Heritage Owners Club

Just stopped in Guitar Center

paul144

just to look around. Tried out the PRS Mira. Wanted to like it, (I'm on an SG kick) but it had no soul. And 24 the frets kinda freaked me out, it was like there was another neck's worth of space to play on. Pretty useless for me. So I grab a SG Standard, and I quickly remembered why I don't like them. The neck immediately dove to the floor whenever I let go of it (playing sitting down). Next up was a 59 RI Les Paul. The fretboard was dry, action high, and no way I'd pay $4500 for it. Back to the rack. Tried the PRS SE Singlecut, very cheap feel to it.

Picked up a Les Paul Standard and that left me with nothing either. The neck was very clubby.

If they offered me any guitar in that store for half price, I still would have walked out empty handed.

So I come home &  crank up my H-150 Goldtop, 'cause it just don't get any better than that. Heritages just seem to have the mojo over all the Gibsons & PRSi hanging on the racks around here. The neck on mine is freakin' perfect. Not slim, but a little girth to it, but not a baseball bat like an R7 either.

Its a lifetime keeper.

I have only had my H535 for two days but I can tell it's a very well made guitar that will stay for awhile. I had an 06 Gibson 335 for about 5 months before I foolishly traded it for a Bogner Shiva head with EL34s. That trade turned out to be another in my long list of bad decisions.

I loved the Bogner when I first took delivery of it but after about a week, I decided that it just didn't have what I was looking for. Though I wish I still had the 335, I can honestly say that it would probably be put on the chopping block after seeing how great the Heritage is. I can say, without hesitation, that it is a better guitar than the Gibby. It's plays much nicer, it sounds completely different (in a good way) and it is better looking and better built. It almost seems like the Gibby was made in a rush. Don't get me wrong, ES335 are extraordinary guitars but I would rather pay half the price for an equally good, if not better in some respects, H535.

"ES335 are extraordinary guitars but I would rather pay half the price for an equally good, if not better in some respects, H535."

Personally, I don't think the new ES335s are extraorindinary guitars at all. And again (sorry a morj sticking point with me) the cost of a Heritage guitar if it is more or less than any other companies guitars is irrelevant. I have 7 Heritage guitars because they are just plain better for me at any price. I think in all aspects my 555s kick anything made in Nashville (Gibby) including their custom shop.

I'm not trying to come off as a hard ass or to flame you, I'm glad you love your 535 and we have another convert!

BTW, I have a Shiva (changed the preamp tubes to lower output ones) and absolutely love the Billy Gibbons tones it has. There doesn't seem to be to much Shiva love around here??!!!

The fact that a Heritage is half the price of Gibson all the while being as good if not better is pretty relevant to me. If my H535 and the ES335 were both priced the same, I would pick the H535 hands down. The fact that I think the ES335 is an extraordinary guitar is an opinion that I guess we don't agree on.

I have to agree with you guy's.  I have several guitars but I am slowly selling them and replacing them with Heritage.  I was actually thinking of a 535 which is a huge difference coming from a " Heavy Metal " back round. I guess I'm getting old :( ha ha

Yeah but who in their right mind would give one up  :P

i have seen at least 6 used Heritages in my local GC....i bought 1 of them, should have bought 3 of them!!!

i have seen...

1.  '88 STAT cherry burst

2.  '00 MILLY DC semi hollow HRWs & bigsby trans black

3.  '04 Roy Clark nat.

4.  '02 Gold H 170

5.  '02 535 almond burst

6.  '99 Sweet 16 Nat.

Paul144~  I'm with ya, man.  I stopped into a GC during a business trip in Phoenix last year and walked out with a used H-150 Ultra, with Graphtec bridge saddles and HRW's.  Man, ain't nothin like a cranked HRW gitfiddle through a Boogie Mk IV!

width=320 height=480http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/2783/heritageh150frontqt5.jpg[/img]

Guitar Center. Home of the massive black-metal monster. Relentless in his persuit... tenacious in his continuous assault.

"Will you be buying that amp today?" No... I'm just checking it out.  "Its a great amp isn't it?" I'm not sure yet (It was a Crate FXT or something). "Would you like to apply for a G.C. credit card?"  Ah... no.... thanks.

Then he just stands there staring at you while you nervously change presets or channels. Ever try to check out an amp with a Massive Black Metal Monster leering at you? Forget it brother... can't be done.

Wait... whats that? The predator seems to have spotted a young boy and his mom walk in.

