Heritage Owners Club

EH-150

JeffB

Ok, I might not know what Im asking here after a quick 2minute search and read. :)

Umm, that's a seriously strange amp to lust over. First off, the early Gibson amps were more or less built one by one, so the circuit in any individual amp may or may not match the schematic. And the two common schematics bear little in common: one is transformer coupled for the PI, the other looks like a proper long-tailed PI. One uses 6N6 output tubes, the other 6L6, different preamp tubes, mildly different topology... And to say that any "old amp" is going to sound the same seems more hopeful than helpful, very few old amps used those tubes or that style of PI, plus few used field coil speakers (or still have them).

So, what are your options:
1. Grab any really old tube amp and hope it sounds like what you want.
2. Do some research, figure out which version you want, find the chassis and transformers out of an old tube organ and build the amp you want (or have it built, which is an expensive way to go).
3. Set out on an epic voyage to find THE EH150 you want...
4. Figure out what it is about the sound you like and find a modern amp that reproduces it. A relatively low powered amp with long-tailed PI, like a narrow panel tweed super clone might do it (or a brown Deluxe or Super clone).

How about a pedal that gets close :D

..... :icon_scratch: its probably a 1941 microphone I want!!

Ok... I had to look it up. A vintage small tube amp that gets nice overdrive when hit with humbuckers.. but cleans up nice when played softer.

Can't offer a specific choice, but it seems like an older Supro or other vintage small amps would fit this bill.

I've got one of these. Its probably a lot closer to the EH125, as it has 6V6s instead of the 6L6s. Its way different from modern amps. Heavy on the midrange, not a lot of top or bottom. REALLY early breakup. It made an appearance at PSP V a few years back.

National%20Amp.jpg

Here's a clip using the old National with my 535. I tracked all the guitars with that combination.

I have a couple of Randall modular amps that are just cooler than all get out. They use these modular preamps that you can pick up for as little as $100. However they then need to be modified. I had a guy on the east coast mod one of mine to a 1949 Gibson GA 50. I was lusting after the Jim Hall sound. One of the amps uses el84s in the power section and it wasn't quite right. However in the bigger amp which uses either EL34s or 6L6's in the power section, the preamp just nailed it. A big ol' jazz box and that amp and I have warmth for days. I am sure he could get you in the ballpark cloning the preamp. Go to jadedfaithmods.com and then click on mats mods and scroll down. I just noticed he has a picture of my preamp on there!

I came to the conclusion that it was an EH-185 that was the amp I was probably interested in.

Not only that but I became obsessed with 1940's ribbon microphones for a week. After all, they were collecting the sounds bouncing around the rooms at the time.

Charlie Christian used the EH150 and I think was using the EH185 around the time this was recorded

Not a modern sound :) and not everyones cup of tea

But Im fascinated by the guy and his gear. Other guys around that time also, right up to the 50s before music went dumb ;) (jk)

I was able spent a bit of time this week playing with various mics and amps getting an idea of what some of these older mics and new updated versions of them can do to the sound of the gear you are using.

We had a pv classic 30, blues jnr and a champ in the room and a few semi and hollow body guitars to use.

I think that any of those amps were close enough even though none were spot on.

Through the monitor speakers it was interesting to hear the difference in mic's and at different distances from the amps.

Its a pretty deep pool to throw money in. All of it. Im not going to wade in it other than by a cheapish ribbon mic.

I have been inspired though. At least I want to play again. :)

I've got one of these. Its probably a lot closer to the EH125, as it has 6V6s instead of the 6L6s. Its way different from modern amps. Heavy on the midrange, not a lot of top or bottom. REALLY early breakup. It made an appearance at PSP V a few years back.

National%20Amp.jpg

Here's a clip using the old National with my 535. I tracked all the guitars with that combination.

That almost sounds dumble-ish to me in some ways! Cant quite put my finger on whose dumble sound though. Thats a great sound. Cool looking amp as well. Thanks for posting

You might find a newer alternative to use or modify. Gibson has created an Ephiphone reissue of a very similar amp.

The Epiphone 1939 Century is a faithful replica of the classic 1930s era cabinet design including bent rims, an all-metal handle, 6-point star screws, and vintage style grill cloth but with newly designed all-tube electronics. Plus, the 1939 Century includes three uniquely voiced inputs and an internal bias adjustment for further tone control.

In the late 30s, Epiphone was already blazing a trail for what founder Epi Stathopoulo saw as the futurethe electric guitar. And now in the 21st century, the 1939 Century Amp returns with a modern all-tube amp design with a powerful, full-toned 12 Electar speaker in a compact, easy-to-carry, cabinet that has been featured in every vintage guitar book!

10BCCAFE-168F-406C-9459-9B7BAD6A94E8_zps

Hey Josh, I did check those out online as an alternative.

Really, it all came back to a reality check :)

I just love the music from that period. Musicians playing their butts off. One take wonders.

The recording gear by todays standards is pretty terrible but for me the musicianship rises above the gear used then. Google that stuff, amazing old technology!

I did buy a cheap, more than that, a cheap and sonically crappy passive ribbon mic.

Buying the mic and experimenting with it for a whole 15minutes lead me to understand that if I continued down the path of buying cheap and sonically crappy gear I would soon end up at a point where I could easily emulate the "sounds" of that time period.

The rest of it is being in a room of musicians working hard having a good time and throwing their enthusiasm and musical ability in to the mix. Stuff you cant buy.

Archived