Heritage Owners Club

Heritage 150's and Gibson Heritage 80's...Any Connection?

Gitfiddler

Back in the early 80's Gibson produced their first attempt at duplicating their '59 era Les Pauls and called the models "Heritage Elite" or Heritage 80".

They were great guitars, that some even called their 'Pre-Reissues' since they predated the 90's Reissue models.

Since Heritage Guitars started in the early 80's, is that possibly where the new spinoff upstarts got the name?

Is there any connection to the original Heritage H-150's that the boys on Parsons Street started building?

Just thinking about the name made me wonder why this hasn't been discussed on the HOC before...Or has it?

Guest HRB853370

Back in the early 80's Gibson produced their first attempt at duplicating their '59 era Les Pauls and called the models "Heritage Elite" or Heritage 80".

They were great guitars, that some even called their 'Pre-Reissues' since they predated the 90's Reissue models.

Since Heritage Guitars started in the early 80's, is that possibly where the new spinoff upstarts got the name?

Is there any connection to the original Heritage H-150's that the boys on Parsons Street started building?

Just thinking about the name made me wonder why this hasn't been discussed on the HOC before...Or has it?

Actually, Heritage didn't start producing until 1986 Tim. But who knows the answer! Might be another great question for Jim, Marv or Ren at PSP!

Actually, Heritage didn't start producing until 1986 Tim. But who knows the answer! Might be another great question for Jim, Marv or Ren at PSP!

Actually late '84 Will... That's why the 1985 is a B serial number.... The A serial numbers are ultra rare and featured an all mahogany body.

Some of the best information I've ever read on the web about the Gibson Heritage 80's was over at the LP Forum. Mike Slubowski has done amazing research on this and other LP models.

Here's a link to the Heritage 80 history according to Mike:

http://www.lespaulforum.com/slubarticle/59reissues/59reissuearticle.html

I'd love to have Marv build me one!!

I wonder if it was an underhanded attempt to preserve the phrase "Heritage Les Paul" as Gibson was be aware the guys at Heritage would be building guitars, after buying the building/tooling etc

from what I understand there was also some legal activity going on around the same time, Gibson was trying to shut Heritage down

I wonder if it was an underhanded attempt to preserve the phrase "Heritage Les Paul" as Gibson was be aware the guys at Heritage would be building guitars, after buying the building/tooling etc

from what I understand there was also some legal activity going on around the same time, Gibson was trying to shut Heritage down

Which explains the Superstrat designs back then...

Guest HRB853370

Actually late '84 Will... That's why the 1985 is a B serial number.... The A serial numbers are ultra rare and featured an all mahogany body.

From the Heritage website Josh. The company was incorporated in April of 1985. The first guitar Heritage introduced was the H-140 solid body single cutaway electric guitar. This model was shown at the NAMM show in June of 1985. They didn't make any models with the A serial number. That was simply a placemarker for 1984.

So how could they be producing in 1984?

From the Heritage website Josh. The company was incorporated in April of 1985. The first guitar Heritage introduced was the H-140 solid body single cutaway electric guitar. This model was shown at the NAMM show in June of 1985. They didn't make any models with the A serial number. That was simply a placemarker for 1984.

So how could they be producing in 1984?

There were a very few pre-production guitars made in 1984 with an A serial number... we've seen one or two of them here.

I think that the one hanging on the wall as you walk in the plant is possibly from 1984 ..

Guest HRB853370

There were a very few pre-production guitars made in 1984 with an A serial number... we've seen one or two of them here.

I think that the one hanging on the wall as you walk in the plant is possibly from 1984 ..

Thanks Fred, MLA stands corrected!! (my lame ass)

Archived