, I have to say my Blues Junior amp is my most usable, especially since it has a master volume. DB has said that his Marshall clone sounds great, LOUD, but harder to get the tone he was looking for at lower volumes. I LIKE to get loud, but it's not terribly practical for this basement player. The Blues Junior can sound good at any volume, and that's essential for me. I have and love a Deluxe Reverb Re-issue and a KBP810 built 5E3 (Tweed Deluxe.) I just think it's too easy for people who have only played a stock Blues Junior to dismiss them as a starter amp only, to be discarded once they can afford something else.

Guest HRB853370

My Marshall clone sounds much better since I figured out the the patch cable trick between the channels. Much better now!

I have to figure out the patch cable trick on my 5E3. I wonder if Shundog has tried patching the channels on his KBP?

Guest HRB853370

Will~ Fender BJ is apples to oranges compared to Peavey's Delta Blues...especially the DB 1-15 speaker version.

They are so different, it could potentially give a former GAS'less person exceptionally troublesome GAS.

I really dig the thick delta tones and syrupy vibrato of the PV. It's got more headroom than the BJ also. I loaded my DB 15 with JJ's and oh man, it sang. I sold it to hep fund the purchase of a Silverface Deluxe Reverb. Otherwise I'd still own it. The Blues Jr. has been modded so much I can't afford to let her go...but she still sings loud and sweet.

If they are made in China now, I wouldn't be surprised.

As fa as comparisons go between the Peavey Delta Blues and the Blues Jr...

Well the tone is very close. The sheer volume and features of the Delta Blues are better, 30 watts versus 15, overdrive channel and tremolo circuitry, the DB wins... The DB overdrive is more usuable then the blues junior, but the junior handles dirt pedals better and doesn't sound as compressed. However the deciding factor for me is the blues junior is repairable, unlike the micro PCB parts of the Peavey. Oops, forgot on major key factor, the blues junior is twenty pounds lighter. I rather like the SRV tones you can get with the Peavey with its monster 15" speaker, the the blues junior wins in the end.... Honestly you can't go wrong with either if size and weight aren't an issue.... Wish the Blues Jr came in a head cab too....

Take note that my PV DB has the 2x10 configuration. I never compared side by side with the 1x15 but I would bet the 15 gets louder. I could be wrong.

I would agree with you whole-heartedly....If you were only talking about a non-modded Blues Junior. Having had pretty much all the mods done, along with a Texas Heat speaker, I have to say my Blues Junior amp is my most usable, especially since it has a master volume. DB has said that his Marshall clone sounds great, LOUD, but harder to get the tone he was looking for at lower volumes. I LIKE to get loud, but it's not terribly practical for this basement player. The Blues Junior can sound good at any volume, and that's essential for me. I have and love a Deluxe Reverb Re-issue and a KBP810 built 5E3 (Tweed Deluxe.) I just think it's too easy for people who have only played a stock Blues Junior to dismiss them as a starter amp only, to be discarded once they can afford something else.

That may well be since My Blues Jr. only had the tone stack mod.

Archived