Heritage Owners Club

Vocal Reverb - on stage solution?

kidsmoke

Is there a way that a vocalist could control reverb on stage in a live situation? For pro's with a dedicated sound guy, the guy knows the set, and the different settings for different tunes. Not so for us little guys rolling into a tavern. Shield your eyes and peer back to the board, only to find that its cigarette break, or bathroom break, or the guy is schmoozing the hippie chic who's swirling away in front of the board....

So if you had that 'verb heavy tune come along...what's an onstage solution that the vocalist himself could employ?

One idea I had was to use a quality acoustic amp as a vocal DI box, and have the ability to add whatever onboard effects are available on the amp (most have an XLR mic input with reverb, and sometimes other effects). Position the amp like a monitor, and control the effects there, but leave the output level stationary, for the sound guy to manage house levels.

Thoughts? Suggestions? alternatives?

I'll be the lead singer for an evening of Pink Floyd. We're doing Meddle in its entirety, followed by Wish You Were Here in its entirety. There will be occasions where adjustments could stand to be made.

Keep in mind, I'm no too long in the tooth from a sound engineer standpoint...so speak english!

The singer in the band I was in tried a couple of things for a while. Some digitech floor thing that she had presets stored in and then a couple of stomps, a delay and a reverb that she would tweak on the fly. She got some good things happening with the stomps but basically got bored with the idea after a while and just sang through with out bothering.

If you have a desk with built in fx you could get the person(band member) closest to it to turn the verb up on the parts the singer wants it.

The singer in the band I was in tried a couple of things for a while. Some digitech floor thing that she had presets stored in and then a couple of stomps, a delay and a reverb that she would tweak on the fly. She got some good things happening with the stomps but basically got bored with the idea after a while and just sang through with out bothering.

If you have a desk with built in fx you could get the person(band member) closest to it to turn the verb up on the parts the singer wants it.

I've imagined such a thing, but haven't seen one. This venue is actually a well established music venue, with a proper board in the front of the house. so the band member idea won't work. And the guy we get may be stellar...I guess I'm just assuming the worst. Echoes and Fearless would be tough to make sound GREAT without 'verb

I think it was a digitech vocalist live or something. It wasnt really made for the job she wanted but had xlr out and some on board fx. She used my boss dd7 and a digitech hardwire reverb with more success.

A guy I work with uses a DD7 for some control over his vocals in his original band. Even when they have full festival gig sound.

Its probably technically not the right thing to do.

Guest HRB853370

Is there a way that a vocalist could control reverb on stage in a live situation? For pro's with a dedicated sound guy, the guy knows the set, and the different settings for different tunes. Not so for us little guys rolling into a tavern. Shield your eyes and peer back to the board, only to find that its cigarette break, or bathroom break, or the guy is schmoozing the hippie chic who's swirling away in front of the board....

So if you had that 'verb heavy tune come along...what's an onstage solution that the vocalist himself could employ?

One idea I had was to use a quality acoustic amp as a vocal DI box, and have the ability to add whatever onboard effects are available on the amp (most have an XLR mic input with reverb, and sometimes other effects). Position the amp like a monitor, and control the effects there, but leave the output level stationary, for the sound guy to manage house levels.

Thoughts? Suggestions? alternatives?

I'll be the lead singer for an evening of Pink Floyd. We're doing Meddle in its entirety, followed by Wish You Were Here in its entirety. There will be occasions where adjustments could stand to be made.

Keep in mind, I'm no too long in the tooth from a sound engineer standpoint...so speak english!

Who is playing the Gilmour parts? Man, did not know you sang either!

I use a Digitech Vocalist Live 4. I find it extremely helpful and handy.

• Selectable voicing: unison, 3rd, 5th-above or below your lead vocal
  • Built-in mixer with Vocal, Harmony and Guitar level controls
  • Pitch correction with four adjustable parameters
  • Guitar Reverb and Chorus with four adjustable parameters
  • Vocal enhancement effects matrix lets you adjust up to five parameters of Preamp, Compressor/Gate, EQ, Lead Effects, Harmony, Reverb, Echo Delay and Guitar effects
  • Store and recall up to 50 User presets; and select from 50 Factory presets
  • In-line tuner
  • And a bunch more stuff I don't or rarely use

Who is playing the Gilmour parts? Man, did not know you sang either!

We're a six piece act. 1 vox, 2 gtr, bass, keys, drums. Not trying to be "beatlemania", just going for a quality performance. Part of what's cool, I only know the bassist...none of these other guys. But they're all gigging Chicago guys, so it should be a lot of fun. In all honesty, with very little exception, the vocal is the least demanding role in this set. Shine and Echoes comprises 80% ofthe evening, and neither have much in the way of vocals. Fearless and Wish you were here, both well known ballads, are not terribly challenging vocally. Have a cigar brings it on a bit more.

Vocals has been my thing since youth. I only began adding guitar a decade ago.

I use a Digitech Vocalist Live 4. I find it extremely helpful and handy.

• Selectable voicing: unison, 3rd, 5th-above or below your lead vocal
  • Built-in mixer with Vocal, Harmony and Guitar level controls
  • Pitch correction with four adjustable parameters
  • Guitar Reverb and Chorus with four adjustable parameters
  • Vocal enhancement effects matrix lets you adjust up to five parameters of Preamp, Compressor/Gate, EQ, Lead Effects, Harmony, Reverb, Echo Delay and Guitar effects
  • Store and recall up to 50 User presets; and select from 50 Factory presets
  • In-line tuner
  • And a bunch more stuff I don't or rarely use

Wow, that's quite an item. A lot going on there. Tulk, that Mic Mechanic is pretty cool as well, I'd seen that and considered it. I received some council which made a lot of sense and has me reconsidering this. I've run sound, as most of you have. And the most frustrating thing is when there is sound in the house going bad and you have no control over it, as the sound egr. It's conceivable I could create more problems than I solve by adding effects from he stage, unless I get the egr to leave my signal dry. This dude SHOULD be pretty on his game...given the venue

http://www.martyrslive.com/tech

Archived