Heritage Owners Club

Best Blues Amp

BluesDabbler

Gosh, it would have to be the Axe-fx. After all it does so many amp models rather brilliantly...or so I've read here. Could keep a lot of folks happy. Just change to the amp of the week and no having go buy and sell amps at a loss of $$ like folks going through a circular door.

OUCH!

JK...

I have too many amps, but all of them can cop great blues expression. it's my brain and fingers that need work. Best for me to speak for myself.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't have my priorities straight when I previously posted about the Gibson Goldtone.

http://category5amps.com/ivan.html

I'll take an Ivan for me and my man cave. Big Brother Andrew could go out on the town with us, when people actually *want* to hear me play.

If you haven't heard of them yet, a few guys you might have heard of do.

Joe Bonamassa

Warren Haynes

Derek Trucks

Tab Benoit

and the list goes on and on.

Pretty cool boutique amps.

Guest HRB853370

HA!!!! It would be better if the dirty jack was in the center of the "heart"

But then the jack hole would need cleaning all the time.

I have two..My Peavey Classic 30..Just a damn good all around amp..But I also have a beat up all original tweed Gibsonette GA-8, from 1959..It just sing and growls..especially when someone else is playing thru it..LOL

Just curious what amps you consider the best amps for a warm blues tone?

I thought he framed it pretty well.

Been thinking about this for a while. I get bombarded with a lot of blues music through out the day both as back ground music and as singular guitar sounds played through any amp. I also get to hear lots of other music. Ive spent the last week listening for a cold guitar tone and havnt heard one. Least of all a cold blues tone.

Can some one explain warm blues tone vs colder blues tone.

Seems to me my perception of guitar tone when I hear it is warm. Im not sure what colder guitar tone is.

I understand jagged and smooth, fat and thin, bright and dark etc, but hear them all as warm.

Some one post a warm blues tone and a cold or less warm blues tone comparison. Lets not go with tepid though. Just good warm blues tone and good less warm blues tone.

Been thinking about this for a while. I get bombarded with a lot of blues music through out the day both as back ground music and as singular guitar sounds played through any amp. I also get to hear lots of other music. Ive spent the last week listening for a cold guitar tone and havnt heard one. Least of all a cold blues tone.

Seems to me my perception of guitar tone when I hear it is warm. Im not sure what colder guitar tone is.

I understand jagged and smooth, fat and thin, bright and dark etc, but hear them all as warm.

Some one post a warm blues tone and a cold or less warm blues tone comparison. Lets not go with tepid though. Just good warm blues tone and good less warm blues tone.

Whoa! You bored again Jeff? ;)

Whoa! You bored again Jeff? ;)

ha! I was serious. But thanks for the wake up. Im going to turn off the computer and run arpeggio's * 'til * I forget about warm and less warm tone.

*I read 'til comes from until and until comes from till, not the other way around. I read it on the internet so I dont know how reliable the source was/is.

Ive been pulled up for using * till * rather than * 'til *.

Just thought I would share :)

edit:

yep, Im bored. puter off for a while me thinks.

Wow, that's a good one. Perhaps BB King is Warm, and Albert King is cold?

Guest HRB853370

I have two..My Peavey Classic 30..Just a damn good all around amp..But I also have a beat up all original tweed Gibsonette GA-8, from 1959..It just sing and growls..especially when someone else is playing thru it..LOL

A Gibsonette? Female version of a Gibson amp?

I thought people might use Albert Collins as an example of a cold or frosty tone because of his album names.

I dont hear it as a cold tone. Its barky and bitey but its also thick and full. Its strident and unashamed and sizzles on the top end. When he's playing it sounds ready to explode not freeze over. Its like bombs going off or trees cracking under extreme heat as a fire sweeps through a forest in the middle of a hot dry summer.

I dont hear cold in his playing or his sound. Some publicist or journalist might have suggested its frosty or cold and it stuck but I dont hear it that way.

I might hear cold guitar sound in industrial or other metal but not with Albert Collins playing his style of blues. Its more like sharp stabs with a hot brand.

Archived