Heritage Owners Club

Great PAF set for H150

romk

Hi there, mates! Can't help sharing my joy with the club. Having my H150 for decade I have tried some pickups in an eternal chase for tone. All of them worked good more or less. Maybe only the stock Schallers were no good to my taste. Now I feel that I've reached the finish line, at least as far as pickups are concerned. The set I'm totally satisfied with now is the Sheptone Tribute. I bought them second hand but almost without signs of being used and yet for a fair price. These are definitely worth of trying if you are searching for PAFs.I'll post the picture in a while.

It's great that you found a favorite pickup for your 150. I agree about Sheptone PAF Tributes, they are a great sounding PAF. They have a nice clarity and can be versatile from clean to a nice growl when in overdrive.

I've got a set in my 157 and like them as much as you do.

I've never played a Sheptone but from what I hear from the web, it seems a great Paf! Also I am starting the search for the Holy Grail PAF; the more I search around, the more I discover new wonderful versions, but it' s difficult to have a true opinion, because you should test them with the same gear (best if your own). So finally I decided to buy a second hand ReWind Low Output, good price and good sound (at least I hope so...) . Sheptone are Alnico 5, isn'it? What about output values?

The Tribute set uses rough finished Alnico 5 (degaussed) magnets, using 57-58 spec 42 Enamel. Resistance may vary from set to set but typically 8.0k bridge and 7.6k neck.

I just bought another pickup recently, but not installed yet, that claimed a particular tone due to the rough finished A-5 magnets.

Thanks! Forgive my ignorance but does the Alnico 5 alwys mean more power and more "aggressive" sound or it all depends on different factors? The original Paf (the older one) was Alnico 2, isn'it?

Its been said that Gibson used "whatever was available" at time including Alnico 2, 4 and 5. By the ratings, 4 is the weakest, followed by 3, 2 and 5. Around 63-65, they standardized on Alnico V and they became Patent Number pickups. Standardization wasn' the watchword. Remember, they weren't making "boutique" pickups, they were making commercial humbucking pickups as quickly and cheaply as possible. I would guess that any of the current PAFs will be more consistent from unit to unit. The differences in voicing will be determined by the choices the designer made.

Thanks! Forgive my ignorance but does the Alnico 5 alwys mean more power and more "aggressive" sound or it all depends on different factors? The original Paf (the older one) was Alnico 2, isn'it?

It varies on a lot of different factors. There really is no standard to the PAF. Gibson used whatever magnets were available. I prefer alnico 4 pickups. But I've played alnico 2 and 5 pickups that were fantastic.

Romk

The easiest way to add a picture is to post it to a picture sharing site, like Photobucket. As an alernative, you can post it in the members gallery ( Click Here for Members Gallery ).

It is best to resize the pictures to something moderate, like 800 x 600 or 1024 x 768. Using very high resolutions make for big files which aren't needed in a forum

Once you get your picture posted in the gallery, you will be able to right click on it and choose Copy Image Location. While posting your message, you can click on the little picture frame icon below the smiley face. Paste the image location in text box and the image will show up.

Posting%20in%20HOC.jpg

We look forward to seeing your H150!

By the end of the week I will have the HRW on my H-150 changed with Ox4 PAF pickups. The HRW are very good pickups, but with too many highs for my taste, expecially the bridge pup. It makes sound my H-150 almost like a "big" telecaster. I would like to have a more "traditional" sound, and the OX4 have some impressive reviews as PAF replicas. I manged to find them used, so also the price was very good.

As soon as they will be installed, I will let you know my impressions.

+1 on Sheptone Tributes. As time progresses and the Boutique pickup field continues to flood unabated, Sheptones seem to receive less mention than they once did. I chose them several years ago now for my 535, and haven't regretted it for a second.

Jeff does a nice job on the aging as will, IMHO

P1130336-1-.jpg

I think it's a antique sunburst, however if you open the little door on the back of the guitar(the one that covers the electric circuit) you should discover the true colour. My h150 is very similar to your guitar, and upon my paper they wrote ASB (antique sunburst).

I think it's a antique sunburst, however if you open the little door on the back of the guitar(the one that covers the electric circuit) you should discover the true colour. My h150 is very similar to your guitar, and upon my paper they wrote ASB (antique sunburst).

ASB most likely means Almond Sun Burst. Does your label spell it out or just have initials?

yes it is, that's romk's H150

maybe one day I'll own one :)

Don't worry, here in Italy you can find them and they have quite low prices. For example, I bought my black H150 classic with HRW for 1250€, and a shop near Reggio Emilia had a H 150 sunburst for 1350€, in mint conditions. It's a pity they already sold it.

Tomorrow morning I will have the pups changed, hope I will get a more "classic" paf sound.

Don't worry, here in Italy you can find them and they have quite low prices. For example, I bought my black H150 classic with HRW for 1250€, and a shop near Reggio Emilia had a H 150 sunburst for 1350€, in mint conditions. It's a pity they already sold it.

Tomorrow morning I will have the pups changed, hope I will get a more "classic" paf sound.

Ciao :-)

I know, there are good deals around :)

enjoy your H150 and....share some pics ;-)

p.s.

would you be so kind to PM me the name of the shop in RE?

The Ox4 pups sound just great. All that midrange bite that you are expecting from a classic paf plus an incredible note separation, even with the neck pickup. Quite expensive, but well worth the cost.

Just as a side note, the original installed HRW are great, but too hi-fi and crystal clear for a solid body, imho. The will probably sound amazing on a semi-acustic

• 4 weeks later...

Watched the Doug and Pat Show on YouTube of one of their pickup shootouts. They played a set of Buzztone 57 PAF's thru a '94 H150 that I thought sounded really good. I'm thinking of ordering a set. They cost $85 for each Humbucker At http://thebuzztone.com/product/57-paf-neck/ . The guy must be new because I couldn't find any info anywhere but what I saw on the Doug and Pat Show.

Archived