Heritage Owners Club

Road trip!

kbp810

Just a little back story on the day.

KBP810 showed up as punctual as ever, 7:30a to be precise.

We started to take the usual route, but the two seasons of Michigan altered our plans. You know the seasons... Winter and Road Construction.

Our first route of freeways was completely closed (I-275), so another alternate route was chosen. I-96 to US23.

But US 23 closed in Ann Arbor.

Another Detour, this time of Downtown Ann Arbor.

Road Construction and more road construction in Ann Arbor turning several two way streets into 1 way streets.

Eventually, our scenic tour ended in Ann Arbor and we found our way to I-94.

Most of the remaining two hours in the truck were uneventful.

We did stop in Jackson to silence our growling stomachs halfway to Kalamazoo. By pure chance, we ended up at the same location I met Brent a couple years ago to purchase his repaired '96 Gibson LP Standard. Must be a good sign.

From there, our directions led us to downtown Kalamazoo. But the street the nav system told us to turn on was the same as the Amtrak Train Station which happened to have a train there unloaded and loading passengers... After waiting for what seemed like forever, we took a different route; finally three and 1/2 hours later since beginning our road trip, a familiar building came into sight.

225 Parsons Street.

Our destination was finally at hand.....

EB15AA65-D50D-496F-AC8C-D0E2BDF9177B_zps

The inside was nearly unrecognizable. But that is another story the rest of you can find out in six weeks. For the moment, I'll share this finding we stumbled across in a storage room, no one has entered in all my years visiting PSP....

0CA4EC10-2B51-4722-A8B7-6E2072A75CE9_zps

7486DEC3-AA79-4715-A2FF-215FD46116C9_zps

1979 Flying V 2
Gibson had the idea to create a new challenging V design : the "V2"
Unfortunately due to their high price and esthetics, these guitars weren't as popular as the "standard" V.
The first batches were produced using V shaped pickups giving the guitar a thinner single coil low output.
First batches were in Natural finishes (Sandwich type mahogany and ash (I think).
Subsequenly several custom colors such as candy apple red, silverburst, "sparkling" bahama blue, black, sparkly black, sunbursts, etc. were produced.
A few batches down the line (approx end of 81 & 82), while facing little sales success, Gibson tried to sell the leftovers by fitting V"s with standard humbucker pickups. Those guitars do not have pickguards.

GIE0516bodft_0.jpg?itok=dLpcFCgQ

KineMxneT.gif

Nicely chosen, DB. I like the gold hardware, I like the bound headstock, and the color is exquisite!

Can I play it next month? Please? Pretty please???

Make sure you don't eat chicken wings first. I am still finding pieces of chicken in my fretboard after you had wings at Rhythm and Brews in Greer !

Archived