Heritage Owners Club

ABY pedal options: opinions welcome

kidsmoke

I've got the ol' Morley ABY pedal. Pisses me off that they give it a 9v battery requirement and no plug capability. Only way to change the battery is with a phillips. Not particularly convenient.

Anyone have a fave option in this regard?

Check this el-cheapo at Sweetwater...just like a car salesman....it says all the right things.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BigShotABY

Radial ABY has 180 switch to help the phasing issues to go along with ABY capability. Does everything required for hooking up a multiple amp set-up. Not an expert but I think its an excellent pedal

I went with the Lehle ABY little amp switcher. Not a cheap option (usually ~$220 or so), but it works. Works well. Quiet, versatile.

Radial ABY has 180 switch to help the phasing issues to go along with ABY capability. Does everything required for hooking up a multiple amp set-up. Not an expert but I think its an excellent pedal

These are both good options.

Check out the voodoo labs products

Im also a fan of Voodoo labs switching systems.

I have to say that Radial sounds great. Totally passive. no battery, no outlet. LOVE that. and my needs are simple. Here's the application.

Live setting. Electric guitar to amp. Acoustic guitar to DI to house. My desire is to have one 1/4" cable, route it through the pedals to the amp when electric, route it to the DI when acoustic. Have pedal tuner capabilities with either guitar. Unplug guitar, switch guitars, plug in, tune, pick a path, play, repeat.

If it performs as advertised that Radial would do the job without worry of power or noise. and CHEAP. :icon_thumleft:

I've got the ol' Morley ABY pedal. Pisses me off that they give it a 9v battery requirement and no plug capability. Only way to change the battery is with a phillips. Not particularly convenient.

Anyone have a fave option in this regard?

Check this el-cheapo at Sweetwater...just like a car salesman....it says all the right things.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BigShotABY

I have a Morely, maybe same as yours, and it seems to me that the battery is only for the light - so if you can live without the light you don't need to have one in there. It's been forever since I used it so I may be remembering it wrong (doesn't stop me from shooting off my mouth for some reason.)

I have a Morely, maybe same as yours, and it seems to me that the battery is only for the light - so if you can live without the light you don't need to have one in there. It's been forever since I used it so I may be remembering it wrong (doesn't stop me from shooting off my mouth for some reason.)

I should verify this. I've seen other pedals that work in this way. The battery can introduce the hum issue as well.

Anytime you are running a signal into two amps, both plugged in and grounded, there is the strong chance that the ground loop you create will pick up hum and RFI. Most of the ABY's specifically designed to use with two amps use a transformer to isolate the two signals. The first time I tried to use a two-amp setup with an ABY, (and the ABY happened to be a Morley, but not really the pedal's fault), it was unworkable --hum, radio, pops. Same set up with a transformer-isolated voodoo labs switcher, all the problems went away. Not really the switcher's fault --might work with very short cable runs, for example, or to switch a signal between an amp and a tuner. The way to test if a ground loop is the source of the hum is to temporarily lift the ground (ye olde three to two prong adapter) on one of the signal paths. But this not a solution, and potentially dangerous.

Got a second tuner? If that's the only reason you are using the ABY, might be easier/cheaper just to have two signal paths. If the tuner is noisy, use the ABY to switch to the tuner, but keep the amp and DI separate.

Anytime you are running a signal into two amps, both plugged in and grounded, there is the strong chance that the ground loop you create will pick up hum and RFI. Most of the ABY's specifically designed to use with two amps use a transformer to isolate the two signals. The first time I tried to use a two-amp setup with an ABY, (and the ABY happened to be a Morley, but not really the pedal's fault), it was unworkable --hum, radio, pops. Same set up with a transformer-isolated voodoo labs switcher, all the problems went away. Not really the switcher's fault --might work with very short cable runs, for example, or to switch a signal between an amp and a tuner. The way to test if a ground loop is the source of the hum is to temporarily lift the ground (ye olde three to two prong adapter) on one of the signal paths. But this not a solution, and potentially dangerous.

Got a second tuner? If that's the only reason you are using the ABY, might be easier/cheaper just to have two signal paths. If the tuner is noisy, use the ABY to switch to the tuner, but keep the amp and DI separate.

Excellent feedback.

No on the second tuner, and I wish to simply have one guitar input to work with, and switch guitars. Another function of the Radial unit is it has a tuner output. The way I'd run with the morley is running to EB VPjr, with a tuner out (removes it from the path entirely) into the ABY, A out to DI, B out to pedal train. Then I can, as stated before, simply switch guitars, and switch from Pedal train/amp to DI. KISS is my intention.

Interestingly. the Lehle ABY emphasizes the same issue you do in its literature.

So are you currently using the Voodoo labs ABY?

Excellent feedback.

