Heritage Owners Club

Maple vs mahogany necks ?

jazzalicious

Marv told me specific and to the point as I was ordering my 555 with a Mahogany neck & rosewood fretboard instead of the at the time standard Maple neck & ebony fretboard 555..... "A lot of people are doing what you ordering, getting a Mahogany neck/rosewood fretboard for more of that classic 335-type tone. So we are going to switch from maple to Mahogany necks and from Ebony to Rosewood fretbords on our semi-hollow body guitars"

I have had both a 555 with a maple neck/Ebony fretboard and my current Custom 555 with a Mahogany neck/rosewood fretboard. I much prefer the Mahogany/rosewood combination neck for a more classic 335-type tone.

But on archtops, where quickness, definition, and a slightly brighter tone will offset the bass from the big body, I prefer Maple necks and Ebony boards.

Do you find the ebony board has more punch ?

How's the sustain on a 555?

Again, guitars will very from guitar to guitar even with the same wood. But the 555 I had with a Maple neck & ebony fretboard just lacked a warm creamy response. It was quicker (you might say punchier) but lack lows & low-mids. I wanted more of a Larry Carlton tone not an Albert King tone, so I custom ordered my 555 with a Mahogany neck & rosewood fretboard like the iconic 335s. I now have the best of everything I was looking for.

The sustain on my 555 & 535 are both wonderful. I ​perceived less sustain on the Maple neck/ Ebony fretboard, but let your own ears be the judge. I know of 2 other HOC members that agree with my perception of Maple vs Mahogany & Ebony vs Rosewood fretboards FOR SEMI-SOLID BODIES & SOLID BODIES.

Again, I love Maple necks & Ebony fretboards (even maple body guitars with ebony fretboards) on other types on guitars (ie Archtops, Acoustic Flattops, ect).

These are my opinions, let your own ears judge when you compare.

maple .necksw/ebony fretboards are quite stable, and dense,they bring more string volume i think, and a brighter more instant note,the mohogony /rosewood combo has a sort of note that blooms,mellower but still very dynamic,,i play with 14 guage strings on most guitars and find the maple neck is hardly at work with the tension,whereas the truss rods on the mahogany neck are working harder. it's all good!

Well, again for my perspective, the maple neck made more of a difference in a brighter, snappier, quicker tone than the ebony fretboard component. I know this because I have a couple of CP Thornton guitars that have a Mahogany neck & ebony fretboard combination and they sound great, much closer to a Mahogany & Rosewood fretboard combination.

Again, just my .02

Thanks

Considering selling my 575 mahogany for one of the 555's that's currently on HOC...

Like upper fret acces

2 pickups

I love my 575 but play/teach everything from Metallica to duke ellington and everything in between and think a really semi will cover all my bases....

Marv told me specific and to the point as I was ordering my 555 with a Mahogany neck & rosewood fretboard instead of the at the time standard Maple neck & ebony fretboard 555..... "A lot of people are doing what you ordering, getting a Mahogany neck/rosewood fretboard for more of that classic 335-type tone. So we are going to switch from maple to Mahogany necks and from Ebony to Rosewood fretbords on our semi-hollow body guitars"

I have had both a 555 with a maple neck/Ebony fretboard and my current Custom 555 with a Mahogany neck/rosewood fretboard. I much prefer the Mahogany/rosewood combination neck for a more classic 335-type tone.

But on archtops, where quickness, definition, and a slightly brighter tone will offset the bass from the big body, I prefer Maple necks and Ebony boards.

This has been my experience too, one thing also to mention though is, IMO multi-piece maple necks are stiffer and less prone to twisting than single piece mahogany necks. That said I like mahogany necks.

Maple and ebony are both expensive, more so than mahogany and rosewood. They are also much harder to work with and much harder on the equipment, think bits and blades here. I can't imagine this was not part of the decision to switch.

Maple and ebony are both expensive, more so than mahogany and rosewood. They are also much harder to work with and much harder on the equipment, think bits and blades here. I can't imagine this was not part of the decision to switch.

Very true and it could have been part of the total reason why they switched, but they still make Maple necks & Ebony Fretboards everyday for their archtops. So it is not like they aren't using Maple/Ebony everyday.

• 2 weeks later...

Ren told me when I called last week that mahogany made the 555 sound a little sweeter than the maple

What a great guy...

Funny, some other guy here on the HOC said the same thing..... What was his name.......

Archived