Heritage Owners Club

Pick up and pot swap

JeffB

From this thread http://www.heritageownersclub.com/forums/topic/27373-ab-test-with-58-lp-ri/

Made a clip of the process so I could track the differences.

Simple G to C strum. neck pick up only. Didnt really consider amp settings but kept them the same and didnt move the mic etc.

First the guitar as is, then with new pots and then with new pick ups.

I dont know what to make of any of it.

Feel like I could achieve any of the differences at the amp if I considered any of the differences worthwhile.

I think I did myself out of 3/4hr practice time.

Bah humbug! :)

https://soundcloud.com/jeffbn/pick-up-and-pot-swap

With my AKG's plugged in I could hear each change clearly. I actually liked the old pickups with new pots combo the best, but that's just, like, my opinion, man. Any details on the parts used? I read thru the referenced thread and either missed it or it escaped my attention. Thanks, you!

Original p/ups were SD 59's. Pots were what ever Heritage used on the day in 2006 and were exchanged for humble dimarzio 500k pots.

The replacement pick ups are what ever come out of a R8. BB1 and BB2.

I like the SD59's better.

I was going to put some SD Antiquities in but I wanted to compare like with like and the R8 has BB's also.

I think I could have replicated the pot change at the amp using the treble and presence controls.

First time thru I liked the middle recording voicing the best. Going back/forth I started to get kinda lost. Yeh, maybe could tweak the amp and get there, too. I shoulda recorded when I did it, too. 3rd set of pus in my 150, started w/SD59s. Then caps. Then pots. Doesn't matter as long as I think it changed something :)

I've been afflicted by mod fever as well. Terribly distracting.

I've learned to accept and make peace with the SD '59s in my 150. I even like them now. With P-90s in the other 150 and Gibson '57s in the goldtop RI, I have a decent range that approximates the sounds of '56, '57, and '59. (At least in the manufacturers' opinions.) The rest is up to the amps and my fingers.

I am so eager to hear my "de-CBSed" Deluxe Reverb that's still in the shop. It sounded good before I took it in, so I'm really anticipating the Blackfaced restoration.

I love these comparisons. Seems like the close mike on the amp usually gives you the best shot at hearing a difference. Those pickups may be more similar than anticipated? Do you notice any change when you try to squeal 'em at high gain?

Doesn't matter as long as I think it changed something :)

I totally agree that the player's perception is what matters, as it changes they way he plays, and even what he plays.

I love these comparisons. Seems like the close mike on the amp usually gives you the best shot at hearing a difference. Those pickups may be more similar than anticipated? Do you notice any change when you try to squeal 'em at high gain?

I totally agree that the player's perception is what matters, as it changes they way he plays, and even what he plays.

At higher gain the original p/ups and pots are darker, smoother and tighter at the same settings as the other combinations.

Just typing this and thinking about the differences each change made reminded me that I have done something similar in a fit of ocd. I posted the clip here on the HOC.

I played the same lead parts over a backing track on three different guitars, a strat with a JBjnr bridge, the H150 and a PRS SAS.

I didnt change the amp settings. There were differences in the sound of each guitar but to me the similarities were more pronounced.

Much of the difference could have been fixed at the amp with individual settings for each guitar. Not entirely but close enough.

I remember thinking then that I would naturally make these changes at the amp with out thinking about it in a gig situation.

I would just find the sound that seemed about right and play.

I think gain is a leveler in some ways, the more gain the less difference. The little bits of fizz, fuzz, grind and compression all fall into and fill in the gaps and dips. Kind of like water on a flattish surface.

• 2 weeks later...

I liked the track but I liked the tone at the end w new pots and pickups, the best.

At higher gain the original p/ups and pots are darker, smoother and tighter at the same settings as the other combinations.

Just typing this and thinking about the differences each change made reminded me that I have done something similar in a fit of ocd. I posted the clip here on the HOC.

I played the same lead parts over a backing track on three different guitars, a strat with a JBjnr bridge, the H150 and a PRS SAS.

I didnt change the amp settings. There were differences in the sound of each guitar but to me the similarities were more pronounced.

Much of the difference could have been fixed at the amp with individual settings for each guitar. Not entirely but close enough.

I remember thinking then that I would naturally make these changes at the amp with out thinking about it in a gig situation.

I would just find the sound that seemed about right and play.

I think gain is a leveler in some ways, the more gain the less difference. The little bits of fizz, fuzz, grind and compression all fall into and fill in the gaps and dips. Kind of like water on a flattish surface.

I remember that thread, and I agree gain sort of equalizes everything.

I have a question related to this topic, I've been considering changing pots and caps in my 150P, it's a little darker sounding guitar compared to every other guitar I own, I think the right pots/wiring/ and cap values could add a little sparkle to it. I have no idea what caps are in it but I believe it has the "50's" style wiring.

Any suggestions on caps or wiring to brighten it up?

Sorry if this turns into a hi jack but seems to fit with this thread.

I remember that thread, and I agree gain sort of equalizes everything.

I have a question related to this topic, I've been considering changing pots and caps in my 150P, it's a little darker sounding guitar compared to every other guitar I own, I think the right pots/wiring/ and cap values could add a little sparkle to it. I have no idea what caps are in it but I believe it has the "50's" style wiring.

Any suggestions on caps or wiring to brighten it up?

Sorry if this turns into a hi jack but seems to fit with this thread.

You need to make sure ALL the pots are 500K first, this will make the biggest difference if you have 250-300K pots.

You need to make sure ALL the pots are 500K first, this will make the biggest difference if you have 250-300K pots.

Pretty sure they are, I did a treble bleed on it awhile back, the pots and caps are all high quality, cts pots and the caps are spragues or some such, I don't remember the cap values, if the neck has a 22 then a 15 would probably help, I think the 50's wiring may be part of it too.

Gonna have a look at it right now.

.022mf on both tone controls, gonna start with a .015 for the neck and see what that does, the bridge pickup is fine just seems a little dark and muddy on the neck pup.

Any suggestions welcome though.

Just turn the treble or presence up on the amp :D

What pick ups are you using?

JB/Jazz set, had a 59 in the neck and thought the Jazz might be a little more defined but not much difference. It's not a bad sounding guitar at all, just think the neck pickup should have a little more sparkle, for lack of a better word.

I can tweak the amp and get it to sound fine, but by my way of thinking if I get the little bit of muddiness out of it it would a really really great sounding guitar, the bridge pickup is great so I think it's just an issue in the wiring.

To my old ears, each succeeding mod made the overall tone darker. I think it sounded better before the mods, in these clips. More articulate, better note definition. My computer speakers never lie!!

Back to the original topic.

So many things to consider with a guitars sound/pickups/ electronics. In the clip I much preferred the original version of the 150, to me it seemed clearer and more defined, the second to clips seemed to add some sort of white noise, a little with just the pots and then a bit more with the new pups.

That doesn't mean the changes might not make the guitar sound better in different situations, they might be better at overdriven tones, they might take different amps better, and all this is based on a recording I listened to through headphones, in person it might sound different.

What is very obvious is that each of the changes were very subtle, which makes me think spending stupid amounts of money on boutique stuff is usually a waste of time.

Archived