Heritage Owners Club

School me on attenuators

brentrocks

This Badcat Amp is super loud....the tone is incredible but i'm getting resistance from the natives :icon_smile:

I was thinking that an attenuator would be a good thing to try on this amp?

I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THESE!!!!

HELP!!!

Attenuators are placed between the output of the amp and the speaker. They replicate the ohm load of a speaker so the amp doesn't "know the difference". Most then use a coil to reduce the wattage by converting the excess wattage to heat. The reduced wattage that isn't converted to heat is then sent to the speaker. The down side to using one is you are running your amp wide open this will put a lot of strain on your amp. With attenuators you get what you pay for. The better ones will put less strain on your amp. Badcat make a very good attenuator. I use the Marshall Power Brake.

DV016_Jpg_Large_1364568855889_A.jpg

Pull two tubes and throw in an inefficient speaker. I've never played through an attenuator that Did Not suck the life out of an amp. Put in more ceiling insulation, anything except an attenuator.

Pull two tubes and throw in an inefficient speaker. I've never played through an attenuator that Did Not suck the life out of an amp. Put in more ceiling insulation, anything except an attenuator.

What exactly do you mean with sucking out the life of the amp? Is there a specific component that will fail? and will it not be replaceable?

What exactly do you mean with sucking out the life of the amp? Is there a specific component that will fail? and will it not be replaceable?

The difference between with an attenuator and without is akin to hearing a $1.00 kazoo player vs Herb Albert play the Flight Of The Bumblebee.

That is the best, precise and accurate, analogy I have.

I've never played through an attenuator that Did Not suck the life out of an amp. Put in more ceiling insulation, anything except an attenuator.

I tend to agree with this, I've yet to hear one that doesn't affect the tone. I still have one left (Hot Plate) but that only gets used as a load only source and not as an attenuator.

I tend to agree with this, I've yet to hear one that doesn't affect the tone. I still have one left (Hot Plate) but that only gets used as a load only source and not as an attenuator.

I've got two; a Dr Z Brake Lite SA and an Alex Attenuator.

Neither suck tone (if they do, I can't hear it). The Dr Z amps are highly regarded amps that usually come with an Brake Lite installed into the cabinet. The Alex is a boutique unit that presumably more closely simulates the dynamic load speakers present as they're cranked up.

BTW, the Brake Lite is for sale. http://www.heritageownersclub.com/forums/topic/23957-dr-z-brake-lite-sa-stand-alone-attenuator/?hl=attenuator

The difference between with an attenuator and without is akin to hearing a $1.00 kazoo player vs Herb Albert play the Flight Of The Bumblebee.

That is the best, precise and accurate, analogy I have.

I see. I misunderstood you

I've got two; a Dr Z Brake Lite SA and an Alex Attenuator.

Neither suck tone (if they do, I can't hear it). The Dr Z amps are highly regarded amps that usually come with an Brake Lite installed into the cabinet. The Alex is a boutique unit that presumably more closely simulates the dynamic load speakers present as they're cranked up.

BTW, the Brake Lite is for sale. http://www.heritageownersclub.com/forums/topic/23957-dr-z-brake-lite-sa-stand-alone-attenuator/?hl=attenuator

Blunote - you are the one person I know that advocates attenuators. I know you have a good ear, we should sit and experiment once this crazy weather breaks. It is your voice that prevents me from straight-out condemning all autenuators.

I see. I misunderstood you

You was just tuggin' on my lariat...

You're welcome to come over any time. Send me a PM.

Blunote - you are the one person I know that advocates attenuators. I know you have a good ear, we should sit and experiment once this crazy weather breaks. It is your voice that prevents me from straight-out condemning all autenuators.

By the way, the Alex Attenuator is described by it's designer as providing a "reactive" rather than "resistive" load and as such is much more transparent. Speaker efficiency or speaker cab dynamics are bound to be a bit different by virtue of less power driving them, but other than using an isolation booth, that will be a factor regardless of any power scaling used.

I was initially disappointed to read that Alex Ortner from Keego Harbor, MI (the man behind Alex's Attenuator) just last month announced that he would no longer be building any new attenuators. Fortunately, Scumback Speakers announced just yesterday that they have purchased the design and will begin offering the Alex Attenuator as a Scumback product. The announcement follows:

Scumback Speakers & Cabs, Inc. has bought the marketing, design, and production rights to the Alex Attenuator from Alex Ortner.

I always felt this attenuator was a solid design, with a very transparent tone when used, and I own one myself, and used it in my demo room.

When Alex decided to move on to do other things (car engine related development, I believe), I asked him what he wanted to do with the design, and we struck a deal on Scumback taking over production.

I have ordered a first production run of chassis, and the parts to build them are on order as well. I expect these will all arrive around the end of February, early March.

Upcoming enhancements will be a 2nd speaker jack standard, and a new faceplate and name for the attenuator. Beyond that, the unit works so well, I really haven't explored other upgrades or options, but I will keep an open mind on that for the future.

I do have a waiting list started for clients, feel free to email me to get on it, and I will contact you when the units are built and ready to ship. I am not going to take deposits, I will only ship them as they're available.

I am also going to run a poll on what the new name of the attenuator will be, so you creative types get your ideas together for that. I will be announcing that as well in the next couple of days.

If anyone has any questions, just email sales at scumbackspeakers.com and put Alex Attenuator in the subject line, OK?

Glad to be able to offer this fine product again.

Jim

Scumback Speakers

Enslaving Guitarists Worldwide!

$20 off Scumbacks, 10% off Cabs Sale!

Some are better designed than others which falls into the "you get what you pay for" analogy. Be aware they do put a strain on your power supply; your power tubes and power transformer. Many folks have found that constant use leads to premature power tube replacement. I would not use one with any vintage amp. If it's a fairly new amp and the mfg. states it is safe to use with their product, then who am I to disagree.

For what its worth when I play a Strat or a Mille with humbuckers thru my TK Metro they sound just like the that Tone King video.

Well maybe the playing isn't quite there but the tone is.

A highly versatile amp, and as light as a fender deluxe reverb.

Archived