Heritage Owners Club

Ya buys yer ticket...

myoldfriend

...ya takes yer chances:

Saw an H150 online last week in a particular color/finish, the name of which, appeals to me more than the actual images of said color (faded cherry). I imagine it's not one of the more popular finishes in a 150, though several seem to have surfaced here and there recently. The modest flame that poked through the nitro was attractive enough but one other feature grabbed my attention. Where's Waldo, anyone?

jjcq2ejub6kemtggyhvm.jpg

That's right, what appears to be a white switch with a black tip. Cut to the chase - I submitted a fairly low offer given the copy made no mention of what kind of pickups were present or if the guitar was in its original condition, expecting my meager offering to be summarily dismissed. What do you know, the seller accepted. Quickly. Then the remorse set in. Do I really want a fuscia guitar with stock Schallers? Meh. IIRC, someone else on the board recently succumbed to the temptation of a black-dot tip on an instrument that wasn't a keeper. But what if...?

Well, a four-foot tall box arrived today that looked like it was on its eighth of nine lives with more tape around it than an Egyptian mummy :icon_pale:. Opened the sarcophagus (nary an inch of bubble wrap or a single packing peanut) and pulled out the bounty: strings with a lovely sheen of burnt umber. Enough greasy smudges on the body as if personally packed by "back-room-bob" after he finished his lunch of In-N-Out burger no doubt. Animal style. With fries. Pickup covers looked awfully shiny to me. Brand new as a matter of fact. Not only that, but the pickup rings are pristine. Oh well. Dare I check the inside of the control cover?

ctlCover_zpsiv7wytz0.jpg

Hope springs... Yet there isn't so much as a fingerprint on the pickup covers. Did I mention this is a "W" serial number. Yep, that's right, 2006. And the tailpiece is caked with sweat and lord-knows-what-else. Maybe back-room-bob banged out a couple or 40 bars of Stairway To Heaven before packing 'er up?

Why on earth did the seller immediately accept such a low offer? Pickup roulette anybody?

Sweet!

Great guitar and sounds like it was a really good buy as well.

Eager to see if the HRWs are still in there. However, with your description of the rest of the guitar vs. the condition of the pickup covers........I'd probably bet against.

Again, sweet guitar, awesome color, congrats!

arte.jpg

Very interesting!

Nothin' wrong with faded cherry. My 535 is that color, and it looks great, nothing even close to fuscia. Nothin' wrong is maybe getting a set of HRWs for a lowball price.

How are the frets and setup? If they are ok, then you probably just stumbled into a sweet deal!

Sweet!

Great guitar and sounds like it was a really good buy as well.

Eager to see if the HRWs are still in there. However, with your description of the rest of the guitar vs. the condition of the pickup covers........I'd probably bet against.

Again, sweet guitar, awesome color, congrats!

Thanks - the color really is already growing on me - not at all like the posted pics.. And besides the original pickups(!) she really cleaned up well...

arte.jpg

Very interesting!

Nothin' wrong with faded cherry. My 535 is that color, and it looks great, nothing even close to fuscia. Nothin' wrong is maybe getting a set of HRWs for a lowball price.

How are the frets and setup? If they are ok, then you probably just stumbled into a sweet deal!

Nothing wrong at all - in person the color is much different that the posted pics - definitely a keeper. And a sweet deal indeed! :good_mini:

Frets don't have any wear. Setup is ok. Gonna clean up the fretboard, restring, intonate and plug her in.

Besides the original pickups...

brPkup2_zps29sxvgza.jpg

There's some really nice wood grain to compliment the flame figuring:

body_zpsckobziwn.jpg

Looks like you bought an "E" ticket. Prepare for a fun ride.

Tell us, how did you beat BrentRocks to this guitar?

Heritage has put out some rather flamboyant colored guitars; Blue, Bahama burst, purple and now this... It has taken time with every one of those finishes before I began to appreciate them. Akin to the others, the more I see yours, the more I like it. Congrats!

On the surface, it seems like a great deal. HRW's are fantastic in my opinion.

My only thought is some sort of structural flaw. I'd take it in for a professional setup and make sure the neck isn't twisted. I've seen that once or twice. I didn't notice it a first, but then wondered why the bridge and tailpiece heights varied greatly on either side of the posts.

I'd also take the steps to pulling the pickups and taking a peak in the back for the HRW stickers.

Pickup rings on Heritages crack frequently because the deep dish carve they have.

Just food for thought.

Looks like you bought an "E" ticket. Prepare for a fun ride.

Tell us, how did you beat BrentRocks to this guitar?

Heritage has put out some rather flamboyant colored guitars; Blue, Bahama burst, purple and now this... It has taken time with every one of those finishes before I began to appreciate them. Akin to the others, the more I see yours, the more I like it. Congrats!

Wait a minute - is this the same Brent as Reverb's "BRENT'S GUITAR EMPORIUM"? No wonder he didn't go after it, he already has a beauty of a cherry 150 with a bound headstock, even though it is for sale at the moment:

knwioqp9ta5cucpxjhgt.jpg

Nice one. A quick clean up and a set up and then you're ready to roll.

Well played in regards to the HRW's .. should be a sweet tone. And all at a bargain, can't beat that.

Thank you, Sir. Now I'm wondering if there is an A/B comparison between ThroBaks and HRWs... I know ThroBak has a number of different models - just curious. Going one step further (and they are way out of my league) it would be interesting putting HRWs up against Tom Holmes' PAFs; tho I could never see shelling out that kind of coin for a pair of pickups!

Cool beans on the pickups!! I'd have lost a couple clams on my bet.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Right on! Add the one-piece back that I just noticed it has and I am feeling like I just hit the lottery (well almost...)

Archived