Heritage Owners Club

As a former and future Heritage owner some of the dealers out there are ruining the experience

deytookerjaabs

If I'm going to gripe, doggonit I'm going throw myself right into the wolf pack! But, I do so with ALL DUE RESPECT.

Okay, I've owned a few (but purchased used) Heritage guitars in the past, H550, 89' H150, H147, but am now looking at a new purchase.

Why not? Support a great domestic brand who builds guitars their way with an admirable level of stubbornness concerning quality.

The problem? Old school rude or just immature dealers who are clueless about customer service and pricing models. In my opinion, if you sell a >$2,000 item you should AT THE LEAST do so as well as the fella selling $2 hot dogs down the street.

I won't name names here, and I'm not looking for dealer offers but I'll throw out a couple experiences.

One dealer I call, say I'd like to make an offer and get a description..."Owner isn't here, what's your #, he'll call you back." Leave number and email, never hear a thing. Okay, no big deal. But, it was obvious that the guy felt I and everyone else in the world was wasting his time by even calling.

Another dealer, item listed online at a good price and after asking a simple question I make an offer $150 below asking price, because, it's listed with "or best offer" and mine was the first offer after months of the guitar being listed online. I send a message too "10% discount for first time buyer? :) " In 5 minutes I don't get a counter offer, or even a message saying why they can't take a best offer, I get the offer straight up declined with the message "maybe a discount for second purchase." Damn, sorry I made an offer, if the guy simply replied "hey, I won't make much on the original price" I'd have understood and purchased the guitar anyways because it met the criteria I was looking for.

Then, another dealer you look at lists a good price with "Case sold separately, $105." I mean, is this a used Opel car lot in Bangladesh??? Just list it at $100 more and don't pull some shady move like that, totally juvenile approach for something that's almost two thousand dollars.

The bottom line is, even in Chicago you can't find a plethora of new Heritage guitars in person. One place will have two or three, same thing with the other place, etc.... (I gave lessons at a shop that dealt Heritage for a short time too, but we never had a bad attitude in the building) so selling online is a NECESSITY! Yet, these guys act like they're sitting on gold and the customer should be lucky enough to even spend their hard earned cash with them.

Okay, rant over.

:)

Day Toker,

The founders / owners are in their mid seventies so get one or two keeper heritage guitars while you can. Order custom for your choice of color, neck carve, hardware and wood package and enjoy the experience. Be kind to the retail sales guys too, they are trying to make a living like most of us.

When I read the title of this thread, I thought we found out who bought The Heritage Guitar Company!! :icon_scratch::icon_smile:

Anyway, since you aren't buying the old Gibson-turned-Heritage Kalamazoo shop, and are looking for a new custom order guitar, here's my 2 cents. Do like the old Smokey Robinson song says, "You Better Shop Around"...and get the best service and price you can.

I've bought several Heritage guitars from a VERY large Heritage dealer, and ordered a custom instrument from a VERY small Heritage dealer (in your State). The service was stellar at both shops...for me. Also, I've bought/sold used Heritages from small shops as well as a couple of our own HOC Heritage dealers. Great transactions all around.

So, my advice is to continue your search. Most folks are decent. But you've got to find a dealer that respects your investment. If you get treated badly, just say 'Bye Bye' and take your hard earned money down the road...or across the internet.

Good hunting and Welcome to the HOC!!

So, my advice is to continue your search. Most folks are decent. But you've got to find a dealer that respects your investment. If you get treated badly, just say 'Bye Bye' and take your hard earned money down the road...or across the internet.

Good hunting and Welcome to the HOC!!

Gitfiddler is right on the money. If the internet has done anything, its opened up the shopping market. In the old days ( say...50 years ago), you got the 5 or 6 stores in your area, and if you were traveling, you might find a few stores in neighboring cities. Maybe an ad in a music magazine would lead to a call about "mail order". You took what you could find and you were thrilled to have it.

I ordered my first Heritage some 13 years ago from a old schoolmate who owns a music store. I still stop in, have gotten 3 guitars from his shop. If I had it to do over, I would probably order from him again, but I would know a lot more about what I could do, and I would probably get a couple of bids and ask him if he could come close to the pricing.

Heritage dealers aren't like GuitarCenter or Sam Ash. They can be rare in lots of areas of the country (sounds like you're lucky to have some close by). Find a dealer you're comfortable with, talk to him, get your order in. Hopefully you can find a local guy that appreciates your business. If not, there are several here who will gladly work with you to get you just what you want.

BTW, love the name!

Thanks for the advice fellas! One problem with the best local dealer in Chicago is, um, well, sadly, no matter how good they do on the price we have 10% sales tax. So, if one of you guys called them up you'd get a deal but even at 2K that's a $200 ding for me as opposed to just hitting that button online.

I will say, I'm not crazy picky, I do like to know the weight and I'm not too into ornate/flamey finishes but overall the different neck carves I have no issue with seeing as the frets are usually the same profile. I might actually pop into the local store this week and see what the best they can do is with tax included.

Add to that, I still like the one I had a rudely declined offer on and am having an internal debate on whether or not to purchase it.

That 89 and 147 are both amazing pieces you never should have sold!

My 2 Cents.

Honestly, at the time I sold those guitars resale value for a Heritage was still fairly rock bottom. I think I bought both around the $500 mark and just figured if I wanted another one I could find it at a great price.

In the past decade the resale value has just taken a total 180, another reason we can thank the internet!

Archived