Heritage Owners Club

Any picture or precise description of a "Floating block" ?

dantahoua

Hello!
As a guitar lover/maker I'm curious about the famous floating block in some Heritage. Is this block thick (like almost going from top to back), very wide, deep? If you have some infos, I take them!!!
Thanks!

my understanding is that it contacts the center top but does not extend to the sides or back. Great mounting surface, but still leaves some acoustic properties.

The-Floating-Guitar-002.jpg

Lol! Excellent! My understanding is the same also but if the block is too heavy, it probably change the sound. Too light and it's not strong enough... That why I would like to have some details!

The floating centre block on my Prospect doesn't touch the back of the guitar, there's maybe a 1/8" - 1/4" gap ( 3mm - 6mm). I think the purpose is to allow the back of the guitar to vibrate more freely, which can increase sustain but also increase feedback.

The block on the 535 and 576 does touch the back of the guitar, and I presume the idea is to reduce feedback.

I don't have any photos as it's a little awkward to see and probably a lot more awkward to photograph, so I'll include a gratuitious shot ...

535prospect-03.jpg

The block on the 535 and 576 does touch the back of the guitar, and I presume the idea is to reduce feedback.

btw as for weight the 576 weighs the same as my 150, 8.2lbs, it's basically a deeper bodied single cut 535 so it's not that bad considering.

wait wait wait....the 576 block touches the back and is basically constructed as a 535...you mean to say that center block is the length and depth of the body?? That would mean it's a piece of maple 20 x 3.5 x 2.75?? Thats a serious chuck of wood! Add that to the fact that it's laminate top and back and it's really dramatically different from the 575. Anyone...what's a 575 weigh?

wait wait wait....the 576 block touches the back and is basically constructed as a 535...you mean to say that center block is the length and depth of the body?? That would mean it's a piece of maple 20 x 3.5 x 2.75?? Thats a serious chuck of wood! Add that to the fact that it's laminate top and back and it's really dramatically different from the 575. Anyone...what's a 575 weigh?

Brain fart alert ..... got my models mixed up, the 576 has a floating centre block. Stands to reason, if it was a solid block it would be seriously heavy.

Archived