Heritage Owners Club

Grab and Go Amps

Without highjacking Kidsmoke's thread on Blues Jr or Peavey amps, I wanted to ask you all about a grab and go amp for rehearsals and at home. I need an amp that is under $200 on the used market, is loud enough to cut through the mix with the band, but is lightweight and usable at home at very low volumes.

My thoughts are a Fender Mustang I or II. At PSP V, Schundog brought his Mustang I which I thought was a rather loud little amp that did sound really good. I really liked that amp a lot. It seemed like it could cut through the mix with the band. But just to be safe, I was thinking of a Mustang II since its a little louder being twice the wattage (I know solid state versus tube amps and double wattage does not mean double volume).

Another amp I have consider was a Fender Superchamp XD. I had one of those and wish I never let it go. It was a good little 15W practice amp with DSP modeling and effects. Not too bad, not very big, but loud enough to cut through with the band once before.

I want to avoid Line 6 since there seems to be a lot of problems with them suddenly going belly up.

Not sure about Peavey at that range either...

So tell me, what do you all think about my narrow choices and what would you recommend for someone like me that loves a fat tube sound like the Bassman? I want the amp to be under $200 and under 30lbs. What am I missing? What do you all think?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not necessarily a fat tube amp, but more sparkly. I love my Vox AC4 TV 4 watt, all tube amp, switchable to 1 watt, 10" speaker sounds pretty good to my ears, especially with the H 535 - it's like they were made for each other. It's $249 at Guitar Center, but, hey, they take trades on your old equipment.

Plus, you know if I use it, it's gotta be light.

Without highjacking Kidsmoke's thread on Blues Jr or Peavey amps, I wanted to ask you all about a grab and go amp for rehearsals and at home. I need an amp that is under $200 on the used market, is loud enough to cut through the mix with the band, but is lightweight and usable at home at very low volumes.

the moment I saw the thread title I thought to myself "that's what I should have called my thread!" LOL. Highjack away.

Although really, we are talking different animals, I want a "compact" giggable amp. You've got gigs covered.

But...sounds like a tall order DB, loud enough to basically BE a giggable amp (you want to practice with the band) AND be small, light, cheap and quiet at home?

Why not just use your Supersonic when your with the Band, whether it's practice or gig. and have your practice amp be something different?

That Bugera V5, with a headphone jack, seems like a great idea if you went that route. Or the Vox AC4TV, little pricier....but...

What I've come to realize is, home practicing is far more about getting the work in on the fretboard, and less about the sonic splendor. Sure you want it to sound nice, but a lot of little amps can sound pleasing while not replicating your "live sound"

I actually saw a used Mustang III this week with a broken headphone jack for $179; Of course, for very little more, you can catch a MF sale at 15% off (going on right now, actually) and get a brand spankin' new one for $250ish. I have a small Peavey Vyper, and it's not nearly the amp that the Mustangs are, sonically or build wise. And I'm no Peavey Hater, I love my C30. Another used/Pawn Shop option would be the older Vox AD 30/50. Some really nice tones there to be had for cheap. BEST option, if you can find one, would be another SuperChamp XD, IMHO. Very light/portable, great tone. I'd never have believed it from that little speaker if I didn't have one. Good luck.

addendum...the thing with those little tube amps is also that you can drive a cab. Maybe leave a 110 in your practice space and bring a V5 in the car....

but if you're not gonna practice your live sound with your live sound amp....why bother?

Not necessarily a fat tube amp, but more sparkly. I love my Vox AC4 TV 4 watt, all tube amp, switchable to 1 watt, 10" speaker sounds pretty good to my ears, especially with the H 535 - it's like they were made for each other.

Katy, what p'ups do you have in your 535

My local GC has a Mustang III for $200. I seriously considered it. Keep in mind, with the band, I'm not very loud. In fact, I used the Blues Jr one last time last night before shipping it today. I had the master volume at 3. With my pedals and the small space the band rehearses in, there isn't a problem using a low wattage combo.

My old Fender Superchamp XD also worked well...

Doing a price check this morning, there were several options... Found a few Mustang 1's for $60, a few Mustang II's for $120. Even found a Gretta for $120. (Not the amp I want, but it looks so cool!)

Guest HRB853370

The DR is a great grab and go amp. You had an RD Josh, and it bewilders me still, why you sold it to bluenote. Light in weight, not a big cab and great tone. I would have bought yours had it not been that dang Clemson orange color.

Of course the DR is way out of your specified budget.

They're made by a guy in Florida. They're called High Order A-2 pickups. I don't know too much about them, but I believe they're low output, articulate.

They're made by a guy in Florida. They're called High Order A-2 pickups. I don't know too much about them, but I believe they're low output, articulate.

Sorry, to avoid confusion, the above is in response to Kip's query about what pups I have in my 535.

It depends a lot on the band, the venue and the level of distortion you want. I have a Pro Junior that is small, simple and can be very loud. That's my main issue with it, in fact. It's non master volume, so it never gets anywhere near its "sweet spot" at home. Still, it's an option, and I've seen them priced at around $265 used.

