Heritage Owners Club

H150 LW weight relief method

Vanschoyck

I think that everyone that I recall commenting on owning one had very positive things to say about the chambered LW models .

Or there is also the option , like they do on the H-157W models, to specify a certain weight range for the mahogany.

In the past I've gone on record for denouncing, bashing and berating the very idea of weight relieving the cherished guitar originally designed by Mr. Les Paul. But then I passed the 50 year old milestone and suffered a significant back injury which changed my whole perspective on life. I do a lot of things differently now. For starters, I don't say a word when anyone wants to have a light weight "Les Paul design" like the H-150 or H-157. Secondly, between trying to be nice to my lower back and also dealing with a 50 pound beer gut, I find myself favoring thin bodied light weight guitars. Most of my guitars fit that bill and also have belly cuts.

To anyone who is concerned about tone I would say, start by getting a better amp first. If you can afford only one amp, get the most expensive and versatile tube amp you can buy and all your guitars will sound a whole lot better right out of the gate.

From my experience with an H-170LW, the sound was more "hollow" sounding but not necessarily in a bad way. Just different from a solidbody.

I wholeheartedly concur about that particular H-170.....it sounded more like the tone of my H535 than any of my other H-150s or H-137.

I traded that one for a really nice '91 Taylor 710-LTD but miss having it around from time to time....might even try and get her back someday if for nothing the gigantic neck it has!!! Biggest Heritage neck I've probably played yet.

I wholeheartedly concur about that particular H-170.....it sounded more like the tone of my H535 than any of my other H-150s or H-137.

I traded that one for a really nice '91 Taylor 710-LTD but miss having it around from time to time....might even try and get her back someday if for nothing the gigantic neck it has!!! Biggest Heritage neck I've probably played yet.

That certainly was one huge @ss neck!!!

If that is the H-170LW Gold Top, I'd like to find it. I wouldn't mind buying it back.

I hear that. As far as I know it's still with the fella I traded it to here near Detroit. He had recently found himself a white whale H-150 and was pretty jazzed up about bringing on the H-170. Hell of a player...turned me onto Allen Amplification.

I'll check and see if I can't track down his email.

To anyone who is concerned about tone I would say, start by getting a better amp first. If you can afford only one amp, get the most expensive and versatile tube amp you can buy and all your guitars will sound a whole lot better right out of the gate.

Boy, I completely agree about the amp. The good news is there are so many great amps being made now to choose from, the bad news is there are so many great amps to try and choose from. Been looking at amps for a couple years and gone a little crazy from the search. Guitars are easier.

Boy, I completely agree about the amp. The good news is there are so many great amps being made now to choose from, the bad news is there are so many great amps to try and choose from. Been looking at amps for a couple years and gone a little crazy from the search. Guitars are easier.

One word good Sir........

Boogie.

Boogie.

A very good word, and they've been on my list of consideration. If I did settle on a Boogie it would be my 3rd. I used to have a MkIII simul class head and 2 x 12 cab, and I still have my 50 Caliber. A very nice amp, but the last time I played a rock and roll gig I used a DRRI that worked very well. Then there's the new Marshall hand wired 1974x, Dirty Girl, Top Hat, Victoria, Swart, on and on, I'm so confused! And like with the guitar, weight is an issue.

I have a H157LW and love it! It is not only light but has every bit of that creamy tone and sustain you want from a Les Paul type guitar. I have not one bad word to say. I also have a Gibson R7 which is not weight relieved and is awesome too ... But the 157 is every bit as good and then some.

Boogie.

A very good word, and they've been on my list of consideration. If I did settle on a Boogie it would be my 3rd. I used to have a MkIII simul class head and 2 x 12 cab, and I still have my 50 Caliber. A very nice amp, but the last time I played a rock and roll gig I used a DRRI that worked very well. Then there's the new Marshall hand wired 1974x, Dirty Girl, Top Hat, Victoria, Swart, on and on, I'm so confused! And like with the guitar, weight is an issue.

If you want to get a Boogie, just get a Mark 5:25 or Mark 5:35 and be done with it. Problem solved. :)

Mesa player here. I've have/had the F50, Maverick (Prototype #90), Dual Rec (nice on Push), Lonestar "Classic" V1 (#450 ... I still have this, weighs 90lbs! my absolute fav Mesa current), Mark IV (dumb dumb to let that go!) and am currently rockin' (er, countrying?) a TA15 w/112 wide body cab. The new smaller "lunchbox" size Mesa's really take care of the weight issue. Check out the head and cab combo and you're golden. I'd really like to try that new Mark 5:25 as Hangar suggests. 16lbs!! I can still manage 16lbs.

Mesa player here. I've have/had the F50, Maverick (Prototype #90), Dual Rec (nice on Push), Lonestar "Classic" V1 (#450 ... I still have this, weighs 90lbs! my absolute fav Mesa current), Mark IV (dumb dumb to let that go!) and am currently rockin' (er, countrying?) a TA15 w/112 wide body cab. The new smaller "lunchbox" size Mesa's really take care of the weight issue. Check out the head and cab combo and you're golden. I'd really like to try that new Mark 5:25 as Hangar suggests. 16lbs!! I can still manage 16lbs.

The Mark 5:25 has something like 6 amps in one including the Lonestar, and other goodies too.

It kind of reminds me of my CS336, without f holes. It has a routed out mahogany body and maple top. It's the one on the far right.

panorama_zpsq7jpeeze.jpg

While Heritage has been producing the LW models for some time, it seems in recent years Gibson has been taking a few design cues from Heritage. That CS336 is a prime example.

I think this is one of the best Les Pauls for sale online right now...only 8lbs 1oz

who cares about the routing...it's light on the shoulders, WILL sound amazing, and your audience won't give 2 hoots whether its routed or not...

http://eddiesguitars.com/Heritage-H-157-Light-Weight-Almond-Sunburst/

Wow, :icon_thumleft: I like it!

That one is just about what I ordered 13 years ago, but back then, they didn't have the LW model.

Heritage%20H-157%20Almond%20Sunburst%20%H157%20C86B.jpg

Archived