Heritage Owners Club

Amp for H535

Here's a novice question:

What's the best amp to use with an H535 to get that creamy, thick blues tone?

jackmusic

Um...probably a Dumble Overdrive...if you've got a spare $20k lying around.

But seriously, there are many great amps to fill the bill. To answer your question, we need your price range and other specifics that appeal to you.

Some players like American toned Fender-ish amps and others go for more British Marshall tones.

Don't get me started on the current influx of fabulous boutique amps available these days.

Give us more info and you'll get responses that might help narrow your choices. And welcome to the HOC, Jackmusic!!

Guest HRB853370

jackmusic

Any tube amp will do!! Most of these boutique amps are way overpriced for what they deliver. You can buy a nice Peavey tube amp for around $500-$600 or if you want Fender a little more.

For that kind of tone a Dumble clone from Ceriatone would work, the real ones start at 50k, not 20. The Ceriatone boutique stuff is well priced for what it is. With that said, there are some good deals out there in vintage amps. Stay away from so called reissue models, get the real deal or not at all. The reissue stuff is tough to repair, often breaks down more than the old stuff, and fails to give up the tonal goods. Take some time to read up and don't be in a hurry to get your wallet out. Don't believe everything you hear from salespersons in a music store. You don't want to end up with lowest price price point driven store bought Chinese made tone anyway, you're playing a boutique guitar that deserves more. And don't be surprised if there is some change in your head over time as to what your tones ought to sound like. So you might wish for more than one amp or guitar at a later time, or to sell equipment to fund future purchases...or collect vintage tubes, speakers, and books on amp building, learn to build and or mod/repair your own amps, some of us do that.

The men and women who are here are often rather, ah, enabling in their personalities, lots of gear and guitars can be had for great deals. Lots of encouragement here for new (to you) gear.

It's not the amp, it's not the guitar. It's the person playing. I bet you could coax a good "blues tone" out of a Fender Mustang if you tried. I will agree, tho', you don't need to spend $$$$$$$.$$s to get a good amp. Nor do you need a lot of watts. I play nearly every weekend with a 15w Mesa Trans Atlantic, 112 cab. I do prefer the tube amp option, tho'.

jackmusic

that's a pretty broad question...what is your budget and can you give specific examples of songs/players you like?

top of my head though, for reasonable $$:

a small silverface fender like a vibrolux or a deluxe, and get a pedal if you want to "goose" it a little.

My H555 I used to own sounded heavenly through my Swart STR.

Now it sounds great through a Carr slant 6v, a marshall dsl, a sound city 120, and a franken champ!

And there you go!

jackmusic

If it were me, I'd go try a bunch and buy the one I like best..

Guest HRB853370

Contrary what some purists may say, there is nothing wrong with Fender Reissues. I have had 4 of them for over 15 years with not a single issue. That is not to say it would not happen, anything can happen. And in a blindfold test I will put any of them up against the original handwired versions.

Hey everyone who posted: thanks for the advice. I was thinking in the $500-$1000 range. If I pay $20,000 my wife will murder me with the H 535!! I've never had a tube amp, just Fender Princeton 65 solid state, Peavey Backstage Chorus 208, and a Roland Cube40. It always seems that I want something more in terms of tone. Huge volume is not a requirement, but tone and sustain is. I think I should probably take my guitar to a big guitar store and start playing some tube amps. Any other advice gratefully received.

Hey everyone who posted: thanks for the advice. I was thinking in the $500-$1000 range. If I pay $20,000 my wife will murder me with the H 535!! I've never had a tube amp, just Fender Princeton 65 solid state, Peavey Backstage Chorus 208, and a Roland Cube40. It always seems that I want something more in terms of tone. Huge volume is not a requirement, but tone and sustain is. I think I should probably take my guitar to a big guitar store and start playing some tube amps. Any other advice gratefully received.

New tube amp to play with your sweet H535: $500-1000

Buying a $20k Dumble and getting beat to death with that H535 by your sweetie: Priceless

Seriously, I'd look for a good Fender or Marshall point to point wired clone. You can certainly find them in the $500-1K price range. I'm partial to Deluxe Reverbs, Tweed Deluxes, Princetons, and Twins. If built with quality components they can sound as good as $2,500 - $10,000 vintage ones. And since they're built from common circuits they're servicable by any skilled amp tech.

New tube amp to play with your sweet H535: $500-1000

Buying a $20k Dumble and getting beat to death with that H535 by your sweetie: Priceless

Seriously, I'd look for a good Fender or Marshall point to point wired clone. You can certainly find them in the $500-1K price range. I'm partial to Deluxe Reverbs, Tweed Deluxes, Princetons, and Twins. If built with quality components they can sound as good as $2,500 - $10,000 vintage ones. And since they're built from common circuits they're servicable by any skilled amp tech.

YES! Exactly put!

Mine sounds pretty good through a Peavey Classic 30.

Of course, it depends on what kind of sound you're looking for. Seems like that guitar/amp combo is pretty versatile.

• 2 weeks later...

I stumble across a 535 at a music store and played it through a Fender Blues Jr. It blew my mind. I bought a 535 soon after and still need to get the Blues Jr. However, I do have a DRRI so it's close.

It's not the amp, it's not the guitar. It's the person playing.

We hear this a lot. The problem is this, of the three variables, (guitar, amp, person), the only consistent variable is the person. Therefore if you want to modify your tone but not change your playing style you'd change the guitar or the amp. so, it is the guitar and the amp and both of these have an enormous impact on the tone.

Archived