Heritage Owners Club

Grab and Go Amps

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Roland Cube - they come in enough sizes and power ratings, that you can pick whatever is most applicable to your situation. And there are tons of used ones out there.

Roland Cube - they come in enough sizes and power ratings, that you can pick whatever is most applicable to your situation. And there are tons of used ones out there.

I was finally sold on the Mustang 2 after seeing these videos...

I bet it could be converted into a head cab....

It will drive an external cab up to 12" and sounds good. It has a direct ¼" socket on the back - min. 4 Ω rating.

cheers!

Jim

For $139 I've been using what is called a Starcaster 25R amp (made in Indonesia by FMIC).

These are basically a Frontman 25R but rebadged so stores that don't carry the Fender line can sell them.

Basic good BF Fender tones when clean (think Princeton).

Loud enough if the drummer is not slugging it out with 5B's.

Also gets a fizzy distortion sound that can actually sound good if dialed in with low-output pickups (Strat).

The reverb is boingy, but real springs.

I sometimes use two of these with a stereo processor (all the sounds come from the box anyways).

I'm also a fan of Tech 21. My TM 60's have been war horses.

My Fender Mustang II is waiting for me at home... Really sucks though, can't use it for a bit. It's "unplugged" week for my son, so no electronics until he goes to bed all week.... Thankfully it has a headphone jack!

What's that all about?

Every school year, the schools try to encourage kids to entertain themselves without the need for anything electronic.... So they created an unplugged week. Nothing electrical to entertain. No TV, no video games, no iPod or iPad, and no radio. Books and board games all week.

"Unplugged week", What a great idea.

The power went out on one of our jam nights, so we pulled out acoustics and played on. It was great fun, but we haven't done it since. Time to suggest more unplugged sessions.

If the object of an unplugged week is to demonstrate that life without electrical diversions can still be interesting -and DB feels obliged to set an example, then I applaud his sacrifice.

I wonder if that also includes garbage disposals, dishwashers, washing machines, and power tools. If so, it could be a very long week.

Of course it counts! My Dot has a nice acoustical sound to it!

For sure! but just to clarify, what I meant is why can't your son be playing musical instruments that don't require electricity. I think its a great demonstration. Get a cheap uke or a mando for him to mess around with for that one week a month, or your ibanez. Teach him a 12 bar pattern in the first position, then when the lights are allowed back on, you can solo over his rhythm parts. NOW you're cookin'

Does sound like a great habit. Really glad to hear it being promoted!

A small setup that worked well for me for a while is a Traynor Darkhorse 15 watt tube amp with 6V6s + one little Vox 110NT 10" cab. The 6V6s in that sound great, especially if you like a bit of breakup.

Weighed together they weigh less than a Fender Princeton and you can have the amp over your shoulder while carrying the small cab in your hand.

For sure! but just to clarify, what I meant is why can't your son be playing musical instruments that don't require electricity. I think its a great demonstration. Get a cheap uke or a mando for him to mess around with for that one week a month, or your ibanez. Teach him a 12 bar pattern in the first position, then when the lights are allowed back on, you can solo over his rhythm parts. NOW you're cookin'

Does sound like a great habit. Really glad to hear it being promoted!

he started to play about a year ago, but he really lost interest in it. Bought him a practice pad and sticks for Christmas.... It's been laying on a 1x12 cab ever since, untouched. He enjoys reading, so he's been catching up with that and his multiplication tables this week.

he started to play about a year ago, but he really lost interest in it. Bought him a practice pad and sticks for Christmas.... It's been laying on a 1x12 cab ever since, untouched. He enjoys reading, so he's been catching up with that and his multiplication tables this week.

Excellent!

My mother pestered me to check out library books during summer vacations. I learned to love reading therefore, and that has helped me SO MUCH for my whole life (so far). There is really a big advantage to being a good reader, and mathmatics can pay BIG dividends in today's world. Good on ya dad.

• 2 weeks later...

I spent way too much time messing with the amps Fuse software. I was using the amp briefly yesterday for studio work. Needless to say, I didn't get a tone I liked. I used my iPad instead and the tones were great. I'm going to return this amp and buy a Fender Excelsior instead....

He enjoys reading, so he's been catching up with that....

Excellent!

My mother pestered me to check out library books during summer vacations. I learned to love reading therefore, and that has helped me SO MUCH for my whole life (so far). There is really a big advantage to being a good reader....

Grades go up; grades go down. Being a kid is all about "the experiments," quests, and being pretty inconsistent. But in thirty-one years of teaching high school English, I never worried about any kid, no matter what was going on, who consistently read. Didn't even matter what the books were. If I ever caught a kid reading in my class, I'd let it go, assuming I wasn't doing a good enough job, and that I'd try to be better than that book, tomorrow.

Archived