Heritage Owners Club

Slight finish checking

Thundersteel

I saw an ad for someone selling an H-170, and said there is slight finish checking in the neck pocket. I say the neck was broken at the neck joint and re-glued. What say you?

They're also selling it for about what a new one goes for--roughly $2500!

sc1omn2ado37elttm6o1.jpg

s51uypm23qveaduyrppb.jpg

I say move on and find another 170.

Oh, I had no intention of buying it. I just thought it was funny how they describe "finish checking."

Yeah, that is almost certainly a broken neck joint. Checking my ass. The wood on either side of the neck joint is borked, and the neck itself has obviously shifted upwards.

Looks like it was dropped in the case, and the weight of the body broke the neck joint.

Checking often starts at a body joint, that is true, but not like that. no way no how.

Heritage has had problems with checking at the neck joint and near the tuners. I heard about it a year ago first and several times since.

The neck pocket does not look broken to me. Those look like stress cracks, consistent with a brittle nitro batch. A repair wouldn't scar that way.

I suggest you avoid the purchase anyway because you don't want to explain to your buddies that it looks worse than it is.

Heritage has had problems with checking at the neck joint and near the tuners. I heard about it a year ago first and several times since.

The neck pocket does not look broken to me. Those look like stress cracks, consistent with a brittle nitro batch. A repair wouldn't scar that way.

I suggest you avoid the purchase anyway because you don't want to explain to your buddies that it looks worse than it is.

?

Clean your glasses.. That guitar took a shot from behind, if ya know what I mean!

I don't doubt that a blow to the neck stressed the joint. I'm saying it doesn't look like the wood has been repaired or that the wood is split. The front of the neck joint is pristine. The rim crack goes over the maple cap.

It is possible that the mahogany and maple cracked but it is more likely that the nitro split with flexion of the neck.

There is way too much space, IMHO, for those to be checking. Those are cracks. For that kind of finish damage, the wood is definitely cracked, and I've seen gibson and heritage guitars with that exact same break pattern. You can tell that the bottom of the neck has definitely moved. Also the cracks seem to stop at where the maple cap would be.

Also, the direction of the cracks is not what you would usually just see from checking, which often proceeds in a straight line. The wood is broken.

This is checking along a wood joint, and it doesn't deviate at all from the joint and binding:

finishcrack.jpg

This guitar was available for sale at the HOC Winter muster. It was brand spanking new, built as spec'd by Chicago Music Exchange. Gorgeous guitar, with evidence of light checking at the pocket. It has greatly deteriorated since then (March)

I don't believe this is broken at all, having played it and looked at it closely at the time, (as did others here) I think its a failed neck joint that is separating as time goes by. Need to be re-set and refinished, and would be a fine guitar. It was for sale with a full warranty in March, from CME, the new owner probably could have purchased it and sent it back to Kzoo for repair at no cost. I dunno how that would work now.

It's up for sale as a B-stock...so they're not saying its "good as new"

Archived