Heritage Owners Club

Best Blues Amp

BluesDabbler

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Albert Collins & Roy Buchanan have the coldest, most piercing blues tones I have ever heard.

probably due to the tele's into cranked SF fender twins or whatever they used

also Rory Gallagher's bridge strat tone ( I assume because there is no tone control = bright....just like my George Fullerton sig & some of those vintage strats )

ps I thought that EC crossroads strat tone was pretty warm for a strat, he's got that mid boost thing working overtime there!!

Man, I will confess that Johnny Winter doesn't do it for me. His slide playing is great but the tone is SO nails-on-the-chalkboard meets ice-pick-in-the-ear. It physically hurts me to listen to him play. And his voice just seems too unnatural for me.

Again, just my opinion.

Derrick Trucks' tone through his Super brings tears to my eyes.

Yep, I love the WARMER tone of slide playing (Truck, Duane Allman, Joe Walsh- maybe not the best slide player but maybe my favorite tone, Warren Haynes, ect). I just can't listen to Johnny Winter.

I also can't listen to Rory Gallagher. His tone hurts my ears. GREAT guitarist he was, but that ice-pick bridge pup is a deal breaker for me. Interestingly, I have/had no problem with Albert Collins tone. Maybe AC high use of reverb rounded off the tone for me.

No worries, after all I've posted and the gear I bought and sold, I deserve it.

As far as amps goes, I'm thinking of just buying another Blues Jr and swapping the cabinet for something bigger.

They are hard to find but Fender made an amp called the two-tone which was basically a blues jr. in a larger cab with a 10 & 12 speaker... I regret selling mine.

That was probably my favorite Clapton tones ever. Then again he was playing 85% Kalamzoo produced guitars!!! And IMHO, his Strat is voiced to TRY to sound like a LP with the mid-boost function and blocked trem. It is probably too late in his career, but I wish he would go back to his Gibson tone and playing. He plays different on a LP or 335, much more aggressive.

You mean like this....

So, I guess the warm sound would be humbuckers through a tweed, and the cold sound would be single coils through a blackface? I love the Clapton stuff posted here, both Fender and Gibby. I guess I'm lucky enough to have a Blackface Princeton to play my H170 through. Now if I could play like Clapton----

They are hard to find but Fender made an amp called the two-tone which was basically a blues jr. in a larger cab with a 10 & 12 speaker... I regret selling mine.

...And the closest thing to that was an 80's Princeton Reverb II. It's like the amp a Blues Jr. was supposed to be!

Well, I haven't seen anyone mention this amp yet. I don't know if it would qualify as "the best blues amp" but I have high hopes it will do okay.

I just brought home a brand spankin' new, all tube VOX AC 15 Custom

As in... AC15C1: 15 Watts Single 12" Celestion G12M Greenback Speaker

http://www.voxamps.com/custom/ac15/

I don't have photos yet.

The idea occurred to me that I might want to take a break from the face melting heavy metal once in a while and play some clean tones for a change.

I also thought that I might not need to strain the power grid every time plug in my guitar.

This amp should be okay for blues, yes?

yeah I love those new voxes they are very versatile. best master volume I've heard too

damn....that EC/Les Paul clip was dynamite!!

that's the tone he created 40 years ago, he still has it in him :D he should do an entire album as a tribute to the Les Paul.

rockabilly that is my fave era of Stones as well...loose, sweaty, greasy, jamful

...and just to clarify, "cold" does not mean "bad" IMO!! it is just a different range of tonal spectrum. Jimmie Vaughan and early Buddy Guy tone, along with some Robert Cray, I would also classify as colder tone

Sure is the '59. Could be a Twin; could be a Super. Who knows.... At :45, he goes to the middle position. At 1:24, the tone becomes Divine! Snooky Flowers plays a terrific sax solo! 4:24 to the end: For my money, the best tone and the most unrestrained joy I've ever heard from a guitar!

Bloomfield, what can you say? He had the "gift" and the "demons". One of the greatest of all time and Muddy thought so too. I have most of his stuff on vinyl and CD. When I listen it always leaves me wondering what could have been.

• 2 weeks later...

I love Rory Gallagher but any one playing a strat through the bridge pick up and a Brit amp will slice your ears off. On top of that Rory did use a treble boost switch as those old Vox amps were a bit muddy. I hear a lot of strat players playing loud and harsh at gigs and it is unpleasant. I am going to buy an amp dedicated to my strat to take the edge off it.

The best blues amp? If you can't feel the blues, you can't play it. I am talking about feeling the music, not that your cat got run over or anything like that....

Archived