Heritage Owners Club

if you ever try out an amp, to buy, or try....always check the speaker cable!

bolero

went to check out an amp today....get to the guys place, looks ok but I want to make sure it works before we do the deal

he plugs it in, grabs a gtr, plugs the gtr into the amp, I strum....no sound?

"is the volume on?"

"yup"

I check the gtr vol, while he twists some dials on the amp...

"uh...the speaker *is* plugged in, right?"

tilts the amp forward..."oh crap, yeah I had it plugged into another cab when I was using it"

I wanted to slap the guy!!! WTF????

turned the amp off, plugged in the speaker & I tentatively played a chord....seems to work ok. played it a bit longer & went thru the controls, turned the volume up...yikes we got lucky there

....lesson learned......NEVER ASSUME ANYONE KNOWS WTF THEY"RE DOING!!!!!!!!!!

Guest HRB853370

Turning on a tube amp without being connected to a speaker is a sure way to blow a tranny. Lucky it was only for a brief moment. Did you buy the amp?

And in the case of solid state components, you could blow the output transistors. (talkin more hi fi stuff here)

Turning on a tube amp without being connected to a speaker is a sure way to blow a tranny. Lucky it was only for a brief moment. Did you buy the amp?

exactly!!

yep, it is a cool little amp I have been on the lookout for, they are kind of rare around here

leo-fender.jpg

this album was recorded with one:

I plugged it in, and gave it a quick runthru, while watching the tubes to make sure they didn't runaway

I think it sounds really good, but has some random sputtering & pops so I will restrain myself from playing it until I get it checked out 100%. I bet it needs caps

humbucker equipped firebird:

https://soundcloud.com/roofleaks/musicman-clip

Most tube amps have a shorting jack at the speaker out. If nothing is plugged in to the speaker out, the amp is safe as the jack shorts to ground. What could happen with a head is, you have the cable plugged into the amp but not into the speaker cab. This is a sure way to blow the output transformer.

I've been hesitant to use the extension jack on my Traynor because I'm worried about the extension jack never been used (40 year old amp) and the manual stating minimum 8ohm cab. I'm worried about dropping it down to 4ohm or even worse a 16ohm mixed with a 8ohm....

Musicman is coming back out with their amps. I see them around here from time to time for $500 or less. Compact but freaking heavy!

yes I read about that, too...another reason why I wanted to get one before they reissued them for $1500 and drive up the prices on old ones!

it appears to be a very good amp, I hope the maintenace isn't too pricey.

But hey, anytime you buy an old amp, you gotta bite the bullet

Most tube amps have a shorting jack at the speaker out. If nothing is plugged in to the speaker out, the amp is safe as the jack shorts to ground. What could happen with a head is, you have the cable plugged into the amp but not into the speaker cab. This is a sure way to blow the output transformer.

+1 and more on this. I have "missed" plugging the cab into my TA15 SO many times, it's become a running joke in the band. Especially when I'm going "I've got no sound!". Most of those times it's when I've had help setting up my rig while I'm setting up the PA. And sure enough, there's the cable plugged into the speaker cab, but not in the amp head. So, yeah, speaker should be plugged, but it's not the instant killer that seems to have such prevalent thought in recent years.

Bolero, I bet you bond with that amp.

I love my Musicman amp. I got it way back when I wanted a Boogie but couldn't afford it. Now that I have a Boogie, I still love the Fender-ish bright sound of my MM.

Very versatile.

Compact but freaking heavy!

Yeah, DB, MMs are heavy, but not as heavy as a Boogie of similar power. I'm still on my quest for a good gigging tube amp under 45 pounds. Spinal disc degeneration sucks.

Warren Haynes's guitar tech Brian Farmer uses a Musicman RD-65 amp like mine.

mine is a 112 RP model...here is one:

music-man-112-rp-one-hundred-ev-107811.j

mine is in considerably worse than mint shape :D actually one I replace the grillcloth it will look pretty good

the trem is excellent...goes from Fender all the way into Moog territory!! pretty neat

mine is a 112 RP model...here is one:

music-man-112-rp-one-hundred-ev-107811.j

mine is in considerably worse than mint shape :D actually one I replace the grillcloth it will look pretty good

the trem is excellent...goes from Fender all the way into Moog territory!! pretty neat

The 112 RP has reverb and a phase shifter, not tremolo. I guess that's why it gets you into "Moog territory!

Archived