Heritage Owners Club

When you know it's right!

Kuz

Granted - good point, John.  Teles wouldn't seem to require the craftsmanship that a good archtop/set neck takes.  I just like Teles - they're a great/proven design.  Sound... wonderful!!  Would love to have a Heritage "Tele" (H 101 - 'cause it's where ya start w/solid bodies, no disrespect to Mr Paul) added to my personal Heritage lineup.  Okay, maybe add vintage and sunset 'burst to the color selection...  NOW will you sign my petition?  6105 wire, use Ren's compound neck radius profile, forget that relic stuff, just get the neck nice and 'edge rounded' for that smooth worn in feel.  And get 'The Heritage' on the headstock!

An excuse to get another Heritage, custom made to my spec, wood, & color,... ah...  YEA, SURE I"M IN!

Hey they did listen to me with the "535 Lollar p-90" (1st of production), so ya never know. Get a writing Randy!

Seriously, I don't think Heritage should be screwing around with Fender-ish designs. That's not their strong suit, and it doesn't tie in with their 'heritage.' If you want a Heritage-like Fender-ish design, then look no further than G&L. Absolutely, hands down, the finest value in Fender-style guitars. They aren't clones of Fender designs, but refinements of the classics...Leo Fender never stopped innovating. That PTB circuit and mini-switch on my (dearly departed) Comanche was the bees knees!

Seriously, I don't think Heritage should be screwing around with Fender-ish designs. That's not their strong suit, and it doesn't tie in with their 'heritage.' If you want a Heritage-like Fender-ish design, then look no further than G&L. Absolutely, hands down, the finest value in Fender-style guitars. They aren't clones of Fender designs, but refinements of the classics...Leo Fender never stopped innovating. That PTB circuit and mini-switch on my (dearly departed) Comanche was the bees knees!

Party pooper! :P

i agree

look what happend to the SAE..

Fair enough - and I've thought that, too (even posted it here in some other thread).  They've had bolt on neck and 'fenderish' designs that haven't fared well (is that the SAE?, thought that was a Millie that's doing fairly well?) as proof of that theorem.  The stat/other kinda-fender that Heritage has offered while borrowing on those designs have looked more shredder/rock in design approach and certainly nothing wrong with that, but not quite hitting in the strat or tele pocket...

And it's not that I can't go check out Dave's and find a nice Tele there any time (on my list of things to do) or even explore the GL line (which I haven't, although think it was southpaw that had a really killer looking GL tele w/f-hole).  Still, doesn't lesson my desire for a nice tele design made by Marv/Ren/Curly/Katie/etc.  But, I understand that it's an investment since they're not set up to run that style and I do agree that it doesn't fall in line with their heritage lineage/story... that's probably the best reason to avoid 'em. 

The best reason to do 'em?... a LOT of players that play semi-hollow 335-style play teles as the 'compliment' (or vice-versa) - good sonic mates.  And of course current Heritage owners are potential customers for this style model to compliment their solid/semi/hollow body boxes.  I'm in both camps, so if they build it, I'll buy one...  well, okay, I'll buy 2 (the one you don't buy, Dick - I know Brent would cave so I won't have to buy his, too  8)

Now that I think about it, Randy, Heritage did build a tele-style (or shaped, anyway) guitar at one time. My recollection is that Brent owned one but sold it on. Maybe he can post pics, or a model number, or perhaps give you a lead on where that one went...maybe you could bring it back into the fold! :)

Now that I think about it, Randy, Heritage did build a tele-style (or shaped, anyway) guitar at one time. My recollection is that Brent owned one but sold it on. Maybe he can post pics, or a model number, or perhaps give you a lead on where that one went...maybe you could bring it back into the fold! :)

Thiery's (sp?) son Kyle has one. Or more accurately, Thiery had one and Kyle plays it. It was there at the Pilgrimage. Nice looking guitar, too. So, all the boys would need to do is resurrect this one, add more Tele appropriate appointments and voila! -- we have our Heritage Tele back in production. They may even have the template left and could custom build one. Maybe we could do a club order. ???

look what happend to the SAE..

BB, from what I got at the Pilgrimage, once they started adding the preamp to the SAE's that system worked very well. For me, unfortunately, my Millie SAE does not have the preamp. Renders it useless for the acoustic side. However, Ren says it'd be killer if I set it up for synth access.  >:D  Personally, tho', I'd like to have one of those new NanoMag pickups that goes in the 22nd fret. I've played one of the Epi's with that setup and it sounds very good.

I remember that model - I think - and it had kind of a tele shape although I recall it had 2 humbuckers in it, TOM style bridge, etc?  I'm 'picturing' a much more classic take on one...

Oh, Kenny hi-lited it while I was typing.  Yup, that's the one I was thinking of - Thierry's.  Yeh, that's pretty close for body shape...  a few things to alter/specify to turn it into  'tele'.

