Heritage Owners Club

Where do you choke your ....................amp!

big bob

Funny topic .

But really, where do you choke your amp. My amp has no master volume for the clean side, so I bought a volume pedal to help with volume/loudness. I have the volume pedal between the amp and my pedal board and as such works well to control volume as it relates to loudness not tone. With it set up this way I have several options. I'm not sure which works best. So I thought I would solicit opinions from the gallery.

Option 1, set the volume on the amp at 6 (12:00 ) which is really loud on my amp and choke with the volume pedal? This works well but I feel I'm just barely engaging the pedal thus cleaning up the signal a little.

Or option 2

Setting the volume on the amp at just louder than I want ( around 2/3 or about 7:00) and backing off on the volume pedal just a little. This lets the signal run into the amp nice and gritty, I feel this filters off the brightness and makes it harder to cut through the mix.

I guess ideally I would run the volume pedal through the fx loop. That's a whole lot of cable.. And probably signal loss.

How do you guys work it.

Big Bob! This is a perfect opportunity to buy a new amp that has a master volume! Quit wasting your time with a sissy pedal when you can buy a whole new amp!

But he like his Sunn amp. We do live in the sunshine state.

Bob, we have talk about this many times. You need an attenuator. Let me know when we can get together and I will lend you mine. Maybe when Kip comes to Florida. call me

Start an amp collection.

+1!

Hardwire guitar to Vol Pedal, wireless to your FX Loop. I can also make you a 50' GT-Cable to hardwire to your amp...

Edit:

If you choke your amp, don't twist the chicken-head knobs...

But he like his Sunn amp. We do live in the sunshine state.

Bob, we have talk about this many times. You need an attenuator. Let me know when we can get together and I will lend you mine. Maybe when Kip comes to Florida. call me

I couldn't resist the opportunity to give him a friendly jab using his own argument he said to me once. :laughing7:

I couldn't resist the opportunity to give him a friendly jab using his own argument he said to me once. :laughing7:

I tried that argument with the wife, she pointed out that the lead channel had a master volume and that I should

stop whining like a child.

Bill, I like the volume pedal as solution. It allows me to have a nice volume no matter what the band is doing and never miss a note.

I'm just wondering how other folks choke theirs.

I tried that argument with the wife, she pointed out that the lead channel had a master volume and that I should

stop whining like a child.

That's not so bad. My wife came downstairs in a sexy teddy, saying she was ready for a night of rough sex and asked me," When are you leaving to play cards with the guys"?!

Here's what I generally do.

Set the amp for my lead volume with pots dimed, vol pedal maxed. Back off the pots and vol pedal to reach my Rhythm level. That then leaves me room to dime the vol on the guitar when I don't want to be that far out front with a lead lick or fill. Then I always have the pedal for getting up front come lead solo time. It also works the inverse for when I want that less than dimed sound for a fill, just pop the volume pedal up, leave the pickups alone. Very versatile set up for me. And I don't miss a master vol amp at all.

Big Bob! This is a perfect opportunity to buy a new amp that has a master volume! Quit wasting your time with a sissy pedal when you can buy a whole new amp!

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/V3M212

LOL.. If you cant do that, go with option 1.. Being able to cut thru the mix is really important!!

Archived