Heritage Owners Club

Best Blues Amp

BluesDabbler

Guest HRB853370
I love Rory Gallagher but any one playing a strat through the bridge pick up and a Brit amp will slice your ears off. On top of that Rory did use a treble boost switch as those old Vox amps were a bit muddy. I hear a lot of strat players playing loud and harsh at gigs and it is unpleasant. I am going to buy an amp dedicated to my strat to take the edge off it.

The best blues amp? If you can't feel the blues, you can't play it. I am talking about feeling the music, not that your cat got run over or anything like that....

Right on. Its like asking, "what is the best type of woman to have?" If she feels good, that is all that matters.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I love Rory Gallagher but any one playing a strat through the bridge pick up and a Brit amp will slice your ears off. On top of that Rory did use a treble boost switch as those old Vox amps were a bit muddy. I hear a lot of strat players playing loud and harsh at gigs and it is unpleasant. I am going to buy an amp dedicated to my strat to take the edge off it.The best blues amp? If you can't feel the blues, you can't play it. I am talking about feeling the music, not that your cat got run over or anything like that....

+ 100000000 on Rory. He was an incredible player, but his tone gives me migraines!!!!!

I attribute that to his strat bridge pup with no tone control...after finally owning a gtr wired like that I understand why....ouch!!

I believe that is the case with Neil Young and his Les Pauls, the tone knobs are bypassed.

he has a toggle switch to bypass the tone ctrls, on the black one at least.

he also uses a firebird pickup in the bridge, which is a bit brighter as well? from what I've read/heard

I love Neil's tone. I bet the tone bypass is so he doesn't accidentally turn them while performing. But Neil & Crazy Horse is the ultimate crunch tone in my opinion.

there is video of them jamming/recording at hois ranch & he asks the band which sounds better, between 2 gtr sounds ....then explains the toggle switch. I don't think he has it on all the time ( or "off" I guess, is more correct!! )

I didn't have my priorities straight when I previously posted about the Gibson Goldtone.

http://category5amps.com/ivan.html

I'll take an Ivan for me and my man cave. Big Brother Andrew could go out on the town with us, when people actually *want* to hear me play.

If you haven't heard of them yet, a few guys you might have heard of do.

Joe Bonamassa

Warren Haynes

Derek Trucks

Tab Benoit

and the list goes on and on.

Pretty cool boutique amps.

Add Samantha Fish to the Category 5 list...

Well, I haven't seen anyone mention this amp yet. I don't know if it would qualify as "the best blues amp" but I have high hopes it will do okay.

I just brought home a brand spankin' new, all tube VOX AC 15 Custom

As in... AC15C1: 15 Watts Single 12" Celestion G12M Greenback Speaker

http://www.voxamps.com/custom/ac15/

I don't have photos yet.

The idea occurred to me that I might want to take a break from the face melting heavy metal once in a while and play some clean tones for a change.

I also thought that I might not need to strain the power grid every time plug in my guitar.

This amp should be okay for blues, yes?

I like the AC15, but I found the hand wired model to sound better. I don't know why, but it did...

Archived