Heritage Owners Club

12ax7 - which new production?

fxdx99

V1 & V2 don't go cheap. Buy some used, but tested, 1950s or 1960s RCA 12AX7s (maybe $30 each). Again, for V3 & PI buy a used/tested RCA 12AT7. The other 12AX7 doesn't matter what you use, only Tremelo driver, no tone.

So if you go the above route you will have reliable preamp tubes and the best sounding tubes. I would consider it a 10 year investment in tone.

If you don't go RCA, then the only new tube I like is Tung Sol reissue 12AX7s. I can't stand JJs or Sovtek.

V1 & V2 don't go cheap. Buy some used, but tested, 1950s or 1960s RCA 12AX7s (maybe $30 each). Again, for V3 & PI buy a used/tested RCA 12AT7. The other 12AX7 doesn't matter what you use, only Tremelo driver, no tone.

So if you go the above route you will have reliable preamp tubes and the best sounding tubes. I would consider it a 10 year investment in tone.

If you don't go RCA, then the only new tube I like is Tung Sol reissue 12AX7s. I can't stand JJs or Sovtek.

I stayed with John, on the way to PSP. We did some A/B-ing of our Deluxes: John's a pristine '67 Deluxe, mine, a reissue Deluxe, with some new power tubes, bright cap snipped, and an Eminence Tonker, newly installed. We tried just about every combination of speakers to amps, power tubes, blah, blah, blah. Then we swaped one of his vintage 12AX's into V2, in my re-ish...and WOW! What a huge difference! I was amazed! Next day, on the drive to Kalamazoo, I called Dale, my amp guy, about vintage tubes. He said that when I returned, we would go "tube mining," in the filing cabinet which usually remains locked, in his shop. I took the amp in, and Dale and I switched out eight or nine vintage 12AX's, making notes about each. Finally settled on an old Sylvania, for V2. Dropped some relatively serious money on that tube, and worth every penny of it. Huge tone upgrade! Thanks, John....

Thanks gents. I've Tung Sols in it now and I've no complaints on it's voicing so may stick w/those. Looked on line at tested RCAs - near 50 each so need to ponder that one...

Swapped the power and rect tubes last nite after Sat's gig had the amp starting out sounding 'half power', then 'BAM' it came on mid song (during sound check so no biggie). Knew the power tubes were old/stressed, but didn't mind the voicing that gave (less bass, dirtier). Much better with new (JJs, 6v6).

Those were my spares, down to one 12ax7 in the box so need to place an order anyway - thought I'd get some more preamps while at it. Thanks for the feedback - appreciate it!

Tungsol's for 12ax7. NOS Philips 12at7 for the reverb driver and the Pi. Assuming you play through the reverb channel only the best sounding 12ax7 should be in 2 and 4 in that order. IMO.

Tungsol's for 12ax7. NOS Philips 12at7 for the reverb driver and the Pi. Assuming you play through the reverb channel only the best sounding 12ax7 should be in 2 and 4 in that order. IMO.

Bingo!! At best you only need to buy 2 RCA 12AX7s, V1 & V2. And possibly only V2 if you only use the Reverb channel. The tube in V1 will bleed over into the reverb channel when used, but V2 will be the most important tube when the reverb channel is used.

Bingo!! At best you only need to buy 2 RCA 12AX7s, V1 & V2. And possibly only V2 if you only use the Reverb channel. The tube in V1 will bleed over into the reverb channel when used, but V2 will be the most important tube when the reverb channel is used.

The Allen is single channel so I need to look at it's layout, but understand your point. I should ask this... have an on line reputable dealer for NOS I could look at?

I took the amp in, and Dale and I switched out eight or nine vintage 12AX's, making notes about each. Finally settled on an old Sylvania, for V2. Dropped some relatively serious money on that tube, and worth every penny of it. Huge tone upgrade! Thanks, John....

I like the NOS Sylvania 12AX7, 12AT7s and 5751's....