If you're okay with solid state, the Vox Pathfinder 15R is an astoundingly good amp for the price. I think they were recently discontinued or production is changing, but they should still be around. Unless someone is boosting the price, your $200 budget could almost get you a pair of them. This is the amp I have beside the nightstand. I think it works best either clean or at the slight Voxish breakup, so if you're looking for a high gain sound you probably won't care for it.

There are also the Roland Cubes, which are pretty nice, as well as the Tech 21 Trademark 30 and Fender Mustangs, among others. I bought a Tech 21 Trademark 10 off eBay a few years ago, but it arrived and far worse condition than described and never quite worked right. When it did work, it sounded nice, which just made it more disappointing when it didn't. I haven't had a chance to try a Mustang.

Orange has some interesting looking amps, both tube and SS, but I haven't tried any. The Vox AC4s look cool, too, but ditto.

If you or anyone is looking to expand the budget to, say, the $400-$750 range, there are a few people who will build you a hand-wired amp. Lil' Dawg Amps is an example. I haven't bought one from him, but I'm currently waiting on a Champ / 5F1 based amp from another independent builder (he doesn't have a website).

Now for another option from my audio engineering past: I found that a mic, and especially an inexpensive Shure SM57, was the great equalizer. If you're in a situation where your amp can be miced, a small amp with a 57 will work wonders.

Finally, I'll mention that Bad Cat has recently released an attenuator / re-amplifier called the Unleashed. Granted, it's close to double the $200 budget, but it looks like it can change about everything. If it works as well as described, a 5 watt head and a decent cab would be capable of playing anywhere, from attenuated down to apartment levels or boosted to 100 watts.

Tech21 Trademark 30 might float your boat. Not sure on used pricing, but might meet your spec given their new price.

+1 Had one for a while. Used it in all sorts of venues, including outside. Lotta bang for the buck. Gitfiddler has endorsed 'em as well!

Guest HRB853370

For $135 after tax and shipping, plus a one year warranty, I just purchased a used Fender Mustang II out of the GC in South Chicago.

This is what I would have recommended if you could find one locally to avoid shipping. They are designed AND made in the USA. They can take a beating. You dont have all those fancy knicknacks like the Mustang 2 but if you just want reverb and a nice dirty channel with a transtube circuit, these are hard to beat. Only thing is, I know you are not thrilled with Peavey.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Peavey-Express-112-/151005032251?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item232899ef3b

At the risk of sounding like a broken record....

If you just want something you can crank up without waking the family or blowing out your bandmates eardrums at practice, just get a decent attenuator to use with your new amp.

Guest HRB853370

At the risk of sounding like a broken record....

If you just want something you can crank up without waking the family or blowing out your bandmates eardrums at practice, just get a decent attenuator to use with your new amp.

Or save the money and just lower the volume!

Or save the money and just lower the volume!

Not all tube amps work well that way. They sound better when they have reached their "sweet spot". Attenuators help you reach the tube sweet spot before it hits the driver (the speaker). The only major downfall is in some cases that speaker helps with the favorable tone. I would invest in such a device however, buying the small practice amp is doing a few things for me... Providing a low volume practice amp for home, less gear to haul to practice as I won't need my pedal board, and a backup amp for gigs...

Y

Not all tube amps work well that way. They sound better when they have reached their "sweet spot". Attenuators help you reach the tube sweet spot before it hits the driver (the speaker). The only major downfall is in some cases that speaker helps with the favorable tone. I would invest in such a device however, buying the small practice amp is doing a few things for me... Providing a low volume practice amp for home, less gear to haul to practice as I won't need my pedal board, and a backup amp for gigs...

You need to listen with your own ears.

The Alex, or Ultimate, or even a Dr. Z Brake Lite like I have are damn transparent. I know the Alex has additional circuitry to mimic the inductive impedence speakers produce as they're driven harder. It also provides a knob to dial in more high end on the highly attenuated settings.

I really don't think you'd hear a iota of difference due to loss of speaker coloration. If the amp sounds good, it'll still sound good.

... That Bugera V5, with a headphone jack, seems like a great idea if you went that route... Sure you want it to sound nice, but a lot of little amps can sound pleasing while not replicating your "live sound"

+1k !

The Bugera V5 is truly amazing !

It'd be nice if it were a 10" or 12" and perhaps if it had a true spring reverb, but still, it's a very nice piece of kit for the price.

Seems like many discount it soley because it is <$150... that's a mistake.

Sometimes it's better to saddle a Gift Horse than to stare it in the mouth...

cheers!

Jim

+1k !

It'd be nice if it were a 10" or 12" and perhaps if it had a true spring reverb, but still, it's a very nice piece of kit for the price.

cheers!

Jim

I bet it could be converted into a head cab....

Guest HRB853370

+1k !

cheers!

Jim

I wish mine would get here. But not for another month, so says Amazon.

Archived