Thiery's (sp?) son Kyle has one. Or more accurately, Thiery had one and Kyle plays it. It was there at the Pilgrimage. Nice looking guitar, too. So, all the boys would need to do is resurrect this one, add more Tele appropriate appointments and voila! -- we have our Heritage Tele back in production. They may even have the template left and could custom build one. Maybe we could do a club order. ???

That's right! I forgot about Thierry/Kyle's guitar. Every time I see a picture from the PSP, it brings back some great memories. If the price wasn't astronomical, I would consider buying in, but it would have to be a more traditionally appointed tele-style...lipstick pickup and single coil, ashtray cover, &c. But, why would Heritage do it?

I remember that model - I think - and it had kind of a tele shape although I recall it had 2 humbuckers in it, TOM style bridge, etc?  I'm 'picturing' a much more classic take on one...

Oh, Kenny hi-lited it while I was typing.  Yup, that's the one I was thinking of - Thierry's.  Yeh, that's pretty close for body shape...  a few things to alter/specify to turn it into  'tele'.

I wonder if they would build you one custom order. Call your dealer...call your dealer...call your....

heh.

So as one completely unfamiliar with G&L - what model(s) should I look at for vintage-vibe teles?

Hmmmm....  I don't know that G&L is about "vintage vibe." I think of G&L planks as what the now "vintage" sticks were when they were brand spankin' new, that is to say instruments which are well made with quality materials; play well first time out of the case; they're shiny new in cool finishes; they come with built-in desireable tone; they're consistent in quality; and you don't pay through the nose for one.  They are, in short, affordable players.  They're not about re-creating anything in the same way Heritage is not about re-creating anything.  They are just what they are; my Legacy is everything I want in a Strat-type (multi single-coil) guitar: sweet and warm neck p'up, brittle and twangy bridge p'up, and all that funky out-of-phase stuff in between, all attached to a great neck.  The ASAT, ditto in its relationship to what the original Tele's were...the ultimate less-is-more solid body electric.

Ah, thanks Rob.  ASAT - that's the designation for teles, then.  I just looked at the GL website and see what you mean.  The pickup designs are unfamiliar to me, but given the accolades they receive from you and others I'll need to try them out.  A guitar player-mate has one, although I think it's an imported version.  It's okay, although I can see there are some components that could be upgraded.  The Bluesboy semi looks nice on their site...  I'll need to look around.  I've a '77 franken-tele and it's great...  no, it's awesome...  I lucked into this guitar earlier this year and it's a tone monster.  But I would like a more traditional tele as well. 

Note, non of this discussion is reducing my desire for a tele built by Heritage-hands, tho  8) 8) 8)  :rolleyes

Current hammer:

width=360 height=480http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh237/fxdx99/tele3.jpg[/img]

H 127

mine went to China, to a collector...it was a cool guitar, but i wish it would have been a hardtail

Yeah, Randy, and I forgot to mention that they have a made in USA line and and import line, the designation of which is, I think, "Tribute."  Note the difference.  I haven't played any of the "Tribute" guitars, so I can't speak to them.  Both my ASAT and Legacy are a little older, made in the USA guitars.  I have a '52 re-ish Fender Tele and the ASAT Classic.  Both are maple boards.  The p'ups, though similar, do differ a bit in character.  The Fender, of course, is classic Tele.  The ASAT is clearly Tele but with an attitude.  I think the G&L p'ups are hotter with a more "ballsy" mid.  I usually play the Fender with my blues band, but when I want to sound...I don't know..."pissed off"...when I really want to open up the Vibrolux through the Marshall cab, the ASAT is the weapon of choice!

I'll take one of those,that Kyle is playing,with a pair of Lollar mini-buckers or P90's !!

So as one completely unfamiliar with G&L - what model(s) should I look at for vintage-vibe teles?

How about the ASAT Classic "S" ?

Classic Tele styling with some very subtle improvements.

Three MFD pickups, 5 way strat switching with a push pull pot to combine the neck and bridge pickup, swamp ash body with "belly" cut.

Jay Wolfe has a few in stock. This one is a looker ...

photo1_9452d.jpg

Photo3_88ead.jpg

.... oh and I did ask, they won't make it in lefty, not even for a custom order  :'(

So what's the secret code for identifying an ASAT that's made in the US versus the import line?  I thought it was the Tribute designator, but looking thru Wolfe's inventory it seems the description 'ASAT' is used and the US version says 'call for price' with the imports in the 5-7 hundred range...

US made G&L's NEVER have the Tribute designation.  All of the imported Tributes are clearly marked on their headstocks.

The good news is that G&L uses the exact same pickups in their imports as well as their US made models.

I'd go for a nice used US made G&L since that is the best value as well as higher resale value.

US made G&L's NEVER have the Tribute designation.  All of the imported Tributes are clearly marked on their headstocks.

On mine the Tribute badge is very dominant on the headstock. On the newer versions its very very very tiny and not as obvious. I played a Tribute the other day and thought it was an ASAT at first. Didn't feel quite right, so that is when I looked harder for the Tribute sticker.

Archived