So, Daniel, were we separated at birth, or something...? We seem to have overlapped on a bunch of "Tone Quest" type stuff. Funny!

I stayed with John, on the way to PSP. We did some A/B-ing of our Deluxes: John's a pristine '67 Deluxe, mine, a reissue Deluxe, with some new power tubes, bright cap snipped, and an Eminence Tonker, newly installed. We tried just about every combination of speakers to amps, power tubes, blah, blah, blah. Then we swaped one of his vintage 12AX's into V2, in my re-ish...and WOW! What a huge difference! I was amazed! Next day, on the drive to Kalamazoo, I called Dale, my amp guy, about vintage tubes. He said that when I returned, we would go "tube mining," in the filing cabinet which usually remains locked, in his shop. I took the amp in, and Dale and I switched out eight or nine vintage 12AX's, making notes about each. Finally settled on an old Sylvania, for V2. Dropped some relatively serious money on that tube, and worth every penny of it. Huge tone upgrade! Thanks, John....

I like the NOS Sylvania 12AX7, 12AT7s and 5751's, and I like RCA 6V6's. That's what's currently in all of my 6V6 amps, and all of them sound great.

I don't think I have tried a Sylvania in quite a while, but LOVEs me some old RCA 12AX7s and RCA 12AT7s.

What difference did you two boys hear in the Sylvania over RCAs?

You know, John, I can't remember what I tried...eight or nine vintage tubes, and to be honest, I'm not sure there was an RCA...maybe one. What I liked about the Sylvania was how balanced and present it was in that amp. There were tubes which had better highs, lows, bite, grind, clarity...but the Sylvania just made the amp sound clearly better. It delivered a little bit of everything in equal measure. It had a kind of complex character...not to make it sound like a Cabernet.... As I think about it, seems that's where I've landed after all this time, all that gear.... I appreciate gear that delivers a variety of qualities, in balance, rather than a pile of different one-trick ponies.

What works well in one amp may not work in another. Most Sylvania's I see are the long grey plate version and I find them to be a bit on the bright side; especially in blackface Fenders. They can sometime do well in V4 as a reverb recovery tube or as a phase inverter in a Princeton Reverb. I have also found many long plate 12ax7's to be microphonic and more "scooped" in the mids, The exception would be the blackplate Raytheon which can be found relabeled as "Baldwin". These have yellow script writing and were supposed to have been screened for noise and microphonics for Baldwin Organs. You can find them as used pulls for about $20 each. Many of them saw little use in home organs and are still strong with plenty of life left.

I don't think I have tried a Sylvania in quite a while, but LOVEs me some old RCA 12AX7s and RCA 12AT7s.

What difference did you two boys hear in the Sylvania over RCAs?

I just A/B a bunch of NOS stuff I had lying around and the Sylvania preamp tubes always had the best balanced tone, and low noise.

Though I do tend to stick to RCA power tubes as they tend to take the higher voltages that my vintage Ampegs and Fenders through

at them.

Groove Tubes are just rebranded JJ, SovTek or Chinese tubes.

I actually like some of the newer power tubes but most new preamp tubes sound like a bee in a ball jar.

+2

didn't someone buy the Mullard name & start manufacturing new preamp tubes?

I hope it wasn't Mike Mathews, that was a dirty trick he did with Svetlana & =C=

*edit*

I just found this, looks to be interesting comparisons:

http://www.thetubestore.com/Resources/Product-Reviews/12AX7-Tube-Review

That is a review of the guy selling those tubes. Helpful, yes.... but biased (no pun intended)!!

Good Deal.. A friend put some old RCA blackplates in my Gibsonette.. They were spendy, but worth it!!

That is a review of the guy selling those tubes. Helpful, yes.... but biased (no pun intended)!!

ha, true....but I don't see many detailed reviews like that out there?

then again I haven't really looked....I'm off to google..."preamp tube comparisons for guitar amps"

Archived