Heritage Owners Club

H-535 jazz

jazzam

Depends what you call "jazz". (IMHO) Larry Carleton and Lee Ritenour (I like both of these guys a LOT) both play 535's for that pop jazz sound. Ritenour switches off to a deeper, hollow body guitar when he's doing the Wes Montgomery thing, but in my limited opinion, a 535 (I've owned 2) will do quite nicely for more modern/pop/contemporary jazz. (BTW: I've seen Carleton switch to a Les Paul Gold Top quite a bit and a Strat for some songs.) It's in the fingers.

Jay Wolfe help design the H525 and he is Primarily a Jazz player. You should call his at his shop.

(561) 746-2209 He will be more then happy to answer all your questions.

H525 Specifications

24 3/4” scale

Neck : 17 degree peghead pitch; one-piece mahogany neck joins the body at the 15th fret.

Fingerboard : 20 fret dot rosewood fingerboard.

Body : Single cutaway, Laminated cream bound curly maple top and back, hollow body with solid maple rim.

Body Size :

Rim Thickness – 1 5/8”
Body Width – 16" with 2 1/4" rim
Body Length - 20 1/4"

Electronics : Two Lollar Dog-eared P-90 pickups.

Thank you all for your input. I just have one more question.

Would a 525 be a better option, and what are the basic

differences between the two?

What do you mean by 'better'? Not being coy. Honestly asking.

What are your jazz goals?

What kind of tone are you looking for?

Are you playing with some volume or do you play fairly low volume?

All kinds of questions to be answered. Otherwise, I'd say either of the two guitars you mentioned would work wonderfully.

Our very own Matt Ingeneri performs jazz with a 525.

Guest HRB853370

Is a 535 considered to be a quality jazz box?

I have a 535 and a 525. To me the 535 is not as woody sounding as a larger box such as the 525 or 550. But heck, you can play jazz on anything, even a uke!

There is a 525 on "The Bay" right now, but it's left handed. It looks great and would be a guitar to get interested in. Those single coils in a hollow body guitar really interest me. Wish I could get my hands on one to try!

Also, I watched the attached clips and am amazed at how well some people play. Great vids guys.

Is a 535 considered to be a quality jazz box?

Absolutely. My sister's boyfriend accompained her while she was up from Florida to see me earlier this week.

He is a music professor in one of the colleges in Florida and he is classicly trained in guitar and specializes in Jazz (to the best of my understanding).

He really liked my VSB H150 Special but before he went back home, I wanted to make sure he tried the 535 I just got recently.

We plugged it into the clean chanel of my VOX AC15 Custom and tweaked the tone settings on the amp and the guitar.

Wow! It all sounded really good while he played!

His enthusiam became quite visibly evident and said that the guitar sounded great and felt really good to play. He also remarked that if he had this guitar, he would play it every day and that the guitars he was accustomed to had a much thicker neck than this particular 535.

Archived