Heritage Owners Club

NAD: Vintage Polytone 103

schundog

Vanchoyck's recent thread on SS Jazz Amps made me take a second/third look at a Polytone that was sitting at the Peoria GC. I THOUGHT the model looked familiar, and a Google search brought up very little, except for MY post right here on the HOC about one I purchased and immediately flipped at the pawn shop. It didn't even make it home. That's OK, I did well on the deal. While I paid a good bit more for this one ($190 out the door) it was still a bargain, as it has great cleans, and the tremolo and reverb are quite good, at least with my 575, which is all I've tried through it. I think I'll have to bring it out of my office, however. It's the only room in the house with a suspended ceiling, and it was rattling like crazy with the volume turned up halfway. Tons of clear bass. It's a tall amp, on casters, with handles on the top and side, apparently so it can be placed flat on the ground, as well. So far so good. Phone pics is all I have for now.

Quite a bit bigger than a combo like my Peavey Classic 30.

57AECDAD-C7ED-4D36-9D23-DC294CFD27A7_zps

Two channels, bright, normal, and dark settings. Reverb and Tremolo appear to only work on channel 1.

C56C0C8A-A390-4BA4-9438-3D3B797692F4_zps

interesting grillclothe, similar to Blackface Fender, but with a red undertone to it.

F8C18D18-3A20-486F-99A4-787E36FC7004_zps

B518BAA5-774F-4EFC-9DE5-8AACC3F68A8A_zps

Snazzy red velvet under the nameplate:

A6846549-2BDC-42E9-983D-A18AE342F648_zps

BF1FE1B4-2F46-4B0D-B8EF-1A41D50C2C1F_zps

Great jazz amp, Brian. Congrats!

Looks cool, but can you remind us what's the history with these amps?

Polytones were around in the late 70's and early 80's. They were specifically designed for jazz. Very well made amps with fantastic clean tones.

That thing looks new, congrats Brian. Have you tried to play the chords on the logo panel? D C7 F# C7 ..kinda an odd progression and why is it on the front panel? Hmm.. secret code of some sort? Someone with a guitar handy should try it..

That thing looks new, congrats Brian. Have you tried to play the chords on the logo panel? D C7 F# C7 ..kinda an odd progression and why is it on the front panel? Hmm.. secret code of some sort? Someone with a guitar handy should try it..

And they're written as if they're supposed to be poly-chords: D over C7, F# over C7. Perhaps an oblique accordion reference.

Funny you should mention accordion; According to the REALLY bad Polytoneamps.com website, the founder was a professional accordion player.

I don't know why I keep thinking this will work, but I keep trying to get a half decent recording with my iphone, as it's the only thing I have with video. With half decent speakers, you can at least get an idea of what it sounds like here, compared to my 1967 Fender Pro Reverb. The Polytone had the vibrato on about halfway up on speed and intensity, and the reverb was dialed up a bit; I notice that the reverb springs get a bit "sproingy," not in a good way, when you dig in too hard, or play too loudly. Not sure what's going on with that, but I may just have to use a pedal for reverb if I keep this. Plenty loud and clean, and with a different feel with a 15 inch speaker, closed back, and solid state, compared to the Pro Reverb. It took the Boss Digital Delay pedal fine, didn't do so well with dirt pedals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtV9ONIOLys

I took the back off of the Polytone tonight (thank God for power tools) and saw that this one, like the old one I had, was lined with fiberglass insulation. It had an unmarked 15 inch speaker with 5815186 on the metal frame of the speaker, and 15 14 2 in white paint on the speaker itself. The amp portion itself was enclosed in a painted plywood box. Not much else to see. I don't know what the two tube-looking things are, but are obviously not tubes. Here's the pics.

D0864357-A18F-4F38-8902-4939CE009658_zps

DB215A87-D95A-450A-BAB9-3CC4DD6FC076_zps

D1D71188-9735-4D82-89BC-CBA803E24B90_zps

2E41D126-06BF-4D59-8E97-4A1EA9775B33_zps

A6CD50EC-C300-4B53-856F-51765D8895ED_zps

ADA2FDBB-5B40-4790-9CFA-91809F6D673A_zps

659933E2-C98B-4F5D-90BD-79D2A9A6DC0C_zps

Josh, leave my NADs out of this! :laughing7: The term "keeper" is a tough one for guys like you and me, isn't it?! It will be a "keeper" until I'm on to something else, I'm sure. I am having fun with it for the time being, though, which is what it's really all about.

Josh, leave my NADs out of this! :laughing7: The term "keeper" is a tough one for guys like you and me, isn't it?! It will be a "keeper" until I'm on to something else, I'm sure. I am having fun with it for the time being, though, which is what it's really all about.

Just keeping it Rated PG.... But yep, my bet is going strong, still got my last years NADs myself....

With crappy, rainy weather giving way to a heavy snow storm over the weekend, I holed up in my office with the Polytone, Line 6 POD HD300, and switched between my H-137 and H-150 through a ton of different tones and volumes. The girls were out for about an hour, so it got pretty loud. SS, relatively sterile clean amps like this are great for running modellers like the Line 6 through. Lots of good clean (dirty, chorus-y, reverb-y, delay-y) fun.

Archived