Heritage Owners Club

Amp Dilemma

DetroitBlues

I really love the tones I'm getting from my old Traynor. But I'm thinking about getting another amp I can gig with...

Here's what's on my radar....

Marshall DSL-40 Combo

Marshall DSL-15 head and multi speaker cab

Vox AC-15 2x12 (yes, they started making them)

Vox AC-15 Handwired

Vox AC-30 Handwired

Egnator 30 combo

Tech21 Trademark 60

Heritage Revolution 45 watt head and matching 2x12

All of these are available to me, but some are expensive enough I'd have to sell the Traynor. I wanted to keep the wattage around 30 and nothing bigger than a 2x12 config.

The Marshall's and the Heritage will support local businesses, everything else is probably a Sweetwater or Guitar Denter find... Which of these amps would you use for blues and classic rock?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All cool choices. However, Vox AC30: 71 pounds! Fine if I'm leaving it somewhere all the time, but I'd hate to load it in and out. Even the AC15's are heavier than you would imagine, same goes for any Marshall combo I've hauled. Not deal breakers, but things to consider. You liked the Blues Junior idea for awhile, no love anymore? I was just getting very righteous tone out of my Peavey Classic 30 that's at least 10 years old (speaker change to a Weber Blue Dog, JJ tubes), and I don't believe they are any more or less reliable than other PCB stuff on the market. Don't believe everything you read on the innerwebs, Josh, including THIS, haha.

I have to agree with Monica, and you KNOW it's calling you; have Brian make you a handwired 5E3 and keep it. Or another KBP810 Reverb Deluxe. Either would be great choices. Or what about your old Marshall 18 Watt clone your friend wants to sell? Wouldn't that be plenty loud enough? Good luck!

All cool choices. However, Vox AC30: 71 pounds! Fine if I'm leaving it somewhere all the time, but I'd hate to load it in and out. Even the AC15's are heavier than you would imagine, same goes for any Marshall combo I've hauled. Not deal breakers, but things to consider. You liked the Blues Junior idea for awhile, no love anymore? I was just getting very righteous tone out of my Peavey Classic 30 that's at least 10 years old (speaker change to a Weber Blue Dog, JJ tubes), and I don't believe they are any more or less reliable than other PCB stuff on the market. Don't believe everything you read on the innerwebs, Josh, including THIS, haha.

I have to agree with Monica, and you KNOW it's calling you; have Brian make you a handwired 5E3 and keep it. Or another KBP810 Reverb Deluxe. Either would be great choices. Or what about your old Marshall 18 Watt clone your friend wants to sell? Wouldn't that be plenty loud enough? Good luck!

I've thought about asking Brian a favor again... But with a newborn and such, I don't want to bother him... One thing about the 5E3 and the 18watt... No Reverb....

I've thought about asking Brian a favor again... But with a newborn and such, I don't want to bother him... One thing about the 5E3 and the 18watt... No Reverb....

Please tell him I said "Hello" when you talk to him again, and I hope all's going great with the little one.

Like he told me when I asked him if he could put Reverb in the 5E3 circuit he built for me; "I suppose I COULD, but I don't know where I'd put the extra knob, and frankly, it doesn't NEED it, and I don't miss having it on mine." As far as I'm concerned, he was right. It's a cop-out, but there are always Reverb/Delay pedals. Plus, for whatever reason, I find myself using quick delays more than reverb these days when I want it a little wetter.

I'd go with a used Blues Jr. I've seen so many bands use this to gig blues and classic rock gigs at small and medium sized clubs, they sound great and they're light. and as you know, there are many Bill M mods u can do to change them. There are a few pretty long threads in this forum where many people have put in their 2 cents on the FB Jr and sang their praises. I love mine, bought used, I think I paid $150 and another $50 for some minor changes.

\

If you have the option of a KBP amp at some point, I'd suggest a Deluxe Reverb: loud enough, good cleans, breakup at a sensible point, takes pedals well.

From your list, the handwired AC15 would be my choice for a lot of the reasons above. Totally different noise though and absolute joy to these English ears :)

Any of the amps in your list is what I would use for blues and classic rock. I would also use a Dual Rec or a Mark I, II, III, IV and V for blues and classic rock plus a host of other amps.

Any of the amps you have already had would be good for Blues and classic rock :)

The AC15HW is a pretty good amp. If 'you" like it.

Guest HRB853370

Hell, he has already taught the little tyke to solder! I already have something in the works for him come spring. I am sure Brian or myself would sell you our 5E3 amps for the right price, ha ha. +1 on using a reverb footswitch or get an outboard spring reverb.

Of those you list, the AC 15 and the Heritage stand out ( the AC 30 does too but I have that covered). I don't know any blues players that use Vox - there's probably a reason for that. I bet that Heritage is a righteous, pedal friendly amp. Have you tried borrowing / renting it?

If you have the option of a KBP amp at some point, I'd suggest a Deluxe Reverb: loud enough, good cleans, breakup at a sensible point, takes pedals well.

From your list, the handwired AC15 would be my choice for a lot of the reasons above. Totally different noise though and absolute joy to these English ears :)

I've found a Bassman like design as my favorite to which the Marshall, Vox, and Traynor are based on....

I've found a Bassman like design as my favorite to which the Marshall, Vox, and Traynor are based on....

Vox? I'd call Vox amps anything BUT Bassman or Marshall like. No clue about the Traynor, never cared for them.

Vox? I'd call Vox amps anything BUT Bassman or Marshall like. No clue about the Traynor, never cared for them.

The power tube output section.... Traynor, for lack of better description basically clones Fender amps but tweaks them for EL34/84 tubes instead.... At least the original ones.... The newer ones I didn't care for.

I had a BillM Modded Blues Jr. Great amp. Needed a bigger cab though.

I did most of Bill's mods to mine, did them one at a time, had the chassis out so many times that the ribbon cables failed. Had to install straight wire. I love the amp for low volume playing. I'd love to hear it with an extra speaker. Have an old blackfaced Twin and a Reverb Deluxe that don't get used.

Archived