Heritage Owners Club

Amp Dilemma

DetroitBlues

I don't know if you've ever checked out Blackstar, but here is a nice video showing the versatility of their 5 watt combo. Might be worth checking out craigslist for a used one locally. They're a good deal $ new, even better deal used since they're a new company and many people aren't familiar with them and the resale takes a big hit.

The 5watts is nice for small venues. For bigger stuff a mic is probably going to be necessary to get loud enough clean volume with drummer in play.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's face it, whatever you get will be the greatest thing since sliced bred..... And then in 72 days you will sell it !

They know you too well here, DB.

The more I look around, the more I'm lust after a Mesa low watt combo. There are several models with and without reverb that I think fill the nitsch you're looking to fill.

Subway Rocket

DC2

F30

Express 5:25

couple others that don't spring to mind at the moment...

I don't know if you've ever checked out Blackstar, but here is a nice video showing the versatility of their 5 watt combo. Might be worth checking out craigslist for a used one locally. They're a good deal $ new, even better deal used since they're a new company and many people aren't familiar with them and the resale takes a big hit.

The 5watts is nice for small venues. For bigger stuff a mic is probably going to be necessary to get loud enough clean volume with drummer in play.

Another prone to failure amp...

Of those you list, the AC 15 and the Heritage stand out ( the AC 30 does too but I have that covered). I don't know any blues players that use Vox - there's probably a reason for that. I bet that Heritage is a righteous, pedal friendly amp. Have you tried borrowing / renting it?

I've tried it, but it's really more amp then I'd need. There was a Heritage 22 watt amp I'd consider, but nearly impossible to find...

that's why I bought The 68 Princeton Custom.. Yes it's made in Mexico, but I like the fact I can carry it, it sounds great, and it takes pedals well.. My 2 Cents.. :)

the 15 watt Gibson goldtones from about 10 years ago are very good & will certainly cut through in a gig situation... check the guitar denter used site they usually have a couple at any given time.

the GA-15rvs also has a nice reverb unit as well

I've tried it, but it's really more amp then I'd need. There was a Heritage 22 watt amp I'd consider, but nearly impossible to find...

If ever there was a guy that could use an attenuator, DB....you're him!

that's why I bought The 68 Princeton Custom.. Yes it's made in Mexico, but I like the fact I can carry it, it sounds great, and it takes pedals well.. My 2 Cents.. :)

another EXCELLENT choice! :icon_thumleft:

If ever there was a guy that could use an attenuator, DB....you're him!

yes, but he had a bassman that he loved, but eventually it was too heavy for him.

Another couple of amps that are in the right volume and sonic territory are the Blackstar Artisan 15 and 30 models. Hand-wired tube amps with excellent build quality which can do Fender, Vox and Marshall voices.

I've spent a lot of time with the Artisan 15 and like it a lot. I'm not sure how easy they'd be to find in the US but it's well worth tracking one down.

This video is poor quality but will give you an idea of the range of tones available.

Another prone to failure amp...

I'm sorry to hear that. I have had no problems with the two Blackstars I have, one is only a month old but the other I've had for a couple years now. From what I've read people have had problems with the TAD tubes which also came in my old Fender BJ. Interestingly my Blackstar HT60 Stage came with Rubys and Sovteks.

I'm sorry to hear that. I have had no problems with the two Blackstars I have, one is only a month old but the other I've had for a couple years now. From what I've read people have had problems with the TAD tubes which also came in my old Fender BJ. Interestingly my Blackstar HT60 Stage came with Rubys and Sovteks.

Another couple of amps that are in the right volume and sonic territory are the Blackstar Artisan 15 and 30 models. Hand-wired tube amps with excellent build quality which can do Fender, Vox and Marshall voices.

I've spent a lot of time with the Artisan 15 and like it a lot. I'm not sure how easy they'd be to find in the US but it's well worth tracking one down.

This video is poor quality but will give you an idea of the range of tones available.

A friend of mine went through three of the 5watt heads.

The Artisans are super expensive here... $2,000 just for a 15 watt combo...

For size and sounds, I have the Fender 68 Deluxe Reverb and the Evil Robot 18/30 in mind... Thoughts?

I have one of the DR reissues, and I like it a a lot. I've gigged it several times and it covers anything and I can carry it. Honks nicely at higher volumes, but even was loud enough out doors. I know about the hand wiring issue, and I'm looking at lots of those myself in a state of confusion because there are too many good choices really.

I have one of the DR reissues, and I like it a a lot. I've gigged it several times and it covers anything and I can carry it. Honks nicely at higher volumes, but even was loud enough out doors. I know about the hand wiring issue, and I'm looking at lots of those myself in a state of confusion because there are too many good choices really.

There was the 65' DRRI and now there is a 68' Custom Deluxe Reverb. Somewhat different animal...

There was the 65' DRRI and now there is a 68' Custom Deluxe Reverb. Somewhat different animal...

Mine would be the 65. I actually bought it for my son back some years, but he doesn't use it anymore and I figured I'd put a few miles on it for him. Is there a big difference?

Archived