Heritage Owners Club

Amp builders: transformer question.

H

I can get hold of most USA-made transformers here in the UK, with export versions handling the local 230-240V 50hz supply.

Given a choice of any power transformer brand for a new Fender-derived build, which would you choose and for what major reason?

there is a company here in Chicago called Magnetic Components Inc. That has been building paper layered vintage transformers for 70 years.

http://www.classictone.net/

I know that a few well known Fender Kit designers spec/include them for their builds. This is my 5F1 clone.

champassembledweb-587x600.jpg

Personally I have no frame of reference to say they're any better or worse than anybody else.

I would highly recommend Magnetic Components as well; others such as Heyboer, Edcor, Hammond, and Mercury, are all also good choices (I know there are a few I am forgetting to reference here as well that just aren't coming to mind at the moment). I'd steer clear of any made in China, they just don't hold up.

Aside from that, it would be hard to recommend anything more specific without knowing which amp circuit style and tubes you plan on running - a few important things to consider though (that I'm sure you've already contemplated, so just throwing it out there): make sure the heater/filament current rating is sufficient for your tube compliment, I've seen this overlooked a few times before; if you want to use a tube rectifier, you'll want the extra 5v heater winding for it; if adjustable bias, depending on the circuit style you are going with, a Bias lead (usually 50v give or take) is something to look for as well.

PT in of itself might not have as a direct impact on tone as an OT does (sans perhaps different secondary voltages); but a correct PT that can handle the task it's given and will provide numerous years of faithful operation is indeed of upmost importance!

Thanks KBP :) Mercury Magnetics are at quite a premium for the PT spec I'm looking at so it's good to know that Hammond and Magnetic Components are on your list: their equivalent PTs are just over half the price.

You didn't mention MojoTone's PTs: how would you rate them? These are very easy to get hold of in the UK!

Without giving anything away, this is a dual 6L6 circuit which, with the requisite rebias, will also run a pair of EL34s.

Thanks KBP :) Mercury Magnetics are at quite a premium for the PT spec I'm looking at so it's good to know that Hammond and Magnetic Components are on your list: their equivalent PTs are just over half the price.

You didn't mention MojoTone's PTs: how would you rate them? These are very easy to get hold of in the UK!

Without giving anything away, this is a dual 6L6 circuit which, with the requisite rebias, will also run a pair of EL34s.

Mojotone's are made by Heyboer, so go for it!

As said earlier, keep an eye on the filament heater current rating, EL34's take a little more current to run then 6L6's (1.5A for EL34 vs 900ma for 6L6, and 300ma per preamp tube) - some transformers are made to be just "good enough", so it's entirely possible that a given 2x6L6 fender transformer might come up just short.

Mine is also a dual 6l6 in fixed bias.. About 40 watts. Based on the 5e3 circuit . Two channel jumpable, two volume one tone. I'm thinking of heyboer or classic tone as well.

Funny!

Awww yeah, there is some a$$ kickin' beefed up super tweed deluxe buildin' craziness going down on the HOC :headbang:

Mine is also a dual 6l6 in fixed bias.. About 40 watts. Based on the 5e3 circuit . Two channel jumpable, two volume one tone. I'm thinking of heyboer or classic tone as well.

Funny!

Nice! :) Mine's a classic Blackface circuit, though not the obvious one. Once I have the chassis and panels in my grubby paws, I'll come clean :)

Archived