Heritage Owners Club

Which tubes

big bob

Looks like its time to replace the power tubes in my Carr. The Carr runs two sets of 6v6 tubes. One set in fixed bias one set in cathode bias. The amp will run 18 watts cathode, or 22 watts fixed, or 40 both. I usually run the 40 watt option.

My choices in tubes are either EH 6v6 for about 60 for a matched Quad, JJ 6v6 at about 60 for matched quad, groove tubes at about 80 a matched quad or ting sol at 80, or tad at 100.

The jjs are built more like 6l6 with a spiral filiment and are said to be more like 6l6 in tone ie more punchie and cleaner. Which I kinda like, but are they?

Are the tads 40 bucks better?

What do you cats think?

The JJ's are a rugged tube with a big scooped mid character, sounding more like a 7591 than a 6V6 or 6L6 to my ears. The EH 6V6 is not bad. I did like them in a friends '72 Deluxe Reverb, but that's about the only amp I liked them in. The TAD 6V6 is a bit darker with less definition than most 6V6's I've tried. The TAD's also break up a bit sooner than the rest. The Tung Sols are my favorite among new production tubes (6V6, 5881, 6L6GC STR, 7581 and 12ax7's), The TS 6V6 sounds good in every amp I've tried them in. They have a nice clear tone, when played clean, and a smooth break-up when pushed. If you order a matched quad, ask for a low IP, or plate voltage reading and buy from a dealer with a good reputation.

The SRS-Webstore (on ebay) has matched quads of Tung Sol 6V6's for $69.99 with free shipping.

Also, when buying used power tubes, never buy anything that looks like this:

As you can see, the burn marks around the getter flash shows these are very well used.

$_57.JPG

The new EH's are highly regarded and spec'd in many new high end amps. Yes, the JJ's are very 6L6-like and have extended highs and low end compared with many 6v6's. When I want the extra headroom, they work a treat in my Richter 5E3. Not a fan personally of groove tubes as they charge an arm and a leg for what amounts to a tube sorting service, but they do provide a safety blanket if your amp requires 6v6s of a certain gain and transconductance.

Unfortunately, the newest version of the Tung-Sol's are not what they once were. Neither as robust or sound as good in my experience.

The TAD's are great, and again you are paying for them to sort tubes for you, but I have had a better track record sonically and reliability-wise with theirs as opposed to GT. So, if you'd like your mighty Carr to get a bit more blackface in its cleans, and have some tube dampers on hand, the JJ's are fun and seem bulletproof. Of what you can buy new today, I recommend the EH's if you prefer new manufacture.

BTW, Mike at KCA still has ANOS RCA Blackplates available in double matched pairs for $150. These will last longer and sound better than any of the above mentioned options, and the street cred you gain is IMMENSE!👍

Like Mike (Slider), I have tried JJs, EHs, TADs, and Tung Sol RI 6v6s.....

For me, it wasn't even close, Tung Sol 6v6s all the way!!!!!

Lance, here is the official review from The Tube Store..... After you read this you can go to their site and read the reviews of the other tubes they stock. Hope it helps.

Tung-Sol 6V6GT - The Tung-Sol 6V6-GT is an outstanding tube and I feel it delivers a much smoother overdrive that you could describe as creamy instead of crunchy. The tone is better that almost anything I've heard. The only comparable is the 7408 from RCA and that an industrial grade worth a fortune. The sound is better defined than the Electro Harmonix with less compression than EH or JJ. The trade off is that they are not as loud as the JJ, they have less "in your face" midrange but that's about it. I ran a set in a slightly modified ‘59 Bassman (450 plate volts biased at about 9 watts static dissipation). No problems at all and the blues tone was incredible, much smoother than NOS or JJ with a fluid musical distortion and moderate compression. By comparison, the JJ was louder, compressed hard and had a crunchy rock sound. No microphonics with the Tung-Sol and a very low noise floor. In a tweed amp like a Deluxe or Tremolux that is made for a 6V6, the blues players may pee their pants. Although they are well made (different than the EH), it is possible that you would want something more like the JJ when playing in bars just because their hard midrange cuts a bit better. All of the Tung-Sol brand tubes seem to be worth the money. The JJ and the Tung-Sol are the only 6V6 tubes I will use in my amps or sell to customers from now on. For a vintage purest I would go Tung Sol all the way since they sound great and look like the real deal.

Thanks to Slider and Kuz, I've switched over to Tung Sol in most of my amps and have no regrets!!

I've also had good luck with JJ power tubes in my Champs and Blues Jr., but TS will be the next upgrade.

Good stuff guys!

Just one note on the new Tung-Sol's, I bought a dozen of them when the current style came out two or three years ago. They were wonderful tubes, easily the best new manufacture out there. Used them in 5e3s, Swarts, DRRI, and Reinhardt. Only some of the better NOS beat them out sonically. Quiet and low micros too.

Six weeks ago bought 6 from the same supplier, noticed the construction was different. The two I put in a Swart AST to replace the previous ones couldn't handle the plate voltage and quit. One of the remaining four with easy duty in a Richter (330 plate voltage) went micro phonic to an unusable extent immediately, and a second just plain quit. Perhaps most telling, a tube supplier I respect greatly no longer sells Tung-Sol 6v6's after being a big fan of their previous effort. As always, YMMV. And, NOS tubes are still the best long term and ultimate sonic value out there for 6v6's.😊

I would take ScottNaylors advice & get some good NOS 6V6's

they will probably last a lot longer than new production tubes, equalling out any savings in the long run. and they will surely sound good!

do you know the plate voltage the Carr runs each pair at? that will help determine as well, NOS will be more robust

I have also heard good things about JJ 6V6's

Six weeks ago bought 6 from the same supplier, noticed the construction was different. The two I put in a Swart AST to replace the previous ones couldn't handle the plate voltage and quit.

Can you explain the difference in the construction or show a photo of the earlier build compared to the new ones you recently purchased?

I've used Tung Sol 6V6 reissues as well as JJ 6V6S in my Victoria Ivy League (5F10 Harvard Circuit). There are some differences in sound, but both sound good. The JJ's spend the most time in the amp.

I have used Philips JAN nos tubes (power and preamp) Tung sol (power and preamp) and EH (power only TS in the preamp) in my slant 6V. It came with the nos tubes back in 2001. They sounded great and lasted about 8 years. I then switched to Tung Sol and loved the tone but lost headroom. Now I have EH in there and they brought back the original tone of the amp I remembered from when I bought it. I like the ts in the preamp and the eh in the power section. The ts preamp tubes have a great creamy tone but the ts power tubes are too short lived for me. I have not had good luck in any of my amps with them; however, they do sound great. If I could afford all nos tubes I would go that route but the slant 6 takes so many tubes I would need to take out a loan to do that. So in the end I am sticking with eh power tubes and ts preamp, the best I can do for the $ I have.

Here are pix already on the 'net. They look more like the Electro Harmonix tubes to me now. Would be interesting to know if there are any changes obscured by the plates as well.

The spacers, plates and getter supports look the same, from what I can tell, but it looks like the getters are those "flying saucer" type instead of the halo getter. I haven't seen the newer production 6V6's, in the photo, but it wouldn't surprise me if they changed them for the worse. It seems to be the order of the day with many products. A company will put out a great product for a couple of years and change to cheaper materials and lessen the product; after building up a good customer base.

Archived