Heritage Owners Club

SD '59's or Seth Lovers on new guitar?

y2kc

What is your take on these two offerings? So many Humbuckers out there claiming to have that classic sound, how do you think these two do when played clean or pushed. Which one is going to sing when dimed. I know that everyone has a tone in there head that they are tying to obtain, does one of these do it for you over the other?

Do you feel one is better in a solidbody guitar over the other? Both pickups are great and are used world wide, what do Heritage owners think?

Just a question for a Saturday morning,

y2kc

Heritage h-125 Rambow

great question! i have two H guitars with seths and they are fabulous. no experience with 59s but my *impressions* from reading forum posts is that seths are a bit "smoother."

Seths have a bit more growl. I've had both; currently an H150 with Seth's and an H150P with a SD59 in the neck and Pearly Gates in the Bridge (yes DB, I installed them after all).

I like them both, but prefer the Seth Lovers. They jes gots that ol' time religion.

I have a similar quandary. I have my 140 that currently has Schallers. They sound great. But I also have sets of Gibson 57 Classics, Dimarzio 36th Anniversary PAF's, SD 59's, and Wilde (Bill Lawrence) L-500s. The L-500s would look a bit odd in that guitar. But I love the set of L-90s that I have in my 170. The L-500s sound similar but a bit brighter. I also really like the Dimarzios and the Gibsons. First world problems.

If it came down to 59s or Seths, I'd go with the Seths.

I have an H 535 with SD 59s and an H 535 with Seths.

I don't think that I can define, or express in words exactly what the difference in tone is between the two sets of pups,

but to my ears I like the sound of the Seths better than the 59s.

Not that the 59s sound bad, just like the Seths better, IMO.

Guest HRB853370

I have had Seths and 59's and I concur that the Seths have a bit more drive to them (or snarl, growl, however you would phrase it). I find them to be very high output pups. I have them in a 150 and in a 535.

Seths have a bit more growl. I've had both; currently an H150 with Seth's and an H150P with a SD59 in the neck and Pearly Gates in the Bridge (yes DB, I installed them after all).

I like them both, but prefer the Seth Lovers. They jes gots that ol' time religion.

Glad you finally got around to them.

I love the bridge SD 59 on my 150, but I just can't bond with the neck 59.

I have the exact opposite thought- love the SD 59 as a neck pickup, but don't care for it in the bridge... Having said that, I am going to pair an SD '59 (neck) with an SD Custom 5 (Bridge) and see how that sounds...

I've never been a fan of the '59's. Bu they're decent. The Seth's are brighter and more open sounding for sure. Al2 vs. Al5, potted vs. unpotted play into the differences as well.

I agree with Jamison!!

I had 59s in my 150. I had no problem with the bridge but the neck was muddy, dull and just not pleasant to me. I took them out. Wolfetone Marshallheads in there now

I have a seth lovers in my G&L ASAT Bluesboy in the neck and its awesome.

I might want to get rid of my 59s if anyone is interested? I was thinking of putting them in my soon to be new 535 but I might not either.

Is that a good idea or should I keep em in case I ever sell my 150 so that the original pups are with it?

I love Seth's more than any other pup, and have them in most of my humbucker guitars.

One thing I love about the Seth's is that I find them VERY responsive to height adjustment. Lower them and they really get this big open sound. Put 'em close to the strings and they suddenly focus like crazy.

Thanks for all the input. I am going with Seth Lovers on this Heritage. I am looking for a little "growl" in my tone as someone put it.

Heritage is building an interesting guitars for me. A little different.

Thanks again for the help,

y2kc

H-125 mahogany

H-125 maple

Archived