Indeed, he is distracted by the arrival of easy prey, thank God. He smells blood and quickly moves away from me... safe! 

But only for the moment......

You forgot the part when they say... I have that exact same guitar/amp at home.

Or the part where they say "let me check your bag to make sure you haven't put anything else in there other than that set of strings you just paid for at the counter"

Or the part where they say "let me check your bag to make sure you haven't put anything else in there other than that set of strings you just paid for at the counter"

that pisses me off too >:(

Wow, that's never happened to me. That's crazy. You can bet it wouldn't happen twice.

Oh Yeah,

They do that big time here in L.A. Sam Ass does it too. You go in, buy a bunch of stuff, dopehead kid rings it up and bags it, you have to go up front to pay. They are so good at it one time I bought a bunch of strings, a couple leads and some other odds and ends that I needed and they charged me for stuff that they DIDN'T put in the bag and then they neglected to notice that I paid for stuff they DIDN'T give me. Let's just say that store doesn't get any money out of me and I have not gone back. I get all my stuff from a local guitar store I was finally able to find with a cool owner. He isn't going to get you the best deal on everything, but he knows what stuff goes for and will make comparable.

Support your local privately owned and operated music store. They don't treat you like a criminal, they usually know what they are talking about, they stock beginner crap and good stuff, as opposed to all beginner crap.

Oh Yeah,

I get all my stuff from a local guitar store I was finally able to find with a cool owner. He isn't going to get you the best deal on everything, but he knows what stuff goes for and will make comparable.

Support your local privately owned and operated music store. They don't treat you like a criminal, they usually know what they are talking about, they stock beginner crap and good stuff, as opposed to all beginner crap.

Here, here, Drew!  Can't reiterate this enough!  I've received enough "good will,"  -- the small but meaningful freebies, fixing something on short notice for my gig tonight -- to more than make up for the higher prices they have to charge.

Got to give a plug for my local store - Steilberg String Instruments, Louisville, KY.

I moved in down the street from them 8 years ago and had them do a setup on my Taylor that I had bought in Atlanta when I lived there.  They treated me like I bought it from them and really improved that guitar, made it very much my baby!  Since then, I'd go in and pester them and buy strings, go to workshops and stuff but never bought any guitars from them and felt kinda bad.  What the heck, I already had a Taylor and they're not a Martin dealer and I was into that at one time.  (sold all the Martins, still have the Taylor!)

When I got my sights set on an ES335 and thought about ordering a custom from Nashville I stumbled onto Heritage.  I remember seeing that name at Steilberg's but didn't know anything about it.  The peg head made me think it must be a jap knock-off or something, boy was I mis-informed and stupid.  Anyway, decided to check on a 535 and clicked on dealers on the Heritage web site...  Guess who the only KY dealer was? 

These guys are great and will treat you right.  I ordered my 535 from them, it's here and they're doing a complete setup for me to get it to their standards and my preferences.  Supposed to be finished this weekend so I hope they call before they close today, I'm ready!  Pics coming soon.

They have a couple Heritages in stock...  They brought the 535 back from NAMM and it helped me decide to order mine, it's real nice.  The Sweet 16 is real nice too, heck of a deal for a retail purchase (they've posted a list price or something, the hang-tag at the store is less.

http://store.stringinstruments.com/pm-488-...5-osb-whsc.aspx

http://store.stringinstruments.com/pm-388-...d-sunburst.aspx

You forgot the part when they say... I have that exact same guitar/amp at home.

;D confession: Ive said that many times. Its never been bull shite either. But when your all enthused about a guitar or amp ya just got to share it.

I worked on construction sites for years. Id buy a guitar or amp, be all excited and would tell my work mates. Nothing. Did not compute with them. Zilch and flat response.

Occasionally Id find someone else to talk about gear with, not often.

After a work related injury which prevents me going back to that industry, I was given a part time job in a guitar store till I figured out what I was going to do for a real job.

All day I talk to people about gear. They tell me what strings they like what strings they dont like. What guitars they have/had over a 30yr period. Why such and such is a good/bad cable. What amps they have, what tubes they prefer, how most stores are useless because we dont stock the pick they like etc etc.

All of it without prompting from me. I love guitar gear and will listen. Their work mates probably dont give a rats.

If I like something, Im going to say so. If its something I own and gig with, Im going to share. If its the little known brand, "Heritage",then doubly so.

Chances are the guys/girls that say "I have that exact same guitar/amp at home." actually do. Its surprising what gear you end up accumulating after working in one of these places for a while.

Archived