Heritage Owners Club

3 or 4 compressors to try

gpuma

I've been told the Keeley Compressor is the best there is....

https://robertkeeley.com/product/keeley-4-knob-compressor/

My friend Ryan who is quite the pedal build himself, follows Keely's innovations closely. He told me that one of Keely's life goals is to create a great compressor. The one u posted is not what he feels is his best work. Keely is building a compressor with the feature set of a pro style studio compressor, and he feels it's the culmination of what he was looking for in a pedal compressor. This is the one I'm talking about. I would like to try it.

https://robertkeeley.com/product/keeley-compressor-pro-namm-2015/

If I had to say what are the most critical FX out there for recording, I would put compression and reverb as the number 1 and 2! I couldn't imagine recording an album without compression!!!

My favorite three preamps that I own are my Manley Voxbox, a Drawmer 1960, and the Langevin DVC, and what gives these preamps a good percentage of what I like about them flavor is the integrated compressors!

Manley%20Voxbox.jpg

This compressor is subtle, but you can also use the de-esser as a limiter and it is POWERFUL!

Drawmer%201960.jpg

This was the HARDEST of all my preamps to learn the compressor, but when I found the sweetspot it was PERFECT!

Langevin%20DVC.jpg

Easiest compressor to dial in out of all the preamps, works best when used lightly!

Bass compressor for guitar?

Yep, it just has more features than their regular guitar compressor. And in my opinion they are very useful features. I bought one for my acoustic guitar setup and I was suprised at how versatile it is, and clean! It's nice to be able to vari the attack and release, and have an input threshold adjustment!!!! Plus you get the added benefit of variable compression ratios and and output control to adjust for makeup gain. I tested it out with every electric that I had in my house and I liked it with all of them. The reason they call it a "BASS" compressor is because bass players would be more inclined to use all the variable features as they would in a recording studio. But if you read their literature you would see that they tested it with acoustic guitars, better yet, here is the quote from the MXR/Dunlop blog...

A compressor is a very subtle device and is more for an experienced player. The “effect” a lot of the time can be felt by the player more than heard. Originally designed for bass, we found during early testing that the M87 sounded fantastic on electric as well as acoustic guitars. You can go from subtle transparency to over the top squish and bloom.

Never used a compressor, always wondered what it would do though...

If you have overdriven an amp or used an OD pedal (which you have) than you have used a compressor.

Never used a compressor, always wondered what it would do though...

Kuz said, If you have overdriven an amp or used an OD pedal (which you have) than you have used a compressor.

This is oversimplified and overdriven amps do compress a signal, but it is not with any control, and not all OD pedals use compression.

A true compressor has the ability to tailor the amount of compression. Compressors help a signal sit in a mix by keeping the dynamic

range of that signal within a certain set of parameters. Also, like many effects, in there extreme ranges, they can be used to musical effect.

The way the controls of compressor works...

Threshold - sets the amount of input signal the compressor needs to turn on. For example if set to -10db, the compressor won't turn on until the input

hit's -10db.

Attack - sets how fast the compressor turns on when the signal hit's the threshold, it's is expressed in milliseconds. Faster attack times are very

effective in clamping signals, whereas slower times allow a little of the initial signal to pass through before attenuation. Sometime allowing a

little of the initial signal to pass through helps to keep the compressed signal a bit more natural sounding.

Release - also expressed in milliseconds, the release sets how long the compressor holds the compressed signal after it turns on, longer times typically

sound less natural, but help the note bloom and aid in sustain. The classic Nashville style Telecaster compressor swell is typically a fast attack

with a long release.

Ratio - the ratio determines the amount of compression and it works like this. It is expressed as a dB ratio which signifies how much of the signal will

get through to the output. For example a 4:1 ratio would mean for every 4db that goes over the set threshold, only 1 db would hit the output

of the compressor. Or a 3:1 ratio would be for every 3 db that goes over the set threshold it only go up 1 db at the output . Let's say that

your digital recorder distorts badly if the signal goes over 0db. Well if you're playing your guitar and the threshold is set for -2 db with a 4:1

ratio and you just happen to accidently hit your guitar too hard and your coming off your guitar is +2 db well since that signal is 4db over the

set threshold, after compression, the output at the compressor would be -1db, and the compressor would have kept your recording from going

over the 0db distortion point.

output - sometimes called makeup gain, this control allows you to raise the compressed signal to the level you want it. A heavily compressed signal

will usually have a substantial drop in volume so you can raise the level to sit better in the mix.

Thanks for explanation Daniel, I was just trying to give Josh the most simplistic explanation of what compression sounds like. I have used compressors in the past, and I must admit that I also find them a bit intimidating with all the different controls. I would like to get a compression pedal for when I play clean chimey stuff on my electrics.

I actually use a compressor to kill off some of the dynamics and make the sound less chimey and more fuller/thicker.

I tried quite a few but Im embarrassed to say I ended up using a line 6 compressor at tha time. It seemed to excel at wiping out any dynamics :) It just worked with the amp and pedals I was using and did what I was trying to achieve. It dicked with the power and made noise if it wasnt on its own power supply.

If I was trying to acheive something else it wouldnt have made it probably. I have kept it.

Ah, so its best used to keep a recording system from overloading and to level out clean recordings....

It works great for that. The compressor really helps the track sit in the mix so your'e not having to ride the faders during mixdown as much. But,

it is great for the live player too. Yesterday I was telling Dogboy how to use a compressor after a overdrive/distortion pedal to help the overall

volume and sound. This is what I like to do. I've noticed that my Fulldrive II pedal only really sings with it's volume and overdrive knobs cracked

at least 3/4 of their way. I'm using that pedal to get slide guitar sustain so it needs to be singing. Well if I kicked on Fulldrive with those settings

at one of my club kicks I would be blowing people out of the room. I use compression after the pedal to keep the volume of the Fulldrive

manageable. I also use a compressor and a slapback delay together to get some great rockabilly style tone. I set the compressor with a

fast attack and slow release and 4:1 ratio and the threshold set to turn on as soon as I get aggressive with my guitar, and the delay is set

to one repeat, a 50/50 mix, and a delay time from 80 to 120 milliseconds. Those two pedal together are GREAT! And the ways Gio and Jeff

are using the pedal are classic examples of the ways to use a compressor. What Jeff Is doing is using a low threshold (to have the comp

stay on), a fast attack (to make sure to not let any of the uneffected signal through), a medium release, a high ratio (4:1 of higher to limit the

dynamic range of the signal), and a lot of makeup gain to make up for how much he squished the signal. That way his guitar stays FAT and

is less peaky. For Gio's strumming It would be a slightly higher threshold (set high enough so the compressor would only turn on if Gio hits

the strings a little too aggressive), a fast attack, fast to medium release, and 2:1 to 3:1 ratio , and just a bit of makeup gain.

They key to using a compressor effectively is KNOWING what each control does, and making them work together! Yes you can set them

by ear on a 2 knob compressor like a DYNACOMP, but with all the controls available on some of these higher end boxes, a compressor,

after learning how to use it, is one of the most useful effects around! And like overdrives, different compressors have different signature

sounds. Just ask any knowledgeable studio engineer about his favorite compressors and I guarantee he/she will wax poetic.

I picked up a Route 66 pedal a few weeks ago. Combination OD and Compressor. I've spent some time this past weekend trying to figure out how to best set this thing up. The OD in the pedal is post compressor, then I've got the Zenclone sitting precompressor, along with the Tubescreamer. Way too many ways to screw things up, but its seems like I'll be setting up different OD pedals for different guitars. That helps a bit with the varying outputs of the single coils vs the humbuckers.

It was fun setting up some really LONG singing leads Saturday. It wasn't really loud, but it would sustain for a good 10 or 15 seconds on a note, a lot like you get with real feedback sustain, perfect for a little White Room.

I recently picked up an Earthquaker Devices Warden compressor. It has taken me a while to tweak it to my preference, now that it's dialed in it the best that I've played through.

It's an optical compressor so it's not the most transparent, but it's very musical.

Thanks for explanation Daniel, I was just trying to give Josh the most simplistic explanation of what compression sounds like. I have used compressors in the past, and I must admit that I also find them a bit intimidating with all the different controls. I would like to get a compression pedal for when I play clean chimey stuff on my electrics.

John, that is exactly what I use a compressor for and it is really well worth having. I am new to using pedals, having used just the guitar and amp for years. I often use my Compressor pedal in conjunction with a Marshall Reflector (reverb) pedal and it's a great combination. I also like the fact that I can set the compressor to be louder than the standard chanel when I turn it on, giving a bit of a boost if I need it to. Same with the reverb pedal. I really like having a compressor to play through.

Archived