Heritage Owners Club

Sounds of my new H555

Frank67

Hi folks,

some of you may remember that Heritage built me a gorgeous single set pickup Golden Eagle that is an absolutely stunning guitar. After I had it, it became clear to me that this won't stay my only Heritage guitar. I live in Germany but I knew that I had a business trip to Minneapolis/Madison and Chicago coming up in the spring of 2014 - so I emailed Ren and kindly asked him whether they could make me a H555 that I would pick up myself during my trip - I figured that this would be a fantastic opportunity to breathe in a bit of history. After some back and forth we settled on a friday in may 2014 - the plant is normally closed on fridays but Ren said he would come and show me around regardless.

I was looking really forward to this trip and finally arrived on thursday evening in Kalamazoo. Ren told me that he had a gig that night in a nearby cafe. So I went straight to there, walked through there door and there was that band of three gentlemen playing country and a few jazz standards. Ren immediately recognized that it must be me and smiled. In the break he introduced me to his friends and they even asked whether I wanted to sit in and play with them - which I found really nice. But i had along drive behind me and was tired (and I am also not as good as these guys or familiar with the music they played).

The next morning we met for breakfast and talked guitars and music for an hour or so and finally made it to the plant. I found it fascinating to see all this ancient equipment and the level of craftsmanship and love they put in their products. So, after touring the plant he showed me the guitar and as I opened the case I was blown away by the beauty of the guitar. Ren remarked that this one came out particularly nice. I also met Marv and Bill Paige and they were all super nice people and fun to talk to.

The H555 is a custom built, but relatively close to the standard specs. Differences include block inlays and bareknuckle stormy monday pickups (that I had sent to Heritage from the Music Zoo, one of the few sellers in the US that carries them) that they wired with coil split and out of phase option). The guitar practically plays itself ... it is marvellous. A piece of art and a lovechild.

I have been meaning to write about that little story and post a few pictures for a while, but now there finally was time to also record a few bars of music to let you share in the beautiful sounds (my playing is not beautiful, but the guitar really is).

I have the fondest memories of my trip to Kalamazoo and I remember a bunch of wonderful gentlemen that I met at the Heritage plant who build fantastic guitars with love and passion for handcrafted instruments and I am very grateful for the experience. Special thanks to Ren for his hospitality!

... needless to say ... this won't be my last Heritage either ... I did not leave the plant before making a downpayment for a black beauty H157 - another dream guitar of mine :-) ... and then ??? I recently had to pass on the spectacular deal for a OSB eagle classic that had my name written all over it ... but sometimes waiting increases the joy (in german we have the silly phrase "anticipated fun is the purest form of joy" - I already hated that as a kid for obvious reasons and it didn't get much better with age :-))

ok, enough of my babbling ...

Here is the guitar in all its beauty:

IMG_1668_zpscad1fa02.jpg

IMG_1713_zps646f16f7.jpg

IMG_1711_zpse139377d.jpg

A happy Frank with Ren at the factory

IMG_1665_zps2516020e.jpg

Ren setting it up for me at the plant

IMG_1650_zps16060c37.jpg

here is a bit of a jazzy tune on the neck pickup with vol and tone slightly rolled back:

and here is a bit of blues noodling showing the different pickup combinations:

Have a nice day everybody!

Cheers,

Frank

What color is that? That is simply gorgeous!

I can't tell you the name of the color- sorry! I described to Ren what I wanted telling him that I am after a deep dark red (as opposed to cherry red) and he emailed me a few pictures and let me choose from them. I love the result ... I always felt that these guitars have to be red :-)

I can just imagine how wide your smile must have been when you finally got to open the case for that first peek. What a beautiful guitar. Congratulations!!!!!

thanks guys - the smile on my face was indeed overwhelming when we first opened the case ... love the guitars. My two Heritages are my favorite guitars ... soon there'll be a third one - a H157 black beauty. Then all grounds are covered ... but wait ... I only need one more - the next :-)

Frank, that is a beauty, play it in good health! With your permission, I'm going to borrow elements from this build for a future custom order! Waiting on my first custom order from them at present (a H150 mini-humbucker).

Dear V23505,

sure, please use whatever you like - I don't think I did that much outside the stock model with this guitar. After all, it is Heritage who designs and makes these guitars! They also said "no" to some things I asked ... so I guess it is always worth a try ... I just love what they do.

Cheers,

Frank

Archived