No on the second tuner, and I wish to simply have one guitar input to work with, and switch guitars. Another function of the Radial unit is it has a tuner output. The way I'd run with the morley is running to EB VPjr, with a tuner out (removes it from the path entirely) into the ABY, A out to DI, B out to pedal train. Then I can, as stated before, simply switch guitars, and switch from Pedal train/amp to DI. KISS is my intention.

Interestingly. the Lehle ABY emphasizes the same issue you do in its literature.

So are you currently using the Voodoo labs ABY?

The Radial also uses a transformer, and looks like a good deal. And, nah, I gave up on a two amp set-up, and I'd have to mount a search to find the box in which that Voodoo Lab switcher has resided for the last several years. As mentioned on an earlier thread, the times I tried to make a two-amp rig work, the sound guy always wanted to just mic one amp anyway, so, never seemed to yield a payoff commensurate with having to haul even more stuff. When we were doing tunes that required me to use an acoustic, I just played through my regular amp. Not ideal, but, we never did more than a couple of tunes, so, it just didn't seem worth more gear.

Now, mostly working with the student ensemble, there is usually not enough room on stage for the band, much less a two-amp guitar setup. I think at some point over the last couple of years I hit the pinnacle of my willingness to lug tons of guitar stuff in hopes it would make any real difference in the outcome of a gig. I'm now well down the other slope. Maybe that's because I'm now responsible for making sure a whole band has what it needs to play. One more pedal or sonic choice for me just isn't much of a priority. My single favorite piece of gear is my cart. When you are young, you want to rock. When you are my age, you need to roll.

The next step is becoming willing to actually sell the stuff I've accumulated ... I don't seem to quite be there yet.

I use the Morley to switch guitars, not amps. I thought I could do better and tried a bunch of things. I'm back to the Morley. It seems that most of these switch pedals are primarily designed for amp switching, which has different issues.

The Radial is indeed top notch. I use a Radial acoustic DI that is fantastic. The problem I have with the BigShot is that it has no indicator lights. The HotShot did, but it was discontinued. In a live situation, I need to be sure which guitar is active.

I have to say that Radial sounds great. Totally passive. no battery, no outlet. LOVE that. and my needs are simple. Here's the application.

Live setting. Electric guitar to amp. Acoustic guitar to DI to house. My desire is to have one 1/4" cable, route it through the pedals to the amp when electric, route it to the DI when acoustic. Have pedal tuner capabilities with either guitar. Unplug guitar, switch guitars, plug in, tune, pick a path, play, repeat.

If it performs as advertised that Radial would do the job without worry of power or noise. and CHEAP. :icon_thumleft:

I bought the Radial and it works for me. Only one I've ever tried though. Knowing me I probably read up quite a bit before buying it FWIW.

Different job.....different tool.

Passive ABY pedals can usually be used in either direction and are the ones most everybody uses to switch guitars. Because the Fulltone uses a preamp to buffer between signals, you cannot use it in reverse. So actually, it's mostly different job, same tool, except in the case of the Fulltone.

Passive ABY pedals can usually be used in either direction and are the ones most everybody uses to switch guitars. Because the Fulltone uses a preamp to buffer between signals, you cannot use it in reverse. So actually, it's mostly different job, same tool, except in the case of the Fulltone.

Actually it's not "different job, same tool" if done correctly. A simple passive ABY is all that's necessary for guitar switching but the OP is inquiring about an amp switcher and to accomplish that 'problem free' requires a more specialized 'tool' than a simple ABY. After trying most or all of everything on the market including ALL the above mentioned pedals the best I've found for ABY 'amp switching' are the two I mentioned from Fulltone.

Actually it's not "different job, same tool" if done correctly. A simple passive ABY is all that's necessary for guitar switching but the OP is inquiring about an amp switcher and to accomplish that 'problem free' requires a more specialized 'tool' than a simple ABY. After trying most or all of everything on the market including ALL the above mentioned pedals the best I've found for ABY 'amp switching' are the two I mentioned from Fulltone.

Ok man, whatever you say.

No replies to my original post, but once again, my experience with the Morley ABY has been terrible.They were the worst with reliability and I forgot to mention that they were tone suckers! The Startouch ABY smokes not only the Morley, but EVERY ABY pedal that I've tried. They are built like a tank. They make the one in this video with a 9V in if needed. And they are lower priced now than when I bought mine 10 years ago!

Reviews...

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=127496

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/squawk-box/236895-startouch-st1-g-ab-pedal-great-dual-amp-rig.html

No replies to my original post, but once again, my experience with the Morley ABY has been terrible.They were the worst with reliability and I forgot to mention that they were tone suckers! The Startouch ABY smokes not only the Morley, but EVERY ABY pedal that I've tried. They are built like a tank. They make the one in this video with a 9V in if needed. And they are lower priced now than when I bought mine

hey RB69, I didn't comment but I did go off on my own research mission after your recommendation ( which I've done for all in this thread,THANK YOU!!!)

Thanks for the input. I limped through with the Morley Saturday, but it's on the way out, for sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived