Heritage Owners Club

More about Low Wattage Amps

After playing TalismanRich's Princeton Clone, I was floored at its tone and volume. Just amazing stuff. So I have been looking around....

Found several kits that can go from $150 to $700 depending on the cabinet, tubes, chassis, and iron...

Then I stumbled on a few other "options". Still point to point, hand wired stuff. But rather inexpensive, but I don't have to do anything but click a button and have it delivered ready to go...

First is Panama Amps, I found them in an article from Reverb...

The amp that caught my eye was a Conqueror 5. Cost is $349 for a head and $399 for a combo

Specs:

Wattage 5W Input(s) 1 Channels 1 Valves (1) 12AX7 preamp tube (1) 6V6 power tube (1) 7-pin miniature 6z4 rectifier Speaker (Combo) Panama AV30 or Fauxnico Series Mellow Speaker Out (Head) 4 - 16 ohms Adv. Electronics Built-in Attenuator Dimensions 18 x 12.75 x 18" (Combo) / 18.5 x 10 x 11" (Head) Weight 41 lbs (Combo) / 23 lbs (Head) Part # PGA-CONQ5 / PGA-CONQ5H Warranty 5 Years

Next amp I found was a Sonic Pipe Amps Classic 5 for $349

Single-ended Class A Design

Volume and Tone Controls

6V6 Power

12AX7 Preamp

6Z4 Recifiier

8" Celestion

Tweed cabinet from 18MM pine

Both seem rather interesting.... and cheap....

Wonder if they are worth it???

Have you ever played a Ibanez TS15H? It's a basic 5W-15W amp with 2 6L6s and a couple of 12AX7s with their tube screamer circuitry built in. It also has a boost. The tube screamer and boost are foot switchable. I picked one up used for $200 a few weeks back. I have the head version. I tried their combo and I didnt like it,,, very noisy IMO. But the head is solid. I've been using it for beach gigs and rehearsals.

After playing TalismanRich's Princeton Clone, I was floored at its tone and volume. Just amazing stuff. So I have been looking around....

Found several kits that can go from $150 to $700 depending on the cabinet, tubes, chassis, and iron...

Then I stumbled on a few other "options". Still point to point, hand wired stuff. But rather inexpensive, but I don't have to do anything but click a button and have it delivered ready to go...

First is Panama Amps, I found them in an article from Reverb...

The amp that caught my eye was a Conqueror 5. Cost is $349 for a head and $399 for a combo

Specs:

Wattage 5W Input(s) 1 Channels 1 Valves (1) 12AX7 preamp tube (1) 6V6 power tube (1) 7-pin miniature 6z4 rectifier Speaker (Combo) Panama AV30 or Fauxnico Series Mellow Speaker Out (Head) 4 - 16 ohms Adv. Electronics Built-in Attenuator Dimensions 18 x 12.75 x 18" (Combo) / 18.5 x 10 x 11" (Head) Weight 41 lbs (Combo) / 23 lbs (Head) Part # PGA-CONQ5 / PGA-CONQ5H Warranty 5 Years

Next amp I found was a Sonic Pipe Amps Classic 5 for $349

Single-ended Class A Design

Volume and Tone Controls

6V6 Power

12AX7 Preamp

6Z4 Recifiier

8" Celestion

Tweed cabinet from 18MM pine

Both seem rather interesting.... and cheap....!?

Wonder if they are worth it???

I was checking those Sonic Pipe amps a few weeks ago. The only thing I was weary of, is the use of a 6Z4 rectifier. There aren't many options out there for replacements. The only one that I was able to find is a SIno (Chinese made). I'd be concerned with the reliability of the rectifier tube. Just can't understand why they didn't go with the usual 5Y3 you'd find in a Champ circuit?!

If I remember Rich's link to his amp, that's a $1100 custom-made piece.

I seriously doubt something for $349 is going to be comparable.

Yes, the 1164 is $1100. Frankly, I was impressed that the little 10" Jenson put out that much volume. The Ampshop has a tweed Champ clone which is $700, and the 5E3 is $1000.

Josh, I would talk to KBP and see what he can whip up. The Princeton was the right one for me because I wanted reverb, and the trem circuit, although on the PR its rather weak unless you either mod a resistor, or drop the bias. If you get it set just right, it puts a nice light wobble to your sound.

Yes, the 1164 is $1100. Frankly, I was impressed that the little 10" Jenson put out that much volume. The Ampshop has a tweed Champ clone which is $700, and the 5E3 is $1000.

Josh, I would talk to KBP and see what he can whip up. The Princeton was the right one for me because I wanted reverb, and the trem circuit, although on the PR its rather weak unless you either mod a resistor, or drop the bias. If you get it set just right, it puts a nice light wobble to your sound.

That's why I was looking at kits. I can ask Brian to help, but I'd like to try on my own first.

Have you ever played a Ibanez TS15H? It's a basic 5W-15W amp with 2 6L6s and a couple of 12AX7s with their tube screamer circuitry built in. It also has a boost. The tube screamer and boost are foot switchable. I picked one up used for $200 a few weeks back. I have the head version. I tried their combo and I didnt like it,,, very noisy IMO. But the head is solid. I've been using it for beach gigs and rehearsals.

Yes. These sound really good (I definitely prefer the tone at 15 watts to the 5 watt setting). I picked mine up for $200, too, and swapping out the cheap tubes made it sound even better. Here, it's connected to a home made 1X12 cab loaded with a Peavey Blue Marvel, of all things. Don't laugh, it rockds! Sometimes I hook it up to the cab with a Celestion, but either sound quite righteous, especially without the Tube Screamer engaged, and the boost on. Still, it's not boutique....

B2C5AB9A-C471-4BF7-8099-D9022AB9E767_zps

....I'm fortunate enough to be one of a handful of guys who had Brian, KBP810, build a 5E3 clone for me. When you want Rock and Roll snottiness in a very loud low wattage amp, this is the ticket. Of course, you know this, Josh, being his friend, but I still want to show off my amp! If I ever get another nice amp, it's going to be a Princeton clone.

F1F7EBBA-FABE-41AE-AC17-85AD386F507A_zps

Yes. These sound really good (I definitely prefer the tone at 15 watts to the 5 watt setting). I picked mine up for $200, too, and swapping out the cheap tubes made it sound even better. Here, it's connected to a home made 1X12 cab loaded with a Peavey Blue Marvel, of all things. Don't laugh, it rockds! Sometimes I hook it up to the cab with a Celestion, but either sound quite righteous, especially without the Tube Screamer engaged, and the boost on. Still, it's not boutique....

B2C5AB9A-C471-4BF7-8099-D9022AB9E767_zps

....I'm fortunate enough to be one of a handful of guys who had Brian, KBP810, build a 5E3 clone for me. When you want Rock and Roll snottiness in a very loud low wattage amp, this is the ticket. Of course, you know this, Josh, being his friend, but I still want to show off my amp! If I ever get another nice amp, it's going to be a Princeton clone.

F1F7EBBA-FABE-41AE-AC17-85AD386F507A_zps

Princeton just adds 'Verb and Tremolo right?

If I remember Rich's link to his amp, that's a $1100 custom-made piece.

I seriously doubt something for $349 is going to be comparable.

This exactly..... times a million!!! You pay for what you get.

• 4 weeks later...

I saw Don Felder (former lead guitar player for the Eagles) live last Saturday. He was using one Fender Deluxe reissue (blackface), with a hot spare next to it. We were in the front row, so we heard the guitar amp directly (couldn't hear the keyboard, oh well) rather than through the PA.

It was FANTASTIC, his tone that simple amp. He used a pedal maybe three times in the whole 90 minutes. Guitars were a newish Strat, his '59 reissue LP (about 70% of the time), and then for HC, out came the EDS-1275 reissue. Oh yea, he has an original LP from 225 Parsons Street 1959, as heard on the HC recording. Wonder if Marv rolled the neck?

Just amazing playing and tone, highly recommended if you get the opportunity to see him.

A link:

http://www.guitarworld.com/dear-guitar-hero-don-felder-answers-readers-questions-about-gear-eagles-and-more

I saw Don Felder (former lead guitar player for the Eagles) live last Saturday. He was using one Fender Deluxe reissue (blackface), with a hot spare next to it. We were in the front row, so we heard the guitar amp directly (couldn't hear the keyboard, oh well) rather than through the PA. It was FANTASTIC, his tone that simple amp. He used a pedal maybe three times in the whole 90 minutes. Guitars were a newish Strat, his '59 reissue LP (about 70% of the time), and then for HC, out came the EDS-1275 reissue. Oh yea, he has an original LP from 225 Parsons Street 1959, as heard on the HC recording. Wonder if Marv rolled the neck? Just amazing playing and tone, highly recommended if you get the opportunity to see him. A link: http://www.guitarworld.com/dear-guitar-hero-don-felder-answers-readers-questions-about-gear-eagles-and-more

The DRRI is a great amp. I used one for 10 years. Low wattage amps in general are under rated. I have three 1x12 combos of 14, 18, and 28 watts in Tweed, Marshall, and Blackface flavors respectively. While I still lust over bigger amps ('cause that's what we do) I can't think of a single instance where the current stable wouldn't take care of my needs. If I ever do a stadium show I may need to rethink that.....

My fav low wattage amp is the Germino Masonette. its basically a 2x6v6 Plexi Marshall. I sold my 1x12 and miss it. Great for band or woodshedding situations.

I recently picked up a Mesa Lonestar Special which is switchable between 5W/15W/30W.

The 5W setting is remarkably useful and can facilitate just about anything from the couch to the club.

I would highly recommend this amp to anyone!